Dedicated to helping job seekers find work during the pandemic. Click here to read more

Reverting Publications to Maiden Name


This posting is a guest entry from the Career Doctor, Randall S. Hansen, PhD: Anonymous writes: I have a question that is plaguing me. I published several research works under my married name and now I am divorced. I need to list my publications on my new resume (or CV) and the names do not agree. Moreover, I am loathe to disclose my former marriage. Can I use my maiden name in my publications? It is, after all, me. Or must I use a one-liner disclosing my prior name? If so, where do I do this?
The Career Doctor responds: Please, whatever you do, do not change your name in your publications to your maiden name because if a potential employer were to look up the article and find a different name, the immediate assumption may be that you are lying on your resume or vitae, and that’s the end of your chance with that organization. I suggest one of two simple remedies. First, and perhaps the easiest, is to simply include your maiden name in parenthesis, so, for example, if you were Mary Smith when you published those research works and you now go by Mary Jones, simply add the Jones on your vita, such as Mary (Jones) Smith. Second, you could do the same thing on your resume as you would if an organization you worked for changed its name. Under your name at the top of your vitae, you could place, in smaller type, your former name … thus Mary Jones in large type, (formerly Mary Smith) in smaller type directly underneath. Employers have no reason to ask you about the name change, so I think you are worried for nothing. Just make one of the simple changes mentioned above and be done with it.