When you are applying for a job, you cannot focus on your resume enough. This simple document is often what hiring managers base the entire decision of which candidates to call for an interview on. The best resumes have a strong and effective summary statement, skills section, experience section, and education section. The following biochemistry resume template for Word is designed to help you understand what expectations employers will most likely have for each of these sections.
Build Your Resume
E: SWonder@anymail.com P: 555-415-9851
Experienced and capable chemist with extensive experience in biochemistry and more than a decade working in a laboratory environment. Highly organized and familiar with completing management, analysis, and experimental responsibilities on a daily basis. Prioritize cooperation with other laboratory technicians and strong perception to make note of all information, including small details.
Extensive research abilities
Critical thinking, analysis, and evaluation
Equipment and machine operation
Management, leadership, and delegation
Written and oral communication
Record information accurate and efficiently, including predictions and projections.
Carry out tests and experiments effectively, creating and testing hypotheses.
Introduce heat, light, agitation, and other types of variables to induce changes and record the results.
Guide laboratory technicians, providing instruction and delegating tasks clearly.
Maintain laboratory equipment at all times, using them correctly to avoid unnecessary wear or damage.
Oversee the cleaning of work spaces after testing is complete to prevent cross contamination.
Ensure all laboratory operations are completed safely at all times and all company and legal policies are adhered to closely.
Improved lab efficiency by 15 percent over three years
Performed research in and outside the lab and drew up reports of findings.
Prepared solutions and compounds prior to lab operation so testing could begin promptly.
Collected samples, including blood and tissues, for testing, following required protocols to prevent contamination or damage.
Recorded and analyzed the results of tests, offering insight to the laboratory chemist.
Performed maintenance on lab equipment after use, including lubrication and cleaning.
Fetched tools, equipment, samples, documents, or personnel precisely as requested.
Maintained work areas, cleaned surfaces, and disinfected all tools.
Improved lab efficiency by nearly 10 percent.
15 Tips to Write Your Biochemistry Resume
1. Remember that your summary statement is meant to be a hook. This means it should incorporate information from throughout the rest of the resume to encourage employers to continue reading.
2. Your summary should be brief. Usually three sentences or bullet points are enough.
3. The biochemistry resume template for Word demonstrates the best summary format. Use first person, sentence fragments, and no pronouns.
4. Describe your skills and work history, but not your goals or objectives. This was once expected, but it is no longer necessary.
5. The skills section should be relatively short. It is best to keep it between four and eight bullet points.
6. To make your skills section effective, include key phrases from the job description. Figure out what aspects seem to be most important to the writer.
7. As this biochemistry resume template for Word demonstrates, each bullet point in this section should be a short phrase without a period.
Work Experience Section
8. Employers are most interested in your experience section, which means it should be the longest section and have the strongest information.
9. Using real metrics is a good way to strengthen your resume. These give readers a better idea of your capabilities and make your achievements more credible.
10. List your previous positions in reverse chronological order. This means your most recent will be first.
11. Most of this section will be in the past tense. Only positions that you currently hold should be described in the present tense.
12. Always begin every bullet point with a strong action verb. This biochemistry resume template for Word provides multiple examples for good verb choices.
13. Your education section should be relevant to the required qualifications. If a college degree is required, you should not mention your high school education.
14. Always include the name of your school, the field of study, and your graduation date.
15. It is wise to mention any relevant internships you have had or certificates you have earned in this section as well.
It takes a lot of time and effort to get a resume to the point where it will stand out to any hiring manager who reads it, but it is worth the work. Once you have finished the initial writing stage, you should take ample time to proofread your resume multiple times. By finding all the typographical errors and identifying all the areas that can be improved, you will make your resume strong enough to greatly improve your chances of being hired.