Catching the attention of a law firm you wish to work for requires a strong CV that showcases your best skills, accomplishments, and personality traits. Creating an excellent CV requires formatting skills, concise writing, and an ability to proofread well. Here is a sample professional lawyer CV example to help you work on your own. Use the examples in combination with the guidelines provided to land the job you have your sights set on.
Build Your CV
123 Elm Street, Toledo, OH 11111
E: email@example.com P: 321-654-9876
Seasoned lawyer with more than 20 years of experience working on a wide variety of cases. Committed to ongoing education in order to always provide the best service possible. Excellent command of the English and Spanish languages. Personable and compassionate attorney who has argued some of the most prominent cases in the city. Determined, hardworking, and comfortable working alone or with a team of other lawyers on all types of cases.
- Meet with potential clients to discuss their cases and determine how to best help them receive the outcome they seek.
- Represent clients in a professional yet aggressive manner in court in an attempt to help them win their cases.
- Gather evidence and other information to use when developing litigation and defense strategies.
- Met with clients to mediate civil disputes and help them negotiate settlements out of court whenever possible.
- Acted as an agent, guardian, and executor for businesses and individuals in need of legal guidance for finances and assets.
- Prepared and reviewed legal documents, including leases, wills, patent applications, and other legally binding contracts.
- Obtained information about both plaintiffs and defendants for partners to use to create litigation strategies for their cases.
- Handled complaints and settled disputes to ensure clients were as satisfied with the firm as possible.
- Established and maintained relationships with clients and other team members to create a comfortable work environment for all involved.
In my spare time, I volunteer my services pro bono to underprivileged individuals who need family court lawyers for divorce, child custody, and other family law matters. Outside of law, I enjoy sports, the theater, and spending time with my partner, our three children, and our pet dachshund.
Build Your CV
Lawyer CV Must-Haves
What Does a Lawyer Do?
A lawyer is responsible for representing individuals and businesses in criminal and civil litigation or legal proceedings. Lawyers create a wide range of legal documents, advise clients regarding their legal transactions, and argue cases in front of a judge when necessary. Lawyers are responsible for being excellent communicators and investigators. They must be proficient in city, state, and federal laws. Some lawyers specialize in a specific area, such as criminal law or family law. Lawyers must be able to analyze possible outcomes of cases and use their knowledge and educated guesses to come up with the proper strategies for arguing cases. The lawyer CV example provides more detail about exactly what is expected of a lawyer.
Tips for Creating a Great Lawyer CV
Now that you understand what to include on a professional CV, it is important to keep the following guidelines in mind:
– Do use your professional summary to upsell your best skills and accomplishments. Don’t be afraid to speak highly of yourself. This is exactly what a law firm is looking for. You will not seem full of yourself.
– Do not get too personal on your CV. Avoid providing information about your religion, political views, or anything else that may be deemed unprofessional.
– Do double-check the information you provide and proofread thoroughly to prevent silly mistakes that will make you look unprofessional.
– Do not use an unprofessional email address or one that is tied to your current job. Create a professional-sounding email address to use for job hunting.
– Do use bullet points for your skills and job duties. Doing so ensures your CV is easy to skim over, which a busy law firm will appreciate.