Table of Contents
Featured Resume Example: Accountant
Highly analytical, results-driven accounting specialist skilled at working quickly and accurately under tight deadlines. Extensive knowledge of Excel and QuickBooks.
- Analyzed budgets, financial reports and projections for accurate reporting of financial standing.
- Reviewed accounting structures and procedures on regular basis to identify areas in need of improvement.
- Managed, tracked and monitored financial updates, watch lists and insurance files.
- Setup and improved accounting systems and processes to meet business needs and maximize effectiveness of operations.
- Investigated and resolved variances in digital and physical records to promote record integrity.
- Helped clients navigate interactions with tax authorities and legal concerns related to financial matters.
- Tracked and recorded expenses and reconciled accounts to maintain accurate, current and compliant financial records.
- Monitored premises, screened visitors, updated logs and issued passes to maintain security.
- Kept physical files and digitized records organized for easy
- Invoice coding familiarity
- Advanced bookkeeping skills
- Data trending knowledge
- Calculating liabilities
- Account reconciliation processes
- Hyperion Financial Management specialist
- Account reconciliation specialist
Top 4 Characteristics of a Best-in-Class Accountant Resume
- Summary Craft a brief overview of your top skills and experience that sums up what you bring to the table. Be descriptive in mentioning your accomplishments. For example, instead of writing “Accountant proficient in account reconciliation and financial reporting,” write “Highly-motivated accountant with seven years’ experience in reporting processes that reduced reporting process hours by 75%.”
- Skills Review the job description to pick up skills that match your own abilities, such as variance analysis, investment accounting or budget forecasting, and include them here. In addition to number-crunching, this role requires soft skills such as attention to detail, strategic thinking, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills, so make sure to also feature them.
- Work history Highlight your work experience with relevant facts and figures to prove your credibility. For example: “Reduced budget costs by 17% over two years or “Introduced new consolidation procedures that reduced closing time for monthly and quarterly reports by 25%.”
- EducationIn addition to your degree in tax, accounting or finance, mention any advanced degrees or certifications, such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA). Also include any coursework or certifications you have in Microsoft Office Applications, QuickBooks and other accounting software.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the Right Template for Your Resume
Don’t worry about finding the right layout for your resume — just use one of these professionally-designed templates.
The subtle colors for the header and the two-column layout lends this layout a crisp and compact look.
The monogram logo for the applicant’s name and the unique bullet graphics for each section make this an attractive, easily readable template.
The use of space and a unique header design makes this layout stand out, while leaving plenty of flexibility to customize content.
Accountant Resume FAQs
1. What are the skills you should emphasize for this specific job?
Here’s a list of technical skills that are usually required for accounting work:
|Here’s a list of technical skills that are usually required for accounting work:||Don’t forget to include some of these soft skills:|
|Account reconciliation||Detail-oriented approach|
|Thorough understanding of tax laws||Strong communication skills|
|Thorough understanding of tax laws||Organizational skills|
|Variance analysis||Strategic thinking|
|Math skills||Maintaining confidentiality|
|Knowledge of GAAP||Adherence to efficiency and accuracy|
|Proficiency in computer skills and accounting software||Time management|
|Here’s a list of technical skills that are usually required for accounting work:|
|Thorough understanding of tax laws|
|Knowledge of GAAP|
|Proficiency in computer skills and accounting software|
|Don’t forget to include some of these soft skills:|
|Strong communication skills|
|Adherence to efficiency and accuracy|
2. What are some examples of training and certifications that fit this specific resume?
For most accountant jobs, a bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting is the minimum requirement. The following certifications can also enhance your resume:
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Chartered Accountant (CCA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
- Certificate in Project Management (CIPM)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
- Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP)
- Certified in the Valuation of Financial Instruments (CVFI)
- Certified in Entity and Intangible Valuations (CEIV)
- Certified Key Accounts Manager (CKAM)
3. How should you format your resume?
If you have a few years of experience, choose a combination format, which gives equal emphasis to your skills and previous roles. High-level professionals can use a chronological format, which features a comprehensive work experience section. If you’re a first-time job seeker, utilize a functional format, which lets you highlight your skills, and even break them into subcategories (such as professional skills and soft skills).
4. How should you craft your resume if you’re looking to take the next step forward in your career?
Buff up your resume by gaining and featuring the following skills:
- Broaden your skills with financial analysis workshops, bookkeeping courses and other accounting courses which will help you stay ahead in the game
- Acquire a relevant degree in management
- Gain certifications in areas of expertise, such as becoming a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Look for more opportunities to display your management and organizational abilities in successful projects