Build My Resume
E: Petersjoe@anymail P: 555-444-4444
Dependable mechanic with over ten years of experience in repair and maintenance. Strong organizational and troubleshooting skills with great attention to detail. Good communication skills and able to work in a variety of conditions and positions.
- •National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence Certification
•Valid Class C Drivers License
•Vast experience with electrical and AC systems
•Proficient in computer programs such as Fleet Management Systems and Excel
•Extremely detail-oriented and organized
•Able to work with limited supervision and in efficient manner
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills
•Proficient in welding
•Perform safety inspections of fleet and equipment; prepare safety-related documentation as required.
•Travel to job sites to remove and install parts on vehicles and assist in emergency breakdowns;
•Order essential parts and equipment as needed from both established and new vendors.
•Maintain a safe and clean work area in compliance with OSHA and corporate standards, and perform work in accordance with safety protocols and procedures.
•Interact with clients via phone, email, and in person to communicate status of vehicles and issues needing further follow up and repair.
•Performed inspection, diagnosis, and restoration of driveline, electrical, suspension, air, and brake systems, using electronic scan tools to diagnose issues.
•Assisted other automotive technicians with large projects as necessary, and helped with loading and unloading equipment as needed.
•Prepared reports related to all vehicle maintenance and recorded them manually and on the computer.
•Communicated with supervisors and management about vehicle and repair status; finished repairs in record time in the most cost-efficient way possible.
Build My Resume
15 Tips to Write Your Diesel Mechanic Resume
1. This is the first section that the hiring manager will read, so make sure it highlights your strengths.
2. Make it concise so it is easy to read. As the diesel mechanic resume template for Word demonstrates, keep it to three sentences or bullet points.
3. You should highlight a few highly relevant skills, your experience overview, and some personality traits.
4. You can use sentence fragments in this section, and leave off the pronouns.
5. List skills, including tech skills and industry-related certifications, that are relevant to the position.
6. Use keywords for your target industry, using exact phrases from the job description.
7. Use bullet points to focus the reader’s attention to your accomplishments, and use a maximum of eight points.
Work Experience Section
8. In most cases, only include the most recent 10 to 15 years of your work history and work back chronologically.
9. No matter how many accomplishments you may have for each position, Don’t list more than five or six bullet points, as is shown in the diesel mechanic resume template for Word. The employer typically doesn’t have time to read them all.
10. Use figures and facts to quantify your accomplishments when possible.
11. It is acceptable to include part-time or volunteer work in this section, especially if you are newer to the work force and it helps highlight your achievements and work ethic.
12. Begin points with strong action verbs and try not to use the phrase “responsible for.” Some better verbs include overhauled, redesigned, streamlined, advised, completed, and inspected.
13. The education section should be placed after work experience unless you are a recent graduate. List your most current degree or education first and work in reverse chronological order.
14. Only include your high school diploma or GED if you Don’t have a college degree, and only list college work that is relevant.
15. As is shown in the diesel mechanic resume template for Word, include courses or seminars you completed if they are applicable to the job at hand.
Job applicants who take the time to write a strong resume have a leg up on the competition because their accomplishments and skills stand out to the hiring manager. If you are unsure how your document should look, use the diesel mechanic resume template for Word as a writing guide. It may seem like a lot of work, but making the effort to highlight your qualifications will bring you even closer to landing an interview and being offered the job.