International Agency and NGO Job Resources
These are sources for job listings with the many international agencies and non-governmental organizations around the world. Many of them cover development opportunities. You might also be interested in our listings for Economics / International Development as well as Nonprofits / Think Tanks.
- Opportunities with the United Nations
- These listings include openings with various UN groups and missions worldwide. There’s also a separate area for the recruitment center of the UN’s Peace Operations. Visitors can read the full announcement for all openings but anyone truly interested in applying for any position listed will need to register and complete the full Personal History Profile (essentially an expanded resume/CV) in order to apply. All of this is free! Please read the FAQs before you begin. This site is also available en FranÃ§ais.
- Based in the Netherlands, this site covers International aid development jobs, with a focus on non-governmental organizations (NGO) and non-profits. Started in 2010, the listings cover a broad range of the world and hiring organizations. The listings we looked at link directly to the hiring organization’s website. The site offers free alerts triggered by keywords, a free weekly newsletter, and a paid for newsletter that sends listings daily.
- Operated by JobLadder, this is a large and well-organized board advertising jobs with charities, non-profits, and NGOs worldwide. You can easily browse the jobs by job category, location, sector served, or fundraising role (yes, these are in a separate category by themselves). You can also use the global map to select a general area that interests you. When you find a position that interests you, you are taken to the employer’s website to submit your resume. Registration is not necessary, but it is free and will allow you to store a resume, create and save job alerts, save the jobs to which you have applied, and more. Please note the following information for non-UK residents looking at jobs based in the UK: “Generally speaking, the employers who use our site are looking for candidates already based in the UK. People from countries outside the European Economic Area will need a Work Permit to work in the UK. Some do not, e.g. people with right of permanent residence in the UK, students and commonwealth nationals.” CharityJOB does have a list of jobs in which the employer has indicated they would be willing to consider candidates based overseas.
- Devex: The Development Executive Group
- A company that provides recruiting services and business intelligence to the international development field. They also have an extensive job board loaded with opportunities in this field from all over the world. You can peruse almost all of the listings for free, but to apply you must register your CV on this site. There is an Individual Professional Membership (monthly fee) which is recommended for persons who want to get their network going, but you can also opt for a non-member CV posting (free).
- International development and environment jobs and consultancies in UN agencies, NGOs, foundations, etc etc etc. There is a fee for membership, but you can review numerous sample listing before purchasing a membership. This link takes you to their central site, but they also have several sites targeted to specific geographic regions.
- The leading job-site in Brussels in the business of European Affairs and International Relations. This site offers listings for NGOs and Political Consultancies as well as International Organizations. The top of each page links you to jobs with the many advertisers, the lower portion links you to organizations you might want to visit to search for additional possibilities.
- Global Recruitment Specialists
- “An independent recruitment firm providing personalized, customized, comprehensive, human resource services for non-governmental organizations with international operations in developing countries.” Their current Positions List is a shining example of this expertise with listings from all over the world for people with expertise in numerous fields supporting services and research projects. This firm is based in the US but their employees are fluent in numerous languages.
- International Rescue Committee
- The leading non-sectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection, and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Employment opportunities are listed for all over the world in all job areas.
- Vacancies with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- A list of the current vacancies for international civilian staff positions available in the various NATO locations world-wide. Please note that the announcements are in PDF format, so some persons may have trouble viewing them. “For full details concerning a particular vacancy, please click on the links provided in the column Title. For information about the NATO Agency/Body concerned click on the column NATO Body. If the instructions on How to apply are not clearly indicated in the vacancy notice itself, then you should click on the column NATO Body and contact the Recruitment/Personnel Office concerned. Please note that the recruitment of personnel for each NATO Agency/Body is independent.” You may also want to review their list of NATO Bodies for additional opportunities not listed in this central site.
- Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- Based in The Netherlands, “Our mission is to implement the provisions of the Chemical Weapons Convention in order to achieve the OPCW’s vision of a world both free of chemical weapons and in which cooperation in chemistry for peaceful purposes for all is fostered.” OPCW is recruiting for all varieties of personnel, including chemical specialists and database managers, and offers internships to qualified college students. Information on these positions as well as the organization and the benefits they offer their employees can be found on their website.
- UNJobs.org is a Swiss organization that is NOT affiliated with the United Nations, but the name gives you a very good idea of the jobs you’ll find here. You can browse the site by new listings, organizations represented here, duty stations, or openings that are about the close. You can also pull up jobs by “theme” — health, mechanic, Moscow, or other ideas.