April 8, 2009
This is an actual email I received. The company referenced in the email, Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), is real. However, that is the only real part of this communication. Not even the company’s website was communicated correctly in the message.As you read this email, please note the following:
- The return email is not the company but a hotmail or gmail account. (Both in fact) A legitimate corporate recruiter will use his or her corporate email account.
- The URL for the corporate website is incorrect. It should be http://www.adnoc.ae.
- There are numerous spelling and grammatical errors, many more than could be attributed to someone for whom English is not the primary language.
- They are referencing a real website where they supposedly found my CV/resume. I certainly never posted it there.
- They need a scan of my passport attached to a return email immediately. This is just like asking for your bank account number.
I asked an international recruiter about the passport scan, and he responded that "I do not ask for a scan of the candidate’s passport until I have interviewed him or her and extended an actual job offer." So, as with your Social Security Number, this should be protected until have an actual job offer.
I visited the ADNOC website to review their current job openings which are divided into jobs for citizens of the UAE and jobs for persons of other nationalities, and while they currently have numerous openings for non-UAE citizens, they also specify that their email address for receiving CVs/resumes is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:52:03 +0400
From: "ADNOC DUBAI"
Subject: job offer!
We have confirmed your CV/Resume, a (WWW.TIMESJOB.COM) and in this mail you will find the current positions where expatriates are needed in our Company.
All the positions include these below benefits:
1. Three Bedroom Flat Duplex
2. Free Medical & Travel Insurance
3. 10 Days Leave / break/ Vacation after every 90 working days
4. Flight Fares (Air Tickets)
5. Free Education Scheme to expatriates children/family
6. Free Toyota Camry 2009 Model.
A. One Reference Letter
B. Passport Copy
The Documents should be provided to us through scan e-mail attachment For Fast processing, because all the positions need expatriates" who Can be able to start up employment on April 2009 and March 2009, and all the Arrangement need to be made as fast as possible.
Below is the current available Job position in ABU DHABI NATIONAL OIL COMPANY (ADNOC). So kindly reply us with your CV resume for our confirmation to Enable us to proceed regarding to employ you in our organization.
Job #1: Equipment controller
Job #2: Operations manager
Job #3: Senior operation executive
Job #4: General Manager
Job #5: Customer service
Job #6: Team leader
Job #7: Shipping operations
Job #8: Tramp & cruise officer
Job #9: Senior executive
Job #10: Dry cargo & projects coordinator
Job #11: Purchase manager
Job #12: Documentation assistant
Job #13: Manager in seaways
Job #14: Shipping manager
Job #15: Management trainee
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Dr Davids Nurudeen.
Human Resources Dept.
Learn more about Scams and Schemes in Work and Employment Services from The Riley Guide.