Table of Contents
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
We Can help you Build your Architecture Resume
Use these tips and resume examples for popular architecture jobs as your guide to compose your resume.
- Professionally designed and formatted templates
- Expert suggestions for filling out every section of your resume, customized by job title
- Easily create different versions of your resume, customized for different jobs
How to Build your Resume for a Architecture Career
Check out our professional resume templates and tips to scale up your career in the social services sector.
Career Track: Architect
Architects are responsible for the design and development of buildings to meet client expectations while overseeing activities like consulting with customers, leading contractors, resolving complex design issues, suggesting innovative and practical solutions, managing permit documents, and making use of AutoCAD and cloud technologies to create project designs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job market for this industry in the U.S. is projected to grow 3% by 2024. Also, improved building information modeling (BIM) software and measuring technology are expected to increase architects’ productivity, resulting in more employment opportunities.
Junior architect$54,464 Median Salary
Resume Format: Functional Resume
For this position, use a functional format that focuses more on your skills and training, categorizing your skills in separate categories such as technical skills (e.g., “hand drafting,” “sketching” or “Autodesk AutoCAD”) and soft skills (e.g., “problem-solving,” “creativity” or “time management”).
Summary: Keep the summary section short and to the point, using keywords and phrases from the job description and blending them with your notable work accomplishments to get noticed by the recruiter. For example, if the job mentions skills such as “goal oriented” or “multitasking,” your summary could read: “Self-motivated junior architect highly effective in reading and designing blueprints. Has advanced knowledge of building codes.”
Skills to feature:Mention your proficiency in technical areas related to building engineering and construction processes, as well as any hands-on experience with MS Office tools, AutoCAD, BIM, Google Sketchup and Revit, quality analysis, developing blueprints, freehand sketching and manufacturing costs. Be sure to also list important intangible skills such as time management, multitasking, ability to meet deadlines and communication skills.
Get to the next level:To move up in the architect field, work on adding these qualifications to your resume:
- Relevant experiences you’ve had in site inspection, building construction plans, and coordinating with project workers.
- Specialized certifications in related fields such as landscape architecture that show you’ve honed your skills.
- Examples of successfully working with teams across business lines to understand client requirements.
- Continue to participate in roles involving a higher level of responsibility and leadership.
Architect $79,830 Median Salary
Resume Format: Combination Resume
A combination (or hybrid) format offers a good mix of skills, work history and accomplishments that you have gained in previous jobs. Focus on skills such as critical thinking, a creative approach, project management, knowledge of AutoCAD and excellent artistic skills, combining them with relevant work experience.
Summary:Stick to a short paragraph that mentions your industry-specific skills and experiences that best fit the architect job you want. For example, if the job description emphasizes designing and documenting commercial and industrial building projects, you could write: “Creative architect accomplished in designing industrial and commercial structures to meet LEED standards.”
Skills to feature:Draw recruiters’ attention to your technical expertise by including skills such as drawing, drafting, sketching, fulfilling client requirements, and good knowledge of local and state compliance. Add intangible abilities such as interpersonal skills, analytical skills and a problem-solving approach.
Get to the next level:in addition to any academic background in architecture as well as strong knowledge of construction management systems, look to feature the following in your resume:
- Advanced degree in architecture, design, or any other related field.
- Additional certificates or training in areas that prove your expertise and credibility, such as Certified Professional Building Designer (CPBD) certification.
- Demonstrate examples of when you used your leadership qualities for managing contractors for successful project completion.
- On-site experiences with overseeing construction.
Senior architect $126,848 Median Salary
Resume Format: Chronological Resume
For this high-level job, use the chronological format to demonstrate your career growth and progression to employers. Focus on notable accomplishments using this resume’s extensive work history section, letting the recruiter see how you’ve excelled over an extended period of time.
In a few concise sentences, outline the best work accomplishments and skills you’ve developed during your career that match a senior architect role. Promote skills that align with project management and combine them with notable achievements. For example: “Focused senior architect with 15+ years of extensive experience in developing 2D and 3D models for 10 award-winning commercial and residential projects.”
Skills to feature:
Focus on technical skills such as AutoCAD, Google Sketchup and Revit, familiarity with building codes, knowledge of computer modeling, and the ability to produce 2D and 3D designs. Don’t forget to mention intangible skills such as attention to detail, time management, decision-making skills, and collaborative abilities.
Go to the next level:
Focus on gaining more successful experience in project management, building your resume around these aspects:
- Advanced degree in architecture, relevant certifications, and state licensure.
- Work examples that demonstrate knowledge of environmental impacts and aesthetic standards.
- Examples of project management tasks, such as reviewing and organizing building plans.
- Achievements of projects where you’ve displayed supervisory and leadership qualities.
Career Track: Design Management
Jobs in this career track demand both technical expertise and a creative approach. Studies show a direct correlation between a company’s design excellence and its overall success, so present yourself as a candidate who can bring an approach that’s both innovative and valuable for an organization’s bottom line, using these tips:
Design Intern $56,700 Median Salary
Resume format: Functional Resume
As this job doesn’t depend heavily on experience, it’s best to use a functional format, which showcases all the skills and training you already have. Emphasize technical skills such as proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, along with key soft skills such as collaboration, a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
Summary statement tip: Highlight personal attributes and qualifications that show you’re ready to tackle new challenges with the right attitude. For example: “Enthusiastic design student skilled at template designs and creating mock-ups. Brings enthusiastic, collaborative approach to creative projects.”
