Are you looking to begin a career in psychology? Landing that first job in your chosen field requires more than the right educational background or even previous work experience. You also need to have the right tools to attract the attention of those hiring for such positions. A strong curriculum vitae can be one of those. The psychology CV example and accompanying writing tips included here will show you how to fit your skills and experience into such a document in a way designed to draw in the interest of those who will later review it.
123 Fake Street, City, State, Zip Code
E: firstname.lastname@example.org P: 000-000-0000
Licensed clinical psychologist new to the area looking to join an established practice. Over 15 years of experience working for a large healthcare organization in the Midwest counseling patients and families working through cancer treatment programs. Managed treatment support program with the assistance of regional cancer center director. Worked with patients in one-on-one treatment counseling sessions as well as in conjunction with social workers in the local area to help steer them towards securing community resources. Also worked as a crisis care provider in hospital emergency department for two years.
- Strong leadership skills demonstrated while managing cancer patient counseling program, which included overseeing scheduling, payroll, and supply ordering, as well as representing department on clinical board.
- Excellent treatment coordinator, displaying empathy, compassion, and patience with patients, and guidance in helping them work towards stated goals.
- Good communicator with clinical and non-clinical personnel.
- Managed counseling program aimed at offering assistance to cancer patients and family members dealing with emotional stress associated with treatment.
- Supervised staff consisting of three social workers and one administrative assistant.
- Worked closely with clinical providers delivering treatment to share information regarding patient issues and coordinate visit times.
- Counseled patients visiting hospital emergency department for help with emotional distress or in dealing with substance abuse issues.
- Worked with patients to help develop treatment goals and recognize obstacles that were impeding their progression.
- Coordinated with court and law enforcement officials as well as clinicians in arranging psychiatric admissions for those cases where such action was warranted.
- Participated in internship program while completing doctorate coursework.
- Helped rehabilitation program participants in identifying issues contributing to substance abuse problems and establishing individual treatment plans to help them progress towards overcoming their addictions.
- Contributed to research study aimed at establishing a link between treatment effectiveness and patient social support networks.
I enjoy cycling and have participated in several century rides and gran fondos. I’m also an avid reader and basketball fan.
Psychologist Job Overview and Tips
What does Psychology Do?
Psychologists work with people dealing with emotional and behavioral issues or struggling with psychological problems and addictions to gain insight into their conditions and develop treatment plans to help cope with symptoms. They employ tools such as hypnosis, stress reduction exercises, behavior modification techniques, and psychotherapy. They might also involve a patient’s family in his or her treatment to help develop and foster strong support networks. A psychologist’s work is often done in conjunction with clinical care, thus requiring them to work closely with other healthcare providers. Knowing these job responsibilities allows you to see how your current skills and experience may be applied to the position you are seeking. That knowledge lets you use the psychology CV example provided here to showcase your attributes in the right context. Ultimately, your CV should present you as being capable of stepping into the role without requiring extensive job monitoring or training.
Tips for Creating a Great Psychology CV
The CV example should be viewed as a roadmap to assist you in the journey of creating an effective employment reference document. Remember, however, to not forget to put your own stamp on it. When personalizing your CV using our CV maker, consider the following tips:
- Try to avoid redundancies whenever possible. Look at what the specific subheading is asking for. An example would be stating only your previous roles in your professional summary, and then going into greater detail in terms of your responsibilities when listing your work experience.
- Do not include information regarding your high school education unless it directly applies to the position that you are seeking.
- Include metrics where you can. This allows the reader of your CV to understand the exact impact of your achievements. Avoid any details, however, that might be considered proprietary, such as detailed company financial information.
- Do not list any information that promotes a particular religious or political view. Such statements may serve to alienate hiring managers before you ever get the chance to meet them.
We can help you build your professional CV
- Professionally designed and formatted templates
- Expert suggestions for filling out every section of your CV, customized by job title
- Easily create different versions of your CV, customized for different jobs