Landing the job of your dreams starts when you show a hiring manager that you have what it takes to be an asset to his or her company. Before that person ever meets you, he or she looks at your CV, so it’s important to have a professional, well-written one that includes all the salient information about your career and showcases your competence. To get started with yours, use this marine superintendent CV example and the included writing tips as a jumping-off point for your own personalized CV. Follow the format provided for a curriculum vitae that will wow a potential employer.
123 Fake Street, City, State, Zip Code
E: email@example.com P: 000-000-0000
Organized and motivated marine assistant supervisor with strong leadership skills. Highly experienced through years of logistical training in high-activity environments. Ability to manage small details while also keeping in mind the broader goal of every situation. Commended for exceeding safety standards during each year as an assistant. Specialized knowledge of ship engines, including maintenance and repair, and the ability to perform these duties under budgetary constraints.
- Specialized knowledge of ship engines, including experience with installing, inspecting, maintaining, and repairing them.
- Strong leadership skills; I am often described by personnel in the departments I oversee as “tough but fair,” and I pride myself on the four years without any major accidents that occurred while I was assistant marine superintendent.
- Excellent at making and adhering to tight budgets and has a keen awareness of the need for economical management.
- Experience in both the public and private sectors; this gives me a unique perspective when it comes to government regulations and responsible money management.
- Intuitive skill for logistics that has been honed by over a decade of practical organization and coordination experience.
- Supply engineering support for personnel in a variety of departments.
- Assist the superintendent with monthly and yearly reports and budgeting.
- Coordinate schedules for employees and participate in the hiring process.
- Supervise each department personally, including weekly in-person inspections.
- Recognized for strict adherence to safety standards.
- Commended for the four accident-free years that occurred under my leadership.
- Specialized in engine installation, inspection, maintenance, and repair for a major shipping line.
- Maintained superior performance through a series of budget cuts that limited the department’s resources.
- Advised superiors on budgetary decisions after being singled out for economical solutions.
- Commended for consistent high marks on performance reviews, specifically in the safety category.
- Managed three research vessels and the associated facilities commissioned by the state of California through the University of California, San Diego.
- Coordinated contracts and performance evaluations for subordinates.
- Oversaw routine maintenance and daily operations of the vessels.
- Assisted superiors in crafting functional, practical, and economical budgets.
- Exercised wide-reaching discretionary responsibilities.
I enjoy all types of ocean-oriented recreation, particularly surfing. I participate in a charity regatta every year that benefits marine wildlife preservation. I have participated in several non-mandated seminars about sustainable ocean shipping practices.
Questions for Your Marine Superintendent CV
A CV for a marine superintendent should profile your professional training, areas of experience, and leadership skills. Look over our marine superintendent CV sample to see all of the major sections of this professional document in context.
You may write your CV in a word processor or text editing program depending on whether you want to be able to design and format your document. You also have the option to create a professional CV with no writing needed by using this sample as template for our customized resume builder.
Our marine superintendent CV sample contains all of the information employers need to determine a candidate’s qualifications for this type of position. The candidate starts her CV with her full name and contact information. She goes on to draw attention to her qualifications for a superintendent role in her summary statement and skills section.
Competitive applicants should focus on telling the story of their career over the course of their CV. The candidate on our sample includes between four and six points under each entry in her work experience section. This is sufficient to give employers a sense of her responsibilities and achievements in each role without overwhelming readers or shifting focus from the job you want.
The requirements for a marine superintendent position are the most important factors when preparing the qualifications section of your CV. Try to use significant words and phrases from the job description in your document. If you have other relevant skills or accomplishments that can help you CV stand out from other competitive applicants, you may also want to bring these up in this section. You may also list soft skills in addition to hard technical abilities.
You should not provide references on your CV for a marine superintendent position. You may want to reach out to your references as you prepare to apply for positions. Make sure your recommenders are willing to positively assess your work and obtain their preferred contact information. You should be ready to provide accurate contact information for references who can speak to your character, experience, knowledge, or skills.
Check the description of the marine superintendent job you want for any mention of preferred file types. If this document does not specify a file format, you may contact the hiring manager or recruiter who posted the advertisement about file format requirements.
You may want to write and save your file as a word processor document or PDF in order to incorporate formatting into your CV. The candidate in our marine superintendent CV sample uses formatting to add visual organization to her professional document.
Marine Superintendent CV Must-Haves
What Does a Marine Superintendent Do?
Marine superintendents work at docks and ports and are usually in the employment of a specific shipping line. When the ships come to port, the superintendent is responsible for coordinating the logistics of those ships’ docking and cargo. Vessel maintenance and hiring for different positions at the port also fall into the superintendent’s responsibilities. Since a background in engineering is almost always required, follow the example of this marine superintendent CV example and highlight your experience in this field. Also, emphasize your leadership capabilities since a marine superintendent is responsible for managing a large staff of personnel. Because of the many employees working jobs that can be dangerous, a superintendent should also have extensive knowledge of safety regulations and enforce them fully. Experience with ships and the unique maintenance they require are vital for success in this position.
Tips for Creating a Great Marine Superintendent CV
As you personalize your CV, keep these tips in mind:
- Emphasize your specialization in marine experiences by mentioning prior jobs at docks or on ships.
- Do not use too much space in the “Hobbies and Interests” section of your CV. While hiring managers may appreciate the information, it usually isn’t what makes you a good fit for the job.
- Start each bullet point in your “Skills” section with a strong action verb to showcase your competence.
- Do not only list your job description in the “Work Experience” section; bring it to life by listing awards, commendations, or special recognition you received while working.
- Use terms that apply specifically to the marine superintendent job title such as leadership, logistics, safety standards, vessel maintenance, and marine engineering.
We can help you build your professional CV
- Professionally designed and formatted templates
- Expert suggestions for filling out every section of your CV, customized by job title
- Easily create different versions of your CV, customized for different jobs