The curriculum vita you turn in to a recruiter can potentially get you a dream job by elevating your qualifications over your peers’. This is accomplished by taking enough time to articulate your content in a way that is organized, concise, and effective at highlighting the skills and traits that make you an undeniable choice. This complete software engineer CV example is an excellent guide to reference as you create your own. Filled with detailed examples for each section, tips for writing your own, and a brief job description, you can know exactly the type of information to include.
Build Your CV
789 E 901 N , Salt Lake City, UT 11111
E: email@example.com P: 555-234-2345
Experienced software engineer with a passion for developing innovative programs that expedite the efficiency and effectiveness of organizational success. Well-versed in technology and writing code to create systems that are reliable and user-friendly. Skilled leader who has the proven ability to motivate, educate, and manage a team of professionals to build software programs and effectively track changes. Confident communicator, strategic thinker, and innovative creator to develop software that is customized to meet a company’s organizational needs, highlight their core competencies, and further their success.
- Developed and designed three critical software programs for financial tracking and reporting.
- Optimized user effectiveness by creating a detailed feedback queue for users to discuss functionality, convenience, and effectiveness.
- Oversee a team of four software developers and lead weekly discussions to brainstorm ideas in software development and to track changes made in existing programs.
- Participated in creating scalable systems for three primary departments, including human resources, marketing, and supply chain.
- Ran monthly unit tests to determine software effectiveness and mend broken links or glitches in the system.
- Gave quarterly reports to executive management regarding current developments, and tracked changes in existing software.
- Maintained a system for documenting code and keeping track of software developments.
- Researched primary technological developments to determine whether implementation into organizational processes was efficient and feasible.
- Participated in strengthening the company’s backend services to optimize usage and prepare for emergency blackouts.
- Researched best practices to share with fellow software team members.
- Helped write code for a website update using HTML tools.
- Presented to management an end-of-term demonstration on valuable software developments that were in the works.
I enjoy volunteering weekly at the local Boys and Girls club where I teach youth how to write code. I am an animal lover and enjoy frequent horseback trips with my family. I also appreciate a good book or tennis match.
Build Your CV
Software Engineer CV Questions
There are a few different ways to structure your document, but regardless of the order you choose, you’ll need to organize it logically. Use headers to separate sections, and be sure to include all the key ones: summary, skills, experience, and education. Optional information, such as the hobbies and interests section you see on our software engineer CV sample, can go at the bottom.
The experience section tends to be the longest and most detailed part of a CV. Start with your current or most recent position. For each job, include the title, the name of the company, and the years you held the position. See our software engineer CV sample for an example of how to format this information.
You’ll want to feature key responsibilities and duties for each job you list. To do this, add 4-6 bullet points under every position. Start your bullet points with strong action verbs, and use metrics when possible. Stating that you built software solutions for 42 clients is more powerful than simply saying you built software.
There are ways to weave soft skills into multiple areas of your CV, since they’re likely a natural part of your professional summary, and also part of your work experience. You can see our software engineer CV sample has a summary that uses phrases such as Ã¢‚¬Å“ability to motivateÃ¢‚¬ and Ã¢‚¬Å“confident communicator.Ã¢‚¬
However, perhaps the best place to explicitly mention these is in your skills section. Our sample candidate lists Ã¢‚¬Å“confident problem-solving abilitiesÃ¢‚¬ and Ã¢‚¬Å“strong communication skillsÃ¢‚¬ in addition to more technical talents such as specific software proficiency.
References generally aren’t added to your CV unless a recruiter or hiring manager requests them. Even then, you’ll often see them sent as part of an email or in a separate document. However, if you do need to list them in your CV, you can do so at the bottom of your submission. Remember to check with your references for best contact information and to make sure they’ll give you a good review.
It’s best to have your document saved in a variety of formats. If a recruiter asks you to copy and paste your CV into the body of an email, for example, you’ll want to have a plain text version. A Word document does well when your CV goes through an Applicant Tracking System, which automatically scans for key terms. A PDF is useful because it will look the same on every computer or device.
In addition to helping you craft a personalized CV, our CV builder allows you to save your CV in a variety of formats.
Software Engineer CV Must-Haves
What Does a Software Engineer Do?
A software engineer plays an integral role in any organization. Your responsibility will be to utilize technology, innovation, creativity, and research to identify feasible developments for organizational programs. These programs include everything from backend services, to departmental interfaces, to current operational systems. Tasks such as running unit tests, participating in research and development, writing, editing, and reading code, educating staff and management about software use, creating scalable systems, and assessing user feedback are just some of the things you may do. Your curriculum vita is a primary opportunity to talk about which of these skills you excel at. This software engineer CV example is a shining illustration of what yours may look like.
Tips for Creating a Great Software Engineer CV
– Use your CV to discuss software tools you are familiar with using. These may include tools related to: unit testing, debugging, writing code, integration, compilation and linking, and scripting languages, among other things.
– Focus on your ability to solve problems, and discuss how you have overcome challenges. This is critical because software engineering is all about optimizing processes and fixing problems.
– Always double check your work for spelling and grammatical errors. You only get one chance at sending in a perfect CV, so a few extra minutes is well worth your time.
– Avoid sharing too much personal information, even though some sections are open to interpretation. Over-sharing appears narcistic and unprofessional.
– Hook readers with a strong intro statement in your Professional Summary. This is a great place to discuss your confidence and experience as a software developer.