It is very common for interviewers to ask the “what ways can you make a contribution to this company” question. The question can come in a variety of forms. It may throw you off if you are not properly prepared. You may hear “what can you bring to the company” or “what skills do you have that will make you an asset to this company.” No matter how the question is worded- you need to have a solid answer. This is true of any common interview questions.
To help you in this quest- you need to consider what the interviewer is really asking with the “How can you contribute to the team” question. He or she likely wants to know if you understand what it takes to be a professional and if you think you have important- company-changing qualities. The answer you give will show whether you will fit in at the company and meet the company’s needs. With the right preparation- you will be able to give an outstanding answer that will set you apart from your peers.
How to Answer the ‘What Ways Can You Make a Contribution to This Company’ Interview Question
As you get ready for the interview- you need to think about specific interview questions. What should you do to prepare to answer this particular question and others like it?
Bring in accomplishments
What have you accomplished at your current company? These accomplishments may point to what you will be able to do for the company you are interviewing with. Have you increased sales or efficiency? It is okay for you to acknowledge any help you may have had throughout your accomplishments- but you should avoid putting too much emphasis on this help. Instead- focus on what you have done and what you will be able to do if you get the position in question.
Keep your answer simple
As a professional- you likely have a plethora of accomplishments and skills you could talk about. You need to consider the most important and only focus on those points. The hiring manager probably has a limited amount of time to spend with you- so you need to find a way to give a succinct yet informative answer. Consider focusing only on a few skills and accomplishments that tie directly to the position you are currently pursuing. Make a point to only discuss relevant attributes to ensure everything ties in to what the hiring manager is looking for in an applicant. This could mean leaving out some of your best skills if they are irrelevant to the position in question.
Answering the “what ways can you make a contribution to this company” question can be a challenge if you do not prepare. Thinking about the skills and accomplishments you have that could help you in this new position may prove beneficial for other parts of the interview as well- such as answering other interview questions.
Sample ‘What Ways Can You Make a Contribution to This Company’ Interview Answers
1. As a veteran sales representative- I will be able to help lead the charge and motivate the team. Throughout my management experience- I have been able to acquire many useful motivational and leadership tools. Yet- I have not lost the ability to follow when necessary. In the past- I have evaluated business practices to help implement new programs that improved efficiency throughout the entire company. It seems companies always wish to be more efficient- and creating a special task force can help with that endeavor. I look forward to working with the rest of the team to make important sales and complete projects. My organizational and time-management skills will come in handy throughout the new phase of sales at this company.
2. The evaluation and subsequent improvement of a business is an important part of growth. In the past- I have been on teams designed to develop a variety of measurement tools that have been used to evaluate and improve business tactics. My strong leadership and communication skills make me a great leader for this type of improvement team. However- improvement cannot come about without the right analysis. I believe it is important to recognize that making a change solely for the sake of making a change will not help a business grow. Instead- you have to cut out inefficiencies- which can only be recognized through research and analytics. If I were to get this job- I would be able to help the company meet its growth goals through the proper use of teamwork and leadership.
Similar Interview Questions:
1. Why should we hire you for this position?
When an interviewer asks what you’ll bring to the role, it’s a professional opportunity to highlight your skills and accomplishments. Come to your interview with three-to-five examples of successful projects or positive results. You may not share all of them, but having definitive proof of your professional value will demonstrate your strong capabilities for the role.
2. Why do you want to work for this company?
Usually, a hiring manager is looking for a long-term fit. By asking why you want to work for the company, they’d like to know your long-term career goals and your commitment to the position. You can demonstrate your interest by researching the company. Find their recent financial report, read recent press releases, or learn about recent product updates in the department you’re joining.
3. What skills and qualities can you bring to this position?
Think about the skills you use in your current position and the skills you will likely need at this new company. Where do they intersect? Try to focus on unique and important skills rather than something expected of you and any other candidate. To help you really nail this question- you cannot just look at what you have done in the past. You need to consider the skills the company needs. Look at the job description to see what the hiring manager is looking for in a candidate and tailor your answer to fit those needs if possible.
Make a resume with
My Perfect Resume
Our Resume builder can help you write the perfect resume. Start Now!