Build Your CV
2948 Highway 48, Denver, CO 99999
E: email@example.com P: 999-999-3948
Talented costume designer with experience that ranges from dress of ancient civilizations to modern-day fashion trends. Previous work includes local theater, Broadway musicals, television shows, and major motion pictures. Extreme eye for detail, excellent time management skills, and the ability to communicate well with directors, makeup artists, writers, and actors ensure a qualified addition to any production team.
- Create and distribute checklists to the production team regarding dressing lists, show notes, and how to manage costume checks.
- Facilitate quick-change procedures during performances by arranging costumes in order of use and including all accessories with the main pieces.
- Fit cast members with costumes, examine them for alteration needs, and create sketches to denote how the costume should fit after alterations.
- Designed costumes and purchased clothing or fabric to create costumes based on production budgets.
- Checked costumes under show lights to determine if alterations were needed to create the desired effect.
- Collaborated with other costume designers and production team members to merge ideas and ensure visions matched.
- Shopped department stores, thrift shops, boutiques, garage sales, and online to acquire costume pieces including clothing, accessories, and shoes.
- Returned items to rental shops by due dates and ensured proper storage of purchased items between performances.
- Created stock inventory to determine what was readily available and what would need to be replenished before the next production.
In addition to working behind the scenes, I enjoy viewing theater performances and movies from the audience’s perspective. Each spring, I volunteer my abilities as a costume designer to my daughter’s high school production. Outside of the fine arts, I like to spend time gardening, hiking, and traveling to my family’s farm with my partner, our family, and our two miniature dachshunds.
Build Your CV
Costume Designer CV Must-Haves
What Does a Costume Designer Do?
A costume designer is responsible for creating actors’ and actresses’ costumes for theater productions, television shows, and movies. Costumes must fit the period in which the production falls as well as the directors’ and writers’ personal visions for their characters. Costume designers purchase or rent pieces as well as create them from scratch when necessary. They are responsible for fitting the cast, making alterations, storing the pieces, and returning those that were rented. A strong CV such as the one provided in the costume designer CV example is necessary to prove that you can do the job required of you in the industry.
Tips for Creating a Great Costume Designer CV
In addition to the ideas presented in the CV example, include the following guidelines in your CV:
– Do include relevant organizations or extracurricular activities you participated in, such as designing costumes for products at your college.
– Do not add personal or controversial information to your CV. For example, avoid listening your religion, political beliefs, or sexuality.
– Do use a strong paragraph for your professional summary, which is what helps hiring managers decide if they wish to keep reading and potentially call you for an interview.
– Do not include any information regarding why you left previous positions. You can answer this question in a professional manner if it comes up during the interview.
– Do read your CV to yourself, including out loud, several times to ensure you fix any spelling or grammar issues that could make you come across as unprofessional.