This page includes links to directories of newspapers as well as business news sources that can be useful in researching employers or learning as much as possible about a geographic area before moving there.
There are so many newspapers and magazines online now that it’s much better for me to give you the directories that list these publications and let you find those you need.
- List of Newspapers
- The site’s name says it all. Links to over 25,000 newspapers from around the world. What else can I say? No contact info, so don’t register for this site if ever asked.
- …this site features one of the largest collections of links to newspapers and magazines online, divided into lists according to location, frequency, or newspaper type (business, alternatives, dailies, specialty papers, etc.)
- US Newspapers List
- … a listing of newspapers and other media outlets arranged by state. Includes college newspapers.
- List of Newspapers from 50states.com
- …links to over 3300 newspapers across the US. Select a state, then scan down the list. You’ll see the city/location in which the paper is published to the right. This free site is sponsored by Marchex, but it was started by a parent who wanted to help his kids with their social studies homework.
- State Press Associations
- Provided by the Newspaper Association of America, this list provides contact information (and website links) for all state and regional press associations across the US. Each one offers something a little different, but they are all the same in that they will connect you with the print (and usually online) news outlets for their locations.
- Offers an extensive list of newspapers from around the world. Excellent way to find local employment listings, local issues and information, and much more.
You can follow the latest business news as well as some of the latest industry and management trends right here.
- …home of American City Business Journals, Inc., this news portal tends to cover the more local issues that may not get picked up by the majors. Other features here include News by Industry, Talks & Rumors (by city), Top of the Lists ("biggest, brightest, and largest" by city), Small Biz Success and the Small Biz Toolbox (articles by topic and forms for your business needs, many ready to be added to Excel or opened in Word and customized for your business.) Free registration is required to access some areas of the site (email address, select a password, tell them where you are located, and what business you are in.)
- BusinessWeek Online
- … full text of articles from the print magazine, a selected browsable archive back to late 1995; a daily briefing section, and lots of info for the entrepreneur and investor.
- The Economist
- …The International weekly journal of news, ideas, opinion and analysis. Includes articles from various issues, other interesting magazines in their publishing house, and some of their surveys.
- Fast Company
- …it’s not your father’s business magazine. It’s not even your mother’s. In fact, it may not even be yours! However, it’s got some new ways of looking at the old problems and cuts right to the heart of every issue under investigation.. Check out the Knowledge Exchange.
- …Daily news releases along with information from the magazine. Forbes is now requiring readers to register to read some articles on their web site. It’s free, fast, you don’t have to give them your name, and you only get their enewsletters if you decide to check the boxes (the default is you don’t get any of them.)
- … online version including the Fortune 500 and other lists. Fortune is now a part of CNNMoney, and also includes Money Magazine
- Inc. Magazine
- … online version of the magazine for small business featuring many items not in the print edition.
- US News and World Report
- …weekly edition, archives, plus the guide to graduate schools
Use these resources to search for articles on various topics, including company names, their products, and their staff.. Each index will provide you with a list of articles and their sources. It’s a quick way to review the current news (from 1998 to the present) to see what’s up.
- …a new partnership between LookSmart and the Gale Group (publisher of research and reference materials for libraries, businesses), and information technologists. The site offers free access to the full-text of articles published in over 350 magazines and journals dating from 1998. Users can search the database by keyword and by one of the nine subject categories (Arts & Entertainment, Computers & Technology, Reference & Education, Sports, etc.). Search returns include article title, periodical, and short description, with a link to the full-text, which is conveniently and quickly displayed at the FindArticles site, though with numerous advertising banners. Visitors can also view a list of the publications indexed, alphabetically or by subject.
- ixquick metasearch
- …neat feature. Their News search is not newsgroups but News sites like CNN.com, AP, Reuters, and a few of the major online newspapers. I’m going to be honest. I didn’t check to see if you could read the articles for free, but I think most of these sources will let you read anything from the past 5-10 days for free.
- …an index service for online magazines. This site helps you find individual magazine articles on the web. Use the search engine or click on a category to browse through article listings. Please note that their content is limited to 1999 and later. Yes, you can find a list of what they index, the start date, and the most current issue in their database.
- …nice gateway to all kinds of news sources. It divides them by category, but doesn’t forget those side benefits of most news sources (crossword puzzles, comics, etc.)
- …if you prefer your headlines from the BBC and your financial news from the FT, then this should be in your favorites list. NewsNow pulls the news from these sites (plus entertainment and sports) and updates it all day long every 5 minutes (reload your browser to get the latest headlines.)
- …fast paced news releases with a searchable index covering information for the last 48 hours. Also hosts a nice section of corporate profiles and other great resources.
- Yahoo! News
- … updated all day long. Select the category you want to read.