Unions, Associations, & Societies
Lists for You to Search
The many unions and associations that represent persons employed in many fields and occupations are excellent sources of information on career options as well as what training and education is needed and where to get it.
You may also be interested in our jobs in nonprofits and professional associations. We have many links to individual associations and organizations under the appropriate categories on our Job search pages.
There is an overlap in many resources between Professional and Industry Associations. Some accept memberships from individual practitioners, some only accept organizational memberships. You will need to look at the "About Us" and Memberships areas to see which is which. Both can offer you opportunities to find employers, networking events, and even jobs.
- ASAE, the Center for Leadership
- ASAE is a terrific resource for anyone looking for association or anyone interested in careers and jobs with associations. Along with all the great information here, ASAE maintains directories of associations, suppliers, and consultants for easy search and retrieval.
- DirectJobs.com, was AssociationJobBoards.com
- … an online portal to hundreds of job boards from professional associations that contract with Boxwood Technology, Inc. to provide their online career center. Intended to help employers and recruiters find the best place to target necessary professionals, it is a great friend to jobseekers in the many professions represented by these boards. You search by keyword and location in the search box, but the Advanced search will allow you to specify certain locations (US and international) and add in other criteria.
- Scholarly Societies Project
- Search or browse this list of scholarly and professional organizations on the Internet, many of whom include career information and job listings on their web sites. One of the best projects online, run from the University of Waterloo Library.
- …daily news and information on unions and organized labor, links to resources, and labor initiatives and activities <
- Union Jobs Clearinghouse
- …staffing and trade/apprenticeship positions across the US. This site was set up to centralize these position announcements. You can review the staffing listings geographically or alphabetically by posting organization. We are happy to say we are seeing numerous staffing positions as well as trades and apprenticeship listings.
Resources and information for specific union groups can be found under the relevant category in our list of Sites with Job Listings.
You can use trade association websites to find their members (i.e., employers) and review their websites for possible employment opportunities. Look for Member Lists (sometimes under "About Us"). While you are on the trade associations site, look around to see if they might host a job board for their members. Some do! You should also look at the resources listed under Scholarly Societies & Professional Associations as there is some overlap between professional and industry associations.
- International Trade Administration, US Dept of Commerce
- …"promotes trade and investment, and ensures fair trade through the rigorous enforcement of our trade laws and agreements. ITA works to improve the global business environment and helps U.S. organizations compete at home and abroad." Under "Data & Analysis" there is a list of US Industries. Select the industry that interests you, then look for "Industry Links" or "Trade Associations" to see lists of groups for you to review. Each page is a little different, so you may need to poke around a bit to find the lists, but they are there!
You may also find our links to Trade Shows & Conventions to be helpful.