Skills to feature:
- Administrative support
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Time management
- Active listening
- Organizational skills
- Proficiency in job-specific software
Get to the next level:Expand your knowledge in the following areas and add them to your resume:
- Advanced degree in architecture or a related field
- Acquire Architect Registration Examination (ARE) certification
- Get certifications in areas such as Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Add professional experiences in which you contributed to successful design projects, and begin building a portfolio section in your resume for your best work
Project Architect $85,247 Median Salary
Resume format: Combination Resume
Combination resumes allow you to feature a balanced mix of skills and work history — for this position, present your top architectural skills, such as proficiency in Revit or SketchUp, as well as work achievements that show off these skills.
Summary statement tip: Demonstrate your unique value by providing a quick rundown of your expertise and abilities. For example: “Hard-working Project Architect with 4 years’ experience creating frameworks and structures that exceed expectations. Well-versed in adhering to budgets and developing trusted relationships with clients.”
Skills to feature:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Design development
- Stress analysis and management
- Project management experience
- Architect Registration Examination (ARE) license and state certification
- Organizational skills
- Proficiency with programs such as, AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
Get to the next level:If you’re looking to move up to a more senior position look to feature the following in your resume:
- Expand your knowledge in current design and construction techniques and trends
- Demonstrate sustained success in project architecture and technical coordinator roles
- Master’s degree in building management, engineering, or architecture
Design Manager $102,847 Median Salary
Resume format: Chronological Resume
For positions like this one that require experience, go with a chronological format for your resume, focusing on major responsibilities from previous jobs, along with primary areas of expertise such as knowledge of sustainability and high-performance design strategies, and with projects for which you’ve received recognition.
Summary statement tip:Stress your managerial experience and competence as well as your technical know-how in a few sentences. For example: “Meticulous Design Manager with 10 years’ experience designing ADUs, Custom Homes, and major remodels and additions. Well-versed in managing budgets and work schedules.”
Skills to feature:
- Critical thinking
- Digital drafting and rendering skills
- Time management
- Team supervision and management
- Commercial awareness
- Relationship building
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency in programs such as Adobe Creative Suite or GSuite
Get to the next level:If you’re taking aim at a higher-level job, position yourself in your resume with the following additions:
- Advanced degree in project management or design
- Show consistent record of successful design projects that have earned recognition and/or come in under budget
- Complete the Architectural Experience Program (AXP)
- Get certifications in specialized areas, such as Grid Manager, interior design, or construction management
Recommended Architecture Resume Templates
To distinguish your resume from others, use our professionally-designed resume templates below:
This clean and simple layout features the applicant’s name in a duotone font to make you stand out from the crowd. Section headings are arranged in the left column, making it easy for recruiters to scan your summary statement and skills.
This template features an eye-catching design, with your credentials divided into four quadrants, presenting your skills and work history in an organized manner.
This layout emphasizes organization, with section headers featured in simple but effective box graphics, and the job candidate’s given a bold treatment in the header.
Architecture Resume FAQs
1.How should you format your resume based on your career level?
To match the requirements of the specific job position you are applying for, follow these simple guidelines for your resume format:
Functional resume: This format focuses on your skills rather than work history, and is thus best for first-time job seekers or fresh graduates. Highlight technical and soft skills that fit positions like architects, designers and drafters.
Combination resume: The combination resume works best for applicants who have a few years of work experience or are changing their career fields. This layout perfectly balances top skills and relevant work history to present you as a skilled applicant for mid-level positions such as junior architect.
Chronological resume: The chronological format favors candidates with an ample amount of experience for positions such as senior architect or project manager. Zero-in on work achievements and specific positive impacts you’ve made in previous jobs.
2.What are some skills that you should put on the resume to advance in the Architecture career track?
To excel in the architecture field, the candidate must possess an impressive blend of both technical (e.g., excellent design skills, proficiency in CAD, accuracy, knowledge of engineering and construction methods, and freehand sketching) and non-technical skills (like time management, good analytical skills, problem-solving, good verbal and written communication, and adaptability). Other skills you can include in an architecture resume are:
- Advanced math skills
- Analytical skills
- Creative thinking
- Drafting and drawing
- Computer processing
- Computer-aided design (CAD)
- Model making
- Verbal and written communication
- Interpersonal skills
- Client relations
- Project management
- Architectural codes
- Building construction
- Database management
- Visualization skills
- Time management
- Teamwork and integrity
- Decision-making skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Construction administration
3.What other certifications and training fit into the architecture resume?
The architecture domain usually requires at least an associate degree in a related field, but featuring additional training and certifications in your education section can add more credibility to your resume. Be sure to include state licensure from the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), which is required to work professionally as a successful architect. Some more training and certification examples are below:
- Architectural Experience Program (AXP)
- Certificate in Construction Management
- Certificate in Sustainable Architecture
- Certificate in Computational Design
- Certificate in Digital Architecture and Fabrication (DAF)
- Certificate in Product Design
- Certificate in AutoCAD