What makes you qualified for this position’ is a favorite question for interviewers to ask job applicants. While it may seem like a direct challenge to your qualifications and reasons for wanting the job, it is really an opportunity for you to add something about yourself that may not be on your resume.
So, instead of being offended by the question, be thankful for the chance to add valuable information about yourself. After all, the real reason interviewers ask this question is to find out what sets you apart from the other qualified applicants. Other ways the question may be phrased include asking about your unique skills or what makes you the best-qualified person for the job.
What Skills Can You Bring to the Job?
Examples of skills that could bring to the job include:
- Hard skills or technical skills, like expertise with a software suite, or sales or budgeting experience
- Soft skills, like excellent oral and written communication skills, customer service skills, or organization skills
Taking time to create a thoughtful answer to this question can set you apart from other applicants and help you create a lasting, positive image of yourself in the interviewer’s mind. Just be sure that your answer to these types of interview questions is honest, positive and relevant to the job description.
How to Answer the 'What Makes You Qualified for This Position' Question
1. Seize the Opportunity to Sell Yourself
This question, above all other interview questions, may be the one that provides the greatest opportunity for you to set yourself above other applicants for the position. The trick is being able to find a unique angle in which to describe your qualifications. Rather than restating what is written on your resume, tell the interviewer something he or she doesn’t already know about you. Make sure that it is completely relevant to the job description. While staying within the bounds of honesty, feel free to show off a bit- but refrain from bragging or exaggerating.
2. Relate Hard Facts
Bringing up fluff about how dedicated you are to your career isn’t what interviewers want to hear in answer to this interview question. Rather, be prepared to share exactly what you accomplished at your previous job.
If you created jobs for two dozen people, say so. If you saved your former employer half a million dollars per year by cutting overhead, share that information. Or maybe your marketing skills boosted sales by 10 million dollars over the last two years you were employed. These are the facts that interviewers want to hear. because if you achieved great things for your last employer, you will probably do equally great things for the company that is interviewing you.
3. Avoid Typical Answers
Give a personal touch by avoiding answers that anybody can give. Stating that you work hard, enjoy your career and have experience simply won’t cut it. Mention personal experiences and achievements which make you seem extra qualified for the job. If you have continued your education and earned a higher degree, point that out. Or if you have experience building a company from the ground up and taking it all the way to becoming a publicly-traded company, be sure to mention it. Perhaps you’ve earned a prestigious award within your industry; this would certainly be worth talking about.
Speak with confidence, highlight the most important parts of your career, and make sure you are being completely honest in everything you say. Remember that your answer should be unique and should highlight your special qualifications, but should not seem completely over the top.
Sample ‘What Makes You Qualified for This Position’ Interview Answers
- As my resume states, I have over 10 years of experience working in management in this field. What isn’t stated there is that I was one of the founders of the company and my sales skills grew it from a start-up all the way to its first public offering. The skills I used to do this have been further honed, and I anticipate being able to do great things for your company as well. In addition to having sharp business acumen, I relate well to my colleagues and clients and pride myself on being an excellent communicator, which helps foster a stress-free environment for everyone.
- I have a Ph.D. in this field, which you can see from reading my resume. I also have five years of experience teaching university-level courses, and I have published two texts on the subject. I feel I am qualified for this position because of my dedication to the industry and my record of high achievement. I am a goal-setter and a list-maker, and when I have an idea, I move mountains in order to accomplish my goals, especially in the workplace. If hired, I anticipate helping your company set and achieve goals that will shatter all of your previous sales records. In addition to being a driven professional, I also enjoy cultivating strong bonds within the workplace, which helps everyone look forward to showing up for work each day.
Feel free to take these ideas and cultivate your own best answers to interview questions such as ‘what makes you qualified for this position?’ With a little bit of time and thought, you can make a positive impression that may lead to your dream job.
Other Interview Questions You May be Asked
1. What Skills and Qualities Can You Bring to This Position?
When answering this interview question, focus on the skills and qualities you possess that most closely align with the needs and requirements of the role. For example:
- Hard or soft skills, like software expertise, or excellent customer service skills
- Qualities like dedication, determination and perseverance
2. How Do You Meet the Qualifications for This Position?
When answering this interview question, be sure to:
- Closely align the qualifications that you hold to the ones outlined in the job description
- Speak clearly and confidently on how your skills, talents and abilities make you the most qualified candidate for the position
3. When Would You Be Available to Start Work?
Check your contract at your current job before your interview. Come to the interview with a date in mind.
Forgot to check your contract? Don’t lie to the interviewer. Simply tell them that your employer would tell you once you give notice.
Unemployed? Tell your interviewer that you can start as soon as possible.
What Makes Our Resume Builder Great?
Stand out with MyPerfectResume’s eye-catching resume templates! Building a noteworthy resume has never been easier or faster.
Don’t get stuck writing about your work experience. Create an impressive resume with our pre-written, industry-specific bullet points!
Need your resume in PDF, word, or an image file? You’re in control with multiple export and download options.
With resume score and resume check, we’ll rate the strength of your resume and guide you through actionable steps to make a resume that showcases your best professional self!
Copy and paste a job description from any listing and get a job-specific resume match score. We’ll guide you through tailoring your resume for the job!
With Smart Apply, we’ll help you find an opportunity, customize your resume, create a matching cover letter, and download your documents. We’ll even send you to the web page where you can apply!