AutoCAD Drafter Resume Guide + Tips + Example
Get to the next level of your AutoCAD drafter career with a strong resume. We have created the perfect guide to help you build a resume for an AutoCAD drafter quickly, easily and effectively. Our Resume Builder will save you time and help you succeed.
Start by editing this AutoCad drafter resume template or explore our 40+ resume templates to find the best one for you.
More Resume examples for the next step in your architecture career
AutoCAD drafter resume (text version)
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Methodical AutoCAD drafter highly effective at creating accurate renderings in high-volume, demanding environments. Driven to cultivate productive relationships between disciplines to facilitate communication and project completion. Adept at producing high-quality plans, schematics, blueprints and component details.
- AutoCAD & Revit expertise
- Construction knowledge
- Markups familiarity
- Schematics understanding
- 2D and 3D renderings
- Project management
- AIA Conference on Architecture – (2022)
- Cultures Communities and design conference – (2022)
- An Introduction to Autodesk Construction Cloud – (2022)
- Automate Workflows and Eliminate Data Silos with Construction
- Integrations – (2022)
- CMAA Annual Conference – (2021)
Certifications and Licenses
Autodesk Certified Professional in AutoCAD for Design and Drafting – (2018)
Native or Bilingual
Hobbies and Interests
My free time is occupied largely with reading about design and architecture. I also enjoy historical buildings photography and helping as a volunteer in community projects.
- June 2019
Eastern Michigan University Ypsilanti, MI
Bachelor of Science Construction Management
- May 2014
Mid Michigan Community College Harrison, MI
Associate of Applied Science Computer-Aided Design and Drafting
February 2018 – Current
EXCO – Ann Arbor, MI
- Create designs and blueprints using AutoCAD according to customer specifications, timelines and supply inventories.
- Work with 11 drafting team members to complete simultaneous projects, successfully meeting all key milestones.
- Render schematics for over 60 designs to produce 2D and 3D models.
September 2016 – January 2018
Alro Corporation – Ann Arbor, MI
- Evaluated information provided by architects and system subcontractors and created accurate drawings according to measurements and specifications.
- Created and modified design layouts in line with client desires and space utilization practices.
- Adhered to established codes and regulations for project compliance purposes.
August 2014 – July 2016
Epitec Inc – Davison, MI
- Collaborated with engineering staff to determine safe, sturdy construction methods.
- Modified designs to correct operating deficiencies and reduce production problems.
- Calculated dimensions and allowances with accurate precision for project specifications.
- Specializes in computer-aided design (CAD) and drafting software to create technical drawings for architectural and manufacturing processes.
- Works with architects, engineers, surveyors and scientists to develop and design 2D or 3D models, structuring everything from scratch.
- Possess excellent problem-solving skills, technical drawing skills, computer proficiency and attention to detail.
5 essentials of an AutoCAD drafter resume
Make sure you’re reachable. In this section, include your full name, city, state and zip code. Also add your phone number and email address. If you have one, add a link to your LinkedIn profile. You can also include any other professional website or networking website profile in this section.
Your introduction to the recruiter or hiring manager will be the personal statement.
This section, also called a professional summary, is no longer than five sentences. In them, you’ll present your strongest skill, best professional accomplishment, and years of experience. You can use the job description as a guide on what accomplishment to include
The skills should showcase your abilities, knowledge and expertise. Use bullet points to include a mix of soft skills and hard skills. Examples of soft skills are communication, active listening, team work and so on, while hard skills are what you would use on the job, like site analysis, Revit, construction knowledge and so on.
Use transferable skills from internships, volunteer work and other opportunities, if you do not have any experience
In this section, you will add your career employment. In reverse-chronological order, add the name of the workplace, the location and dates of employment. Under each job, add three bullet points with measurable achievement from that job. For example, the amount of projects worked on, how long it took you to complete said projects, and so on.
If you have no experience as a manager, include other relevant work experience that showcases your knowledge.
In this section, add your education in a bulleted list. Include the school name, degree you obtained, and graduation date. If it has been more than a decade since you donned the cap and gown, you can skip the year. Under each school, include any accomplishments, like projects you worked on, scholarships received or memberships to important organizations.
See why My Perfect Resume is a 5-star resume builder
Action words for a stand-out AutoCAD drafter resume
Your resume will come to life with action words. These authoritative words bring power to your career and accomplishment. Stand out from the pool of applicants by using them.
These are a few examples of action words for a AutoCAD drafter resume:
These verbs will help you create a strong AutoCAD drafter resume. Make it even stronger with the expert suggestions and step-by-step guidance from our Resume Builder. You’ll be done in no time and will be able to download in multiple formats.
