Having a well-written and professional CV is a major asset, and you may find that hiring managers won’t pay attention to you unless you have one. Examining a mechanical design engineer CV example, such as the one provided below, and the following tips is a great way to start your own. Replace the information in this sample with your own experience and interests, and you’ll be on your way to a curriculum vitae that will impress future employers.
Build Your CV
4963 Seneca Street, Boise, Idaho 11111
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 555-485-3711
Highly trained mechanical design engineer with finely tuned technical writing, critical thinking, and collaborative skills. Experienced in prototyping, simulating, and testing power machinery in a high-stakes environment. Led multiple specialized teams during previous employment and earned recognition for outstanding creative solutions. Excelled in both practical skills and face-to-face communication settings. Studied and applied environmental regulations to design safe, responsible, and sustainable products. Noted for exceptional environmental ethics; I refuse to cut corners, and always encourage my team to work more efficiently rather than skimp on quality for the sake of a deadline.
- Design innovative power machines that conform to government regulations and buyer expectations.
- Study and accommodate for rapidly changing environmental regulations.
- Coordinate major company projects, often with limited time.
- Manage teams of up to 30 people.
- Communicate with buyers.
- Earned recognition for three different projects executed with superior quality.
- Designed power machines for a variety of markets.
- Contributed to groups of various sizes.
- Reported on the progress of the group to superiors and buyers in technical language.
- Commended on several occasions for outstanding teamwork mentality.
- Assisted design engineers with major and minor project details.
- Learned new skills quickly in a high-stakes atmosphere.
- Succeeded in the internship position while attending university classes at the same time.
- Performed well enough to be offered a job upon completion of the internship.
I enjoy spending time with my family in my free time, especially when helping my children tinker around in our workshop. I volunteer with a local charity that designs sustainable community gardens for at-risk youth.
Build Your CV
Mechanical Design Engineer CV Must-Haves
What Does a Mechanical Design Engineer Do?
Mechanical design engineers are responsible for designing products and mechanisms to be produced later. This may involve running computer simulations, building prototypes, and performing tests. This field requires knowledge of mechanical engineering, since the products the design engineer draws, analyzes, and tweaks must be practical in real-world scenarios. By following the example given in the mechanical design engineer CV example, someone in this field could find a job in a variety of industries, including construction, electronics, or automotive. Responsibilities could include working in groups, communicating with the companies that will purchase the products, and applying government safety and environmental standards. Your CV should highlight your ability to come up with creative solutions to problems, design innovative projects that conform to government regulations, and write intelligibly about your design. You may benefit from a background in computer science, since mechanical design increasingly involves digital software.
Tips for Creating a Great Mechanical Design Engineer CV
Take your CV to the next level by following these tips:
– Display your competence from the very first sentence of your professional summary, showing professional employers that you have skills tailored to the mechanical engineering industry.
– In your work experience, it is appropriate and encouraged to list special recognition and awards you achieved, in addition to the duties you were responsible for in past jobs.
– Your skills should be a mixture of practical skills and soft skills: show the hiring manager that not only are you a skilled design engineer, but you also possess universal skills, such as strong communication or teamwork.
– Don’t skew a reader’s perception of you by missing spelling or grammatical errors. Proofread your CV several times, and have a friend read it as well.
– Use strong action verbs, especially in the work experience portion of the CV, to show that you can manage, contribute, communicate, and report effectively.
– Market yourself by highlighting every admirable moment from your previous experiences you can think of and showing the hiring manager why you would be an asset to the company.