As seen in:*Foot Note
When reviewing resumes for job applications, employers often prefer the resume to be formatted as a PDF — and for good reason. A PDF is universally readable and can be submitted “as is” for most job applications. Download one of our free resume templates in PDF or easily customize it using our Resume Builder and export it.
Download free resume templates in PDF
If you have Adobe installed on your computer or would prefer to convert a PDF template to Word and edit it, we have the free PDF resume templates for you. For other free templates, check out our professional resume templates, creative resume templates, modern resume templates and simple resume templates.
This editable resume template PDF features two columns with strong fonts and colors, where you can easily elaborate on skills and work experience.
This fillable blank resume template features clean lines and a streamlined look.
PDF resume pros and cons
- Almost everyone can open a PDF. Sending your resume in other file form(ATS) can be tricky if the recipient doesn’t have the right software to open it. Virtually everyone can open a PDF file, whether they’re using a web browser or a free PDF reader.
- One size fits all. When you submit your resume in a format such as Microsoft Word, it might look very different and sloppy if someone views the resume template in a version of Word that doesn’t use the same fonts or formatting, or views it in another word processing program that isn’t Word. On the other hand, a resume template in PDF format will look the same on all devices.
- PDF templates are ATS-friendly. As long as your PDF resume is formatted and saved correctly (more on this in a bit), it can be easily scanned by applicant tracking systems (ATS) that employers use to review resumes. You can also use our Resume Builder to create and export your resume as a PDF — it’s quick and easy.
- You’ll need the original Word version. Suppose you’re creating a PDF resume using Microsoft Word or another program. In that case, you’ll want to have the original document saved to easily edit your resume after being converted into a PDF format. Having a Word file and a PDF resume will make it easy for you to make any necessary changes to the editable document and create multiple PDF resumes. However, you can convert your document into an editable resume template PDF with programs like Adobe or iLovePDF.com.
- Some recruiters prefer other formats. Even though PDF resumes are universally accepted, some job applications may request that you submit your resume in another format, such as a Word document.
- Fancy layouts can throw off ATS. Don’t use charts, graphs, images, text boxes or overly fancy layouts in your PDF resume. Ostentatious PDF resume templates can throw off ATS scans and land your resume in the (virtual) trash before human eyes even see it. Save yourself time and hit the mark with one of our ATS-friendly resume templates you can convert to PDF.
3 Tips for Creating Your Resume PDF
Keep it simple.
This isn’t the time for unique symbols or fancy fonts. Use a standard font that a human (or ATS) can easily glance through, such as Garamond, Arial, Times New Roman or Calibri.
Copy, paste and review.
Want to confirm if your PDF resume is ATS-ready? Simply copy and paste the text from your PDF resume into Microsoft Word or a blank text document. If the information copies over cleanly and is readable, you’re good to go.
Editable resume template pdf
Converting your PDF resume to a different format like Microsoft Word for editing doesn’t always go smoothly, and restoring revisions to PDF can introduce new formatting issues. That’s why our Resume Builder lets you store all the resumes you create and allows you to conveniently update and download new versions in multiple file formats, among them PDF.
How to save your resume as a PDF file
If you’re creating or editing your resume using the following programs, follow these instructions for converting your document into a readable PDF. Remember, you can always make sure your final PDF resume is readable by copying and pasting some text from it into a new text or Word document to see how it looks.
Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
In Photoshop, go under File > Save As, and then choose “Photoshop PDF.” On the next screen, choose the PDF preset. “PDF/X-4” is a good option for a PDF resume.
For InDesign, the process is the same, except you will go under File > Export and then choose “Adobe PDF” for the format.
To convert a Word document resume into PDF format, go under File > Export. Choose the “Create a PDF/XPS document” option.
The PDF resume file should open automatically in Word for review once you’ve exported it.
Go under File > Download, and choose “PDF” as your download option.
Additional resources for your PDF resume template
Whether you’re downloading a free PDF resume template or using our Resume Builder, here are some expert resources you can use to build a compelling resume and cover letter:
- How to Write a Resume: Our expert guide covers everything from writing your contact information to capturing your skills and work experience.
