Build Your CV
905 Saratoga Street, Brooklyn, NY 11111
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 555-379-2987
Talented and immensely creative journalist with a commitment to high-quality research and writing. Proven history of achievement in the industry with more than 10 years of professional experience. Dedication to sound investigative research methods and a strong desire to know the truth of the matter. Excellent reporting and interviewing skills and award-winning writing techniques. Experience writing and reporting across a variety of platforms, including print, television, and online social media.
- Investigate questions and timely story ideas in the community as developments happen and create news stories detailing breaking events.
- Compose a variety of stories for print news and an additional online edition of a local newspaper by using research notes, assignment details, and other resources.
- Supervise up to six newsroom interns every college semester and guide student writers with the basics of working for a major organization.
- Published an online daily blog devoted to reporting news about the local area’s music, culture, and food scene.
- Interviewed community members for potential story ideas and feature writing assignments related to the arts and entertainment community.
- Recognized by the regional journalist association as a top online blogger for the year with an audience that had more than doubled within six months.
- Reported on assigned story ideas from an editor about crime and policing in the metro area and sought additional topics by using the police scanner.
- Revised and edited news stories as they were written to continue to meet the publication’s high level of standards for reporting.
- Achieved several awards for top reporting skills and writing in the local area and nationally.
Outside the office, I enjoy additional writing time in a different genre: historical fiction. I have written three self-published novels about the early colonial time period of America. I write stories of families based on the unique experience that early settlers faced in this country.
Build Your CV
Journalist CV Must-Haves
What Does a Journalist Do?
A job as a journalist can be an exciting career with a variety of unique job responsibilities each day. The main focus of this job is to research, write, and report stories about news and events. Journalists may work with television media, print sources, or online publications. Each day, journalists spend time conducting research about specific story ideas and topics. They may need to contact essential people and participate in interviews to uncover information. Then, as you can see in the journalist CV example, they spend the rest of their time developing and writing a story. During the writing stage, a journalist may need to go back and revise and edit her or his words until everything is right. Finally, the story is submitted to an editor for approval and publication.
Tips for Creating a Great Journalist CV
If you want to be considered for the next journalist job you want, it’s essential to get your CV right. Here are some things to do to achieve this:
– Make sure your writing skills are demonstrated as excellent throughout your CV; even though it’s a different style of writing, you can still impress a hiring manager.
– Give examples of any awards or recognition you’ve won and earned during your writing career to show off your commitment to superior results.
– Highlight any times during your writing career where you improved readership or drew significant interest from your audience to a piece or your blog.
– Make sure you spend a good deal of time on properly reviewing and proofreading your CV so you don’t embarrass yourself and make a spelling or grammatical mistake.
– Demonstrate strong and varied word choice throughout your document by choosing impactful verbs to bring your former job duties to life.