Business & Employer Rankings
Target the best employers and the top companies according to these many surveys.
Among their other Lists and Rankings, you will certainly want to look at
- The Fortune 500 from Fortune Magazine.
- …browse the list by Company, CEO, or industry. You can also search by Company or CEO. The new list is issued in April each year. Under the main 500 you’ll find mini-listings for the best employers, the diversity leaders, and the Women CEOs.
- Fortune’s Global 500
- …a ranking of the largest companies in the world. You can review the list by company name, CEO, or Industry.
Forbes is now requiring readers to register to read some articles on their web site. It’s free, fast, you don’t have to give them your name, and you only get their enewsletters if you decide to check the boxes (the default is you don’t get any of them.)
- The Forbes’ Lists
- Rather than try to point you to each of their lists as they update each year, I’m going to point you to their page of lists. For Employer Rankings, this includes:
- 200 Best Small Cos.
- 400 Best Big Cos.
- Forbes 500s
- Forbes International 500
- Global 2000
- Largest Private Companies.
There are other lists here for People, Places, and Lifestyles, but most of them can be saved for a rainy day.
- Branham Group’ Branham 300
- Each year, the Branham Group ranks the top 300 Canadian Information Technology (IT) companies. The rankings are divided into 8 categories, including the 100 Top Software Companies, 100 Top IT Professional Services, 25 Top IT Multinationals in Canada, 25 Up and Coming Technology Firms, 20 Top Wireless Technology Companies, 10 Top Internet Service Providers, 10 Top Application Service Providers, and 10 Top Telecom Wireless Service Providers. Click on the company’s name for very short profile. Neat feature – they watch these companies during the year and update the list as needed.
- Entrepreneur.com’s Franchise Zone
- …here you’ll find the Franchise 500, their annual ranking of the best franchising opportunities in the world. They do an extensive background check on these too. "Only franchise companies that submitted full Uniform Franchise Offering Circulars (UFOCs) or Alberta, Canada, disclosure documents were eligible to receive a listing in the magazine. In addition, only those companies that have a U.S. or Alberta, Canada, disclosure document, and only those whose information Entrepreneur verified from the disclosure documents, are eligible to be ranked-giving us the top 500 franchises. " Search by keyword or state/region or browse by business category.
- ComputerWorld’s Special Reports
- A variety of surveys, most done annually by ComputerWorld. Among this list you’ll find their annual Best Places to Work in IT, the Premier 100 IT Leaders, and Emerging Companies to Watch. To access this full list, scroll down the front page, but not too fast, and look for the appropriate spot and menu box in the center of the screen.
- The Inc. 5000
- …the top 5000 "small businesses" according to Inc Magazine. Also includes a benchmarking form so you can see how your business ranks against these. The current list is available online, along with a searchable database of prior Inc 500 winners (Yes, it used to be just 500, now it’s five thousand).
- Review the full list of companies trading on this exchange, review flashquotes for a select list you choose (up to 25 at a time), and much more.
- The 2010 Post 200, the Washington Post
- "our annual guide to the region’s biggest companies, banks, law firms and other organizations. The list is really a collection of lists, composed of all the different kinds of institutions that power our economy.[…] The Post 200 starts with a list of the 90 largest public companies with headquarters in the District and its suburbs. The rest of the list is made up of many of the largest private companies and nonprofit groups headquartered in the area; the region’s largest employers, law firms and lobbying organizations; its major sports teams, hospital operators and universities; and foreign companies with U.S. headquarters in the area." These are not just major players in the DC areas. In some cases they are major employers across the US or even around the world.
- Top 100 U.S. Foundations
- …"the 100 largest U. S. grantmaking foundations ranked by the market value of their assets, based on the most current data in the Foundation Center’s database…" There are other ranking lists also available from this page, including top corporate grantmakers and largest community foundations. Updated annually or as new audited financial information becomes available.
Check the Business Magazines for more rankings.
- Best Places to Work, Glassdoor.com
- Their fourth annual Employees’ Choice Awards for Best Places to Work. "Our Top 50 winners were selected by the people who know these companies best â€” their employees!" You can review the full list, and if you scroll down the right side, you can sort the list by a few major geographic areas. Rankings for the past 3 years are accessible.
- CareerBliss’ 50 Happiest Companies for 2012
- …"ranked the highest among their employees on the key factors that contribute to the overall happiness at work, including the company culture, the work they do, how they work and the people they work with." #1 is Hilton Worldwide.
- Computerworld’s 100 Best Places to Work in IT
- …updates annually. We sincerely hope that all the goodwill shown to the IT staff is spread across the entire organization.
- Working Mother
- Click on "Working Mother Exclusive" to view their lists of 100 Best Companies in various categories.
- ..DogFriendly.com is a nice little place online for folks with dogs. Check out all kinds of places that let you bring Fido or Fifi with you when you travel. Best of all, check out their list of dog-friendly employers! Yes, companies that let you bring your well-behaved best friend with you to work. The list is divided into US (by state, not all with listings) or "worldwide" (Canada, England, and Israel are the only non-US locations listed at this time). For the rest of you who wish you could convince your employer that having a dog around will actually help, there are sample guidelines and benefits for you to work with.
- Fortune and Forbes Lists
- …they both give us all kinds of ways to look at things, and they just love to rank stuff.