Your resume is how you introduce yourself to employers, and its important to make a good first impression if you want to land an interview. Check out the designer resume template for Word to learn how to best format your resume and what to include in the various sections. Read through the summary, skills, work experience, and education sections to get a better idea of what details to include and how to show off your skills in the best light.
Build Your Resume
Gatlinburg, TN 11111
E: JCharles@anymail T: 555-555-4938
Passionate and creative designer well versed in corporate design principles and practices. Highly skilled in all aspects of design, including branding and concept design, hand-drawing and graphic design, typography, layout, and color theory. Able to manage deadlines on multiple projects at once while maintaining a high level of quality.
* Experienced with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
* Excellent visual, verbal, and written communication skills
* Understanding of current trends in color, art, photography and other design elements
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
* Strong eye for detail and passion for polished designs
* Present design concepts to stakeholders and explain choices of style, voice, and all other aspects of branded designs.
* Lead a team of five designers to produce visual materials optimized for print and web use.
* Build brand assets such as logos and icons and ensure consistency across all branded designs.
* Create various print and web-based advertising materials in line with campaign messaging.
* Created branded print designs and deliverables, including posters, brochures, business cards, and other marketing materials.
* Created user interface assets optimized for web use, and ensured all materials functioned across multiple platforms.
* Integrated input from creative director into design edits to ensure a polished final product.
* Worked under direction of creative director to create company logos, icons, and headers in line with branding and design concepts.
* Optimized and color-corrected images originally created for print media for use on company websites and other web platforms.
* Presented design ideas to marketing manager and incorporated feedback into final designs.
15 Tips to Write Your Designer Resume
1. Your summary statement should be a brief overview of your most important skills. It should be no longer than three sentences or three bullet points.
2. Its fine to use sentence fragments in your summary. Note how the fragments used in the designer resume template for Word streamline and shorten the summary.
3. Tailor your summary for each job youre applying for, and highlight your most relevant skills and experience.
4. Dont go into your job objectives unless youre moving to a new industry and need to explain your changing goals.
5. Use key phrases from the job description in your skills section to demonstrate your qualifications for each particular job.
6. Include all technical skills relevant to the job, even if they are not listed in the requirements for the position.
7. Keep phrasing simple so recruiters can skim over your skills and glean the important aspects easily.
Work Experience Section
8. List work experience in reverse chronological order, with your most recent experience first.
9. Use active verbs to describe your experience, such as develop, lead, and create, as shown in the designer resume template for Word.
10. Dont think you have to include all your work experience. Stick to the last 10-15 years to show your most relevant experience.
11. Give specifics about what you accomplished and concrete information, numbers, or statistics to demonstrate your accomplishments.
12. Avoid repetition. Start your statements with different verbs to keep the resume interesting and reword experience if youve done similar work for multiple jobs.
13. If you have a college degree, it isnt necessary to include information about your high school education.
14. Do include any additional certificates or training relevant to the position. The designer resume template for Word, for example, includes a certificate in web design that could help in applying for future design positions.
15. If you transferred coursework from a junior college to a university, you only need to list the school where your degree was conferred.
Using this designer resume template for Word will help you show off your skills, talents, and experience in the best light, and youre sure to get noticed by hiring managers. Keep the 15 tips resume writing tips in mind as you craft your resume so you know youre using best writing practices to craft a professional document. With a strong, engaging, and personalized resume in hand, youre that much closer to landing the job of your dreams.