How to Write a Cover Letter?
A cover letter serves as a sales pitch in which you explain why you’re the right person for a specific job. We’re here to help you write the perfect cover letter that supports and complements your resume, and shows your best qualities.
5 Key Elements of a Cover Letter
- Contact information Make sure your contact information is accurate and professional (no silly email addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org here). Also make sure that your letter is addressed to the most appropriate person and department.
- Salutation Get your letter off on the right foot — avoid a generic salutation (e.g., “To whom it may concern”). Take the time to research a specific person to address the letter to (such as a team manager). Use titles if needed (e.g., “Dr.”), and standard honorifics (“Ms.” instead of “Mrs.” for example).
- Opening Communicate what makes you unique, and why you believe you’re the right person for the job. Keep your tone enthusiastic, and present a specific example of your skills or work history as a “hook” to grab the employer’s attention.
- Body Elaborate on your best qualifications, and how you can contribute to the company’s success. Prove you’ve done your homework and note what intrigues you about the company’s business, needs and strong points. Provide details on your career and the unique skills that supply more depth and detail than what can be included in a resume.
- Closing Conclude your letter with a summation of your strengths, reiterate your interest in the job, and most importantly, provide a call to action, giving the employer incentive to get in touch with you.
Table of Contents
Step 2: Writing a Compelling Opener
Address the hiring manager
The first thing you need to do is address the person you’re writing the letter to. The most traditional way is by using “Mr.” or “Ms.,” but if the company or industry is more casual, you can drop the title and start your letter with “Dear.”
You want to be as specific as possible; otherwise, your cover letter may end up in the wrong hands or department and won’t get read.
Craft an impactful opening
Don’t introduce yourself in the opening statement — the hiring manager can see your name in your contact information. Instead, think of the opener as the beginning of your story, and make an impact using one of these methods:
Convey your passion for your work and why you’re excited about the job opportunity. For example: “As a customer service representative committed to quality and ensuring consumer satisfaction, I’m excited by the opportunity to make a positive impact in your regional manager role.”
If you’re applying for this job through someone you know at the company, mention it upfront — studies show that over 50% of all jobs are filled through networking contacts. For example: “I’ve been referred to this graphic designer opportunity through Tom Smith, a product manager on your team.”
A notable accomplishment:
Impress employers right off the bat by providing details about an achievement that relates to the job. For example: “As a marketing associate, I’ve had over five years of experience in social media, including work at the ABC Company where my marketing strategies resulted in a 300% increase in followers for our company Twitter account. I’m excited at the prospect of making a similar impact with your company’s social media accounts.”
Check Out Our Cover Letter Examples
Explore our library of cover letter examples, sorted by different scenarios, industries and job titles.
For jobs in this industry, emphasize your practical software and number-crunching skills, as well as your ability to work with others and multitask.
Top Accounting Cover Letter Examples:
A keen eye for detail, good organization and communication skills, and proficiency with specific software programs are all musts for this job.
Top Administrative Cover Letter Examples:
Focus on your ability to coordinate teams and processes, as well as your superior communications skills.
Top Business Operations Cover Letter Examples:
Stress your commitment to communicate with and assist people, and your ability to work as part of a team.
Top Customer Service Cover Letter Examples:
Highlight your proficiency with specific teaching subjects, education apps and software, and intangible strengths such as flexibility, communication and patience.
Top Education Cover Letter Examples:
Provide context about your training in numbers and financial principles, as well as some prime examples of how you’ve used these skills.
Top Finance Resume Examples:
Give examples of how you’ve worked successfully to better others’ health and fitness, and give details on specific training you’ve had in exercise and diet programs.
Top Fitness and Nutrition Cover Letter Examples:
Outline your medical credentials, including any degrees or training you’ve had in particular specialized fields, and stress your skill with patient interactions.
Top Healthcare and Support Cover Letter Examples:
Show how you’ve ensured customer satisfaction in previous positions, as well as any practical skills that can help you do the job, such as knowledge of payroll software.
Top Hospitality Cover Letter Examples:
Explain your top capabilities in computer system maintenance and management, and give examples of how you’ve successfully improved IT operations in previous jobs.
Top Information Technology Cover Letter Examples:
Put your creative side on display by giving examples of how you’ve successfully applied out-of-the-box approaches to marketing challenges.
Top Marketing Cover Letter Examples:
Emphasize your ability to interact with others in positive ways, and note any training and certifications you’ve had in specialized areas such as mental health or substance abuse work.
Top Social Services Cover Letter Examples:
Provide details on job-related abilities, such as maintaining merchandise and point-of-sale systems,as well as interpersonal skills such as customer service and multi-tasking abilities.
Top Retail Cover Letter Examples:
Give concrete examples of how you’ve helped improve a company’s bottom line through your sales efforts, and feature any abilities you have with sales tracking software.
Top Sales Cover Letter Examples: