How to Answer the 6 Open-Ended Questions that Trip People Up in Interviews
Learn how to nail these questions with our step-by-step guide.
Download our free guide to learn the best
way to answer these questions:
- Tell me about yourself. This may seem like just a conversation-starter, but it’s really a way for the interviewer to learn about your past experience, so they can decide if you’re a good fit.
- Why do you want to work here? This question calls on you to show that you’ve done your research about the company, and to make the case for why you’re the right candidate for the job.
- Why are you interested in this role? Companies want to hire people who will be productive from day one. This question is an opportunity to show that you’re enthusiastic and ready to hit the ground running.
- Why should we hire you? To answer this question, it’s important to read the job requirements carefully. Be prepared to explain how your skills match up with what the employer is looking for.
- What is your greatest strength? Interviewers asking this question want to understand what sets you apart, and how your skills align with company needs. Choose a strength that shows how you’ve made an impact.
- What is your greatest weakness? This question allows interviewers to find out if you’re self-aware, honest, and serious about improving. Be sure to pick a weakness that’s authentic and fixable.