What is a chronological resume?
A chronological resume is a resume format that emphasizes your work history, focusing on your top job accomplishments and responsibilities, along with related top skills. The chronological resume format places the work history section below the professional summary, so the recruiter or hiring manager will see your experience and career progression right away.
While the most popular, you might want to steer away from using the reverse-chronological resume format if you have no experience, are changing careers or have a significant gap between jobs. For these situations, there are other formats from which to choose.
What’s the difference between the chronological resume and the other resume formats?
- Features a comprehensive overview of your work history.
- Show off extensive career experience and expertise.
- Spotlights career progression, showing how you grew through the years.
- Includes a list of key skills.
- Great for candidates with little to no experience.
- Organizes your skills under different subcategories to show the employer what you can do despite not having work experience.
- Generally uses a resume objective instead of a professional summary.
- Includes related training and nonprofessional activities.
- More on the functional resume.
- Appropriate for workers who have a few years of experience, are changing careers or are returning to the workforce after time off.
- Features a combination of work experiences and skills.
- Emphasizes relevant skills and work history, rather than a full rundown of both
- More on the combination resume.
Write a chronological resume in minutes with our Resume Builder
1. Professional, Customizable Templates
Stand out with MyPerfectResume’s eye-catching resume templates! Building a noteworthy resume has never been easier or faster.
2. Expertly Crafted Phrases
Don’t get stuck writing about your work experience. Create an impressive resume with our pre-written, industry-specific bullet points!
3. Popular Format Downloads
Need your resume in PDF, word, or an image file? You’re in control with multiple export and download options.
4. Optimize Your Resume
With resume score and resume check, we’ll rate the strength of your resume and guide you through actionable steps to make a resume that showcases your best professional self!
5. Customize Your Resume to The Job
Copy and paste a job description from any listing and get a job-specific resume match score. We’ll guide you through tailoring your resume for the job!
6. Up Your Application Game
With Smart Apply, we’ll help you find an opportunity, customize your resume, create a matching cover letter, and download your documents. We’ll even send you to the web page where you can apply!