Cover Letter Example - Sections to Review
1. Your contact information
Write your phone number and a professional email address.
2. The hiring manager’s contact information
Write the hiring manager’s physical address, phone number and email address.
Address the letter to a specific person, such as the hiring manager.
Make a memorable opening statement beyond just saying that you want to work for the company. Convey your passion for what you do — start off with a notable accomplishment or if you were referred by someone, mention it up front.
Elaborate on your best skills and qualifications, and how you will be a great asset to the company. Here you can include keywords and phrases from the job description, quantifiable achievements, and expand on the information written in your resume.
This section is also great to prove that you researched the company and know what their goals are. Explain how you can help achieve them.
Conclude the letter by summarizing your strengths, reiterating your interest in the job, and inviting the employer to get in touch with you.
- First, you must understand where you stand professionally to narrow down what cover letter samples to look for. Are you changing careers? Are you joining the workforce after a hiatus? Are you applying for a new position with the same employer? Are you interested in a job that hasn’t yet been posted or isn’t advertised? Or perhaps you’re a first-time job-seeker with no work experience.
- Once determined, look for cover letter examples that mirror your situation to use as foundation to write yours. Note the tone, language and its content.
- Look for a cover letter example that fits your industry or job title. A cover letter sample for the food service industry won’t have the same content as a cover letter sample for the education industry.
- Find a cover letter example that has a similar skill set or experience level as your own. You can use it as inspiration to write yours.
- The cover letter example should have the following six key elements that comprise a professional cover letter: