If you’ve never created a resume before, here are some suggestions for resources to get you started:
- Use our Quintessential Careers Resume Worksheets, especially our Resume Components Worksheet.
- Try the Inexpensive Resume Workbooks from the late Yana Parker
- A resume wizard or template in Microsoft Word can be a useful starting point because it will prompt you to fill in appropriate information. Once you’ve used a Word template to start your resume, it’s best to customize the layout and design. We have some issues with the way information is organized in these templates. Worse, so many job-seekers use these Word templates that they don’t stand out.
- Use our Fundamentals of a Good Chronological Resume as a basic template.
- Get inspiration from our collection of more than 100 Free Sample Professional Resumes.
- If you’re really stuck, consider hiring a professional resume writer.