- Top Skills for a Resume: Highlight the right hard and soft skills in your PDF resume template.
- How to Write Work Experience on a Resume: Learn how to highlight your career accomplishments the right way.
- 100+ Resume Summary Examples: Write the perfect resume summary with our examples and advice.
- 50+ Resume Objective Examples: Do you need a resume objective? Check out our examples and advice on how to write one.
- 280+ action verbs for Resume Writing: Part of writing a strong resume is choosing the right words. Here are over 280 action verbs.
- Best Resume Format for 2023: Should your PDF resume template follow the chronological, functional or combination resume format? Read to find out.
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Tell the employer more about yourself with a cover letter.
- Cover Letter Templates: Match your PDF resume template with the right cover letter template.
- Cover Letter Examples: With over 500 cover letter examples, you’ll find inspiration for just about any job and industry.
How do I make my resume a PDF?
If you want to make your resume a PDF, you need to export your resume’s current file format into .pdf. You can easily convert your file to whichever word processing software you have. All you need to do is open your document, click on the file editing button and choose to download as PDF, save as PDF or export as PDF depending on whether you’re using Microsoft Word, Google Docs or your computer’s operating system. If using our Resume Builder, once you finish your resume, you can choose to download your resume and click the PDF file format option.
Where can I get good resume templates for free?
We have an array of free resume templates at your disposal for any job or industry. Our free resume templates are professionally designed and have easy-to-follow tips so you can create the best resume content. The free Creative resume templates are particularly fit for copywriters, creative directors and video editors. Free Modern resume templates offer a sleek, streamlined look ideal for social media managers, administrative assistants and writers alike. Our free Professional resume templates are a top-of-the-line option for more traditional roles such as economists, business analysts or doctors.
How can I download a free resume template?
Downloading a free resume template is easy! Just click on the free downloadable resume template of your choice and it will automatically download to your computer. Our free resume templates can be edited in Word. If you download a free PDF resume template, you can edit it using Adobe or a program that allows you to convert the PDF to a Word document.
Does Adobe Acrobat have resume templates?
Yes, Adobe Acrobat offers resume templates you can use and even customize. You do have to pay a yearly fee to use this program, which also has a steep learning curve if you’re not trained in graphic design or have expert computer skills. You can find a varied selection of resume templates that are super easy to customize in our Resume Builder.
What makes our Resume Builder great?
Stand out with MyPerfectResume’s eye-catching resume templates! Building a noteworthy resume has never been easier or faster.
Don’t get stuck writing about your work experience. Create an impressive resume with our pre-written, industry-specific bullet points!
Need your resume in PDF, word, or an image file? You’re in control with multiple export and download options.
With resume score and resume check, we’ll rate the strength of your resume and guide you through actionable steps to make a resume that showcases your best professional self!
Copy and paste a job description from any listing and get a job-specific resume match score. We’ll guide you through tailoring your resume for the job!
With Smart Apply, we’ll help you find an opportunity, customize your resume, create a matching cover letter, and download your documents. We’ll even send you to the web page where you can apply!
What are Resume Keywords and How Can they Help You?
In this guide, we explain how to use keywords on your resume to catch the attention of applicant tracking systems (ATS).
How to Include Accomplishments on Your Resume
Work accomplishments help set your resume apart by clearly explaining what you’ve achieved in your career beyond daily tasks and job responsibilities.
How to Create a Targeted Resume
By creating a tailored resume focused on each job you apply for, you’ll stand out from the many applicants who submit a generic resume. We’ll show you how.
6 Resume Trends That You Should Follow in 2023
Read what our pros say are the six resume trends worth studying!
What Your Resume Design Should Look Like
See our eight tips for designing your resume to get it past an ATS.
How to Make a Resume with No Experience
Formatting tips, examples & an easy-to-follow guide for first time resume writers
Just three easy steps
- Select a template from our library of professional designs
- Build your resume with our industry-specific bullet points
- Download your resume and send!
You've taken a big leap forward in your job search by choosing a resume template from MyPerfectResume.