Top skills for an AutoCAD drafter resume
Include a balanced mixed of soft and hard skills. Don’t forget to include skills mentioned in the job description.
These are some skills you could include:
- Time management
- Fusion 360
- Excellent communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Product design
Certifications for a AutoCAD drafter resume
Add value to your AutoCAD drafter resume with certifications. Earning certifications will help you progress in your career and stand out to recruiters and hiring managers.
These are a few examples of certifications to add to your resume for AutoCAD drafter:
- Autodesk Certified Professional in AutoCAD for Design and Drafting
- Certified Professional Autodesk REVIT Architecture
- Mechanical Certified Drafter
- ADDA Drafter Certification
- ADDA Architectural Certfied Drafter (ACD)
AutoCAD drafter resume FAQ
1. How to become an AutoCAD drafter?
To become an AutoCAD drafter, you must complete a two-year associate’s degree or complete high school and find an apprenticeship. While you start to practice in school or your apprenticeship, you will choose a specialization, like civil designer, electrical designer or mechanical designer. From there, you can continue to work as an AutoCAD drafter. However, most employers prefer certifications, particularly from the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA).
2. What is the difference between a CV and the resume of an AutoCAD drafter?
A CV is a document with two to three pages that takes an in-depth look into your career, education, and achievements. A resume is a snapshot of your career, education, and skills. Each document serves a purpose. When applying for a job, you should send the required document. Remember, you can use a cover letter to expand on your career, skills, and to control the narrative of any issues, like long unemployment or multiple employers.
3. How can I create a strong resume for an AutoCAD drafter?
To create a good and strong resume for an AutoCAD drafter, you must include all the information discussed in this guide: contact information, skills, certifications, education, and so on. Make sure to edit any grammar mistakes and include all the required information.
It’s easy to build a great AutoCAD drafter resume in our Resume Builder! Simply choose a template, enter your information, and follow our step-by-step guidance to complete each section. You’ll receive expert suggestions and will be able to download in multiple formats. You’ll save time!
Do’s and don’ts for building an AutoCAD drafter resume
- Use measurable achievements to describe your AutoCAD drafting abilities and experience.
- Use action words to make an impact on your AutoCAD drafter resume.
- Tailor your resume to your target AutoCAD drafter job.
- Use keywords from the job description throughout your AutoCAD drafter resume.
- Format your nursing resume so that it is easy to read by ATS software and human eyes.
- Lie about your AutoCAD drafting experience and skills.
- Boast that you’re the “best AutoCAD drafter ever.”
- Include irrelevant personal information such as your ethnicity and age.
- Add skills and experience not pertaining to AutoCAD drafting
- Forget to proofread. An AutoCAD drafter resume with errors is unprofessional.
Top 4 tips for acing an AutoCAD drafter interview
Research the company
Make time to learn all you can about a company, its mission and values. This will help you be more prepared for the interview and get a feel for the company culture. .
Before the interview, you must make time to learn about the company, its mission, goals and values. This knowledge will help prepare you for the interview and to get a feel for the company culture. Plus, it will show the hiring manager your genuine interest, commitment and desirable skills for candidates.
Practice at home.
Every company has its own set of questions. However, many are ubiquitous and you can prepare for them. Research the most common interview questions. For example:
- What is the biggest mistake you’ve made?
- How do you determine priorities?
- What attracted you to this company?
You can also perform a mock interview. Ask a friend for help, and have them ask interview questions and provide feedback on your answers, tone and body language. You can also write down the answers and continue to practice in front of the mirror. You’ll be so prepared, there won’t time for nerves!
Prepare questions for your interview.
You’ll have a chance to ask questions at the end of the interview. Don’t be caught off guard. Prepare at least three questions to ask your recruiter. This will allow you to continue the flow of the interview and show your enthusiasm for the role.
Here are a few questions to ask. Use them or get inspired to write your own:
- What are the expectations for this role?
- What is the day-to-day like for this role?
- What attracted you to this company?
- Is this a new role? Why was it created?
- How has the role changed in the past five years?
- Which project has been your favorite? Why?
Get your references.
Stay one step ahead of the recruiter. Have your references ready once you start the interview process. Contact previous managers and colleagues to request being reference in your job search. Reach out to people who can vouch for your work and skills. Let them know where you are in the process, and when they can expect a phone call or email. If possible, ask them for a letter of recommendation.
If this is your first job, you can ask professors, volunteer coordinators, and even classmates to become your references. Always be transparent with them about where you are in the process.