As seen in:*Foot Note
Download free creative resume templates
Our creative resume samples are free to download. Getting your resume off the ground has never been easier.
This free creative resume template for Word is a good option to display your skills and best accomplishments with flexibility in colors and content presentation. The bolded fonts and understated headers make for easy navigation.
As the name implies, this free creative resume template works well for senior-level positions, where the header’s monogram design sets you apart.
Strong header fonts, a right column that spotlights the job applicant’s skills and clean lines give this unique resume template a powerful appearance.
Utilizing a header highlighting the job seeker’s name in a large font, this striking creative resume template free download communicates style and efficiency.
Thanks to the right-justified header and mix of black and color fonts, this free creative resume template provides a cutting-edge look.
Creative resume template do’s and don’ts
Writing a resume is easier than you think, but with a good grasp of the do’s and don’ts of resume writing, it’s even easier.
As you get to work on your creative resume, here are a few tips to keep in mind!
- Use creative resume templates if the industry or job requires creative thinking, such as marketing, graphic design, fashion design, and art. Most job seekers still rely on standard resume designs; a colorful, creative resume template helps you separate yourself from them. A creative designer resume should have plenty of flair, but make sure your resume is appropriately professional too.
- Choose the right resume format for your experience level. Applicants with a long work history should build a creative resume using a chronological format which emphasizes experience. Applicants with a shorter work history should opt for the functional resume format which highlights skills instead. The combination format is a good choice for applicants looking for something in between. For all formats, a unique resume template can add interest to your qualifications.
- Include links to your portfolio or professional social media profile in your resume. Most creative jobs will require you to submit examples of your work so the employer can see your style and potential. Our Resume Builder makes it easy to add additional information to your creative resume template.
- Customize your creative resume template for different job opportunities. By simply including keywords found in the job posting that apply to you, like a specific skill or an attribute, you’ll more appropriately target your resume for the job. Compared to standard layouts, creative resume templates give you more flexibility to feature your best qualities, whether it’s your work experience or your full array of resume skills. When it comes to skills, try to feature a healthy mix of hard and soft skills to showcase your versatility and competence.
- Feature noteworthy projects and activities instead of daily tasks when showcasing your previous work experiences in your creative resume template. We also highly recommend including quantifiable achievements and important details, as they better present your accomplishments. So instead of writing “Designed for clients,” go with: “Designed over five original concepts for X & P’s spring campaign.”Use numerical data and action verbs to give your accomplishments an extra bit of impact.
- Use creative resume templates in more conventional industries, like business operations, human resources, health care and accounting. Some jobs are more button-down and conservative and might prefer a more straightforward design resume for your resume. Creative design roles, on the other hand, benefit from the style and character of a unique resume template.
- Include a headshot on your creative resume template unless the job description requires it (such as for an acting gig). It takes the focus away from steers away from what matters — your skills and work experience — and some hiring managers may consider it unprofessional.
- Go crazy with colors or use fonts that might be difficult to decipher. It’s better to stick to fonts like Times New Roman, Arial or Helvetica for better readability of creative resume templates. They also make it easier to pass applicant tracking systems (ATS), which more employers now use to scan resumes and filter applicants.
- Include experiences, skills or information that aren’t relevant to the job you’re applying for. As we noted under “Do’s,” it’s best to tailor your creative resume template to the job at hand and only include information that will be valuable to the employer.
How do I write a creative resume that stands out?
Learning how to write a resume is easier than you think! A strong creative resume begins with a header that includes your contact information. Then there’s an opening statement which serves as an introduction. After that, include your work experience and your skills. Let’s take a step-by-step approach to this process:
Start by choosing a resume format that suits your experience level. For experienced applicants, go with a chronological resume. Less experienced applicants should try a functional resume format or a combination resume format for something in between.
Decide whether you want to use a resume objective or a professional summary. Both of these are opening statements which allow you to introduce your goals and qualifications to an employer. A creative resume example can provide inspiration and ideas.
Once you have the basic format decided, choose a unique resume template that fits your creative resume needs. Fill in your skills and experience, with lots of strong action words, and a healthy mix of hard and soft skills. Put your work experience in reverse-chronological order and use numerical data to give impact to your achievements. Add an education section to showcase your academic achievements and training. Don’t forget to put your contact information in the header and to write a cover letter that goes the extra mile!
What is a creative resume?
A creative resume is really any resume that takes the basic rules of resume writing and adds a bit of style. Creative resumes are a great choice for people in arts or design professions. Conveying information is a resume’s most important job, but a bit of extra flair can be a great way to help your resume get noticed.
Do I need a cover letter for my creative resume?
Now that you’ve written your creative resume, you need a persuasive cover letter to match! After all the work you’ve done on your resume, writing a cover letter might feel like a lot of extra work, but it’s more than worth it for the opportunity to communicate with recruiters. Your cover letter is your chance to tie together all of the qualifications on your creative resume and explain why they make you the perfect fit for the job. With the help of our cover letter templates and cover letter examples, writing the perfect creative resume cover letter is easy and painless!
How long should a creative resume be?
As a rule, a resume should usually be about a page long. As your career progresses, a length of up to two pages is acceptable, but it is still a good idea to be brief. A creative resume that is too long won’t hold a recruiter’s attention so be careful about only including relevant information.
What makes our Resume Builder great?
Stand out with MyPerfectResume’s eye-catching resume templates! Building a noteworthy resume has never been easier or faster.
Don’t get stuck writing about your work experience. Create an impressive resume with our pre-written, industry-specific bullet points!
Need your resume in PDF, word, or an image file? You’re in control with multiple export and download options.
With resume score and resume check, we’ll rate the strength of your resume and guide you through actionable steps to make a resume that showcases your best professional self!
Copy and paste a job description from any listing and get a job-specific resume match score. We’ll guide you through tailoring your resume for the job!
With Smart Apply, we’ll help you find an opportunity, customize your resume, create a matching cover letter, and download your documents. We’ll even send you to the web page where you can apply!
Update Your Resume in 5 Easy Steps
Need to update an existing resume? Check out our guide to get your resume in top shape again!
How to List References on a Resume (+Examples)
While most resumes don’t need a references section, it’s important to know how to write one if yours is an exception. Check out this article for tips and examples for listing your resume references.
How to Write the Perfect Resume Follow-Up Letter
Following up with recruiters after sending your resume can seem awkward or intimidating, but knowing how is a must. We’ll help you get started with some easy-to-follow do’s and don’ts!
How to Make a Resume With No Experience (+Examples + Tips)
No experience? No problem! Writing a resume with no work experience is a cinch once you know how to play up your strengths with the right tools. We’ll show you how!
6 Resume Trends That You Should Follow in 2023
Read what our pros say are the six resume trends worth studying!
What Your Resume Design Should Look Like
See our eight tips for designing your resume to get it past an ATS.
Just three easy steps
- Select a template from our library of professional designs
- Build your resume with our industry-specific bullet points
- Download your resume and send!
You've taken a big leap forward in your job search by choosing a resume template from MyPerfectResume.