Recruiters and hiring managers must wade through a pile of CVs and resumes to find the most qualified candidates. To ensure that you make the short list, you have to come in strong. This is why a well-written CV is so essential. One of the best ways to catch a future employer’s eye is to use a software developer CV example, such as the one found below, to gain an understanding of what to include and how to present your information. These tips are ideal for creating a job application or locking in an attention-grabbing CV.
Build My CV
1234 Netherfield Lane, London, OH 11111
E: email@example.com P: 555-987-6543
Accomplished software developer with 15 years of experience in development of applications. Excels in every stage of the life cycle of software development, including design creation, coding, debugging, testing, and maintenance. Expert in devising innovative and tailored solutions to assist businesses achieve their goals in a variety of industries. Advanced skills and knowledge of leading programming tools with a strong background in mathematics, algorithms, and data-processing logic.
- Develop, upgrade, and maintain advanced financial industry software.
- Coordinate the design and implementation of various applications, including collaboration with project managers, and client representative and development teams.
- Provide mentoring services to junior developers as needed.
- Select projects include the design and development of a flagship financial trading application, a XML content distribution server, and business systems for clients in a variety of industries.
- Experimented with multiple iterations during design implementation.
- Wrote extensible and maintainable code as part of a team.
- Excelled in rapidly prototyping new capabilities to confirm project feasibility.
- Designed web applications and maintained content for multiple .NET-based systems.
- Modified existing software to detect and correct errors, improve performance, and upgrade interfaces.
- Consulted with clients regularly regarding projects, proposals, and technical issues that arise during the development process.
- Prepared reports on specifications and activities for each project.
- Collaborated well with other team members to determine the best design specifications and details.
When I am not sitting in front of a computer monitor, I like to disconnect and unwind in the great outdoors. My favorite activities include camping, hiking, and kayaking at many of the national parks located nearest my home. I volunteer my time once a week to teach middle school students how to code, and often volunteer with Habitat for Humanity when I get the opportunity.
Build My CV
Software Developer CV Questions
The competition for jobs in the IT field is high. To get the edge over other jobseekers, you need a CV that captures the eyes of recruiters. Career coaches recommend customizing applications so they address the needs of each employer. The first step is to apply for jobs that match your qualifications. Next, incorporate job-specific phrases, terminology, and keywords into your curriculum vitae. You can get ideas of what to include by reading the job descriptions. Doing these two things can show hiring managers that you are the best person for the position. If you want to make the perfect CV to help you stand out from the crowd, try our resume builder.
The layout of a CV can vary depending on a candidate’s profession or career goals. Although it’s customizable for any type of job search, there are sections that are commonly used by applicants. If you follow the lead of our software developer CV sample, your document should include a header for your contact details and a professional summary. After that, sections for your skills, work history, and educational background appear. At the end of the page, there’s an area for your hobbies and interests. Many career experts view this section as an optional addition. If you add it, include activities that emphasize your relevant skill set.
Many employers seek applicants who are success-oriented. Showcasing your career accomplishments is an excellent way to make a positive impression. In your CV’s job section, list any awards, accolades, or promotions you received. Additionally, cite examples of how you solved a problem, met a company goal, or exceeded client expectations. Like our software developer CV sample, start each entry with a bullet point. Whenever possible, quantify your statements with percentages, numbers, and measurable outcomes.
Your technical expertise can be the key that unlocks the door to your new job. With that said, list the software applications, environments, and languages you’re most familiar with. Career coaches recommend listing programs mentioned in the job description. For instance, a company may need a candidate who has a working knowledge of Oracle PL/ SQL, C++, Ajax, or jQuery. If you’re proficient with any of these platforms, add them to your CV.
The education part of the curriculum vitae includes the school name and location, degree earned, and date awarded. If you have more than one degree, list the most recent first. Although listing your GPA isn’t necessary, you can include honors, such as summa cum laude. Follow our software developer CV sample as a guideline on how to format this section.
Software Developer Must-Haves
What Does a Software Developer Do?
A software developer is tasked with developing, creating, and modifying computer applications, software, or other specialized utility programs to meet client goals and expectations. They must be able to competently analyze user needs and develop software solutions to fill those areas that are lacking. Essentially, they are the creative minds that design and create the computer programs that allow the digital world to function. They may perform their duties individually or as part of a team while working on large-scale projects. Your software developer CV should highlight the skills and experience that fill these roles. You can view our software developer CV example for an idea on how to best present these skills.
Tips for Creating a Great Software Developer CV
As you create your software developer CV, keep the following tips in mind:
– Include a complete list of the languages, environments, and applications in which you are competent and fluent in your skills section. Hiring managers need to know the scope of your knowledge and experience, and this is a critical component.
– Your Work History section should only include relevant work experience for the past 10 years, listed with the most recent job title first.
– Include a list of noteworthy projects and their objectives under each job position so hiring managers get a chance to understand your level of experience and involvement in the software development life cycle.
– Refrain from including irrelevant and potentially controversial language or information in your CV.
– Always proof your CV for errors more than once. Reading it aloud and backwards can help you catch errors you otherwise might miss, and which might make a bad first impression.