The work experience section of your resume is a listing of your accomplishments and key responsibilities for each relevant job referenced on your resume. If you’re light on practical work experience, related courses and internships can also be included within this section. The work experience section is an important part of your resume because it gives a hiring manager or prospective employer a better idea of what you can bring to the position based on your previous accomplishments with other employers.
What to Include in a Computers & Technology Resume Work Experience Section
Your computers & technology resume work experience section should be accomplishment-driven rather than simply a list of duties. Use quantitative examples whenever possible to emphasize your unique achievements and highlight the ways you benefited your company. As a general rule, your computers & technology resume work experience section shouldn’t go back more than 15-20 years, as recent employment tends to carry more weight with hiring managers, especially when it comes to any position involving technology. If you have no practical work experience, relevant coursework and non-related jobs can be listed to highlight desirable abilities and traits or indicate a steady work history.
How to Format a Computers and Technology Resume Work Experience Section
The computers & technology resume work experience section is listed in reverse chronological order, with your current or most recent position referenced first. Always include the date of each experience, which can be just the year or the year and month for jobs that lasted less than a year. You should then list your title, the name of the company and the location as only the city and state. Use present tense for your current position and past tense for prior experiences. Present your accomplishments and duties as a bullet list of 5-8 items for easy readability, and always opt for action words instead of resume clichés like “responsible for” to catch the attention of the reader.
Example of a Computers and Technology Resume Work Experience Section
February 2014 – Present
- Design, implement and maintain lag-tolerant server applications.
- Maintain TCP/IP connections supporting more than 100,000 concurrent users.
- Confirm software prototype feasibility by quickly performing performance evaluations to minimize design expenses.
- Identified a major software performance error prior to production, saving the company thousands of dollars.
- Collaborate with the design team to upgrade interfaces and improve software performance.
September 2012 – January 2014
Riverfront Systems, New Cityland, CA
- Actively participated in the conversion of operations software.
- Applied SEO concepts while redesigning Internet and Intranet pages to boost traffic.
- Assisted with the implementation of a computer-based bar-coding process that improved shipping rates by nearly 15 percent.
- Researched and assisted with the installation of a local area network (LAN) that connected the main office with the warehouse.
- Resolved a memory corruption issue and recommended an effective preventative measure.
Now that you have a better idea of how to put together your computers & technology resume work experience section, the next step is to incorporate this section into a completed resume that highlights your capabilities, accomplishments and potential. MyPerfectResume’s Resume Builder is a handy tool you can use to create an effective resume designed to quickly catch the eyes of prospective employers.