Table of Contents
Featured Resume Example: Materials Manager
Name: RICH SULLIVAN
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Materials manager who excels at the coordination and preparation of documentation detailing production requirements and schedules to maintain supply levels. Cross-functional collaborator effective at understanding requirements and devising successful solutions. Resilient and adaptable in dynamic
Company Name, City, State
- Edited project reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, permits and designs
- Reviewed calculations and analytical data to maintain accuracy of technical reports
- Reviewed and assisted in performing technical bid analysis.
Company Name, City, State
- Accurately wrote operational documents after receiving technical author review and approval
- Produced product reports to analyze and summarize statistics and consumer feedback
- Coordinated and evaluated manufacturing processes for efficiency and profitability
Company Name, City, State
- Operated large commercial projects under budget with effective management of people and materials
- Recommended and selected new and replacement test equipment to improve research and testing capabilities
- Estimated quantities and cost of materials, equipment and labor to determine project feasibility
Materials Manager | 06/2019 –
Material Engineer | 08/2016 –
Hathaway & Associates.
Project Assistant | 03/2013 –
- Schematic development
- Cost estimation
- Stormwater management
- Municipal design
- Permit applications and laws
- Construction management
- Structural analysis
BBA: Business,City, State
Top 4 Characteristics of a Best-in-Class Materials Manager Resume
- Summary Provide a brief overview of your best skills and experiences, incorporating details that speak to materials management, such as your ability to research potential vendors or identifying supply needs. For example: “Efficient contract manager experienced in recording and assessing materials quality, and managing vendors.”
- Skills Browse the description for the job you’re interested in to pick out specific skills that match your own, and feature them here. Include practical skills such as records management and budget maintenance, as well as soft skills that speak to how you work with others, such as team collaboration, reliability or leadership skills.
- Work History For each previous job, provide three to five bullet points outlining responsibilities and accomplishments that tie in with the job your want. For example: “Ensured that all sample orders were accurately produced,” or “Oversaw customer orders and fulfillment.”
- Education Include your highest academic credential, whether it’s a high school or college degree, and showcase any extra courses or certifications you’ve acquired or are currently pursuing that can apply to materials management, such as training in business management, or expert knowledge of specific materials.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the Right Template for Your Resume
Present your resume with a layout that’s sure to impress employers, using these templates:
This template epitomizes the word “professional,” with sleek lines and fonts creating a smooth presentation that’s suitable for most jobs.
Judicious use of bolded fonts make this layout easy to scan for information, while leaving plenty of room to customize content.
The strong header design for this template makes a striking statement. Section headings are presented in all-caps for quick navigation.
Materials Manager Resume FAQs
1. What skills should you emphasize for a materials manager position?
- Knowledge of various materials
- Customer service
- Time management
- Excellent communication skills
- Procurement of materials
- Purchasing, logistics, material control
- Warehouse and shipping/receiving
- Understanding of material requirements
- Product planning
- Customer satisfaction
- Product design
2. How do you tailor your resume for different jobs?
Even two materials manager jobs can have different requirements, so create different versions of your resume for each job opportunity, using these tips:
- Study the job posting, and make a list of the job’s prime responsibilities and skills.
- Make a list of skills and job experiences you have that match these requirements.
- Incorporate these matching skills and work achievements in your resume. For example, if the job calls for monitoring inventory plans and forecasts, and recommending modifications where needed, add “inventory monitoring” as a skill, or feature a previous job experience where you managed inventory forecasts.
3. What are examples of companies who require materials managers?
- Fashion and design
- Food and beverage
- Beauty and cosmetics
- Gadget and technology
For tips on accessing job boards to find positions with employers like these, as well as gain tips on how to ace your job search, use our Career Center.
4. How should you format your resume?
As materials management usually requires a healthy amount of work experience, your best option for your resume is a chronological format, which features a robust work history section where you can outline your career progression. If you have a few years of experience and are still working your way up, use a combination format, which focuses on both your skills and related work accomplishments. A functional format emphasizes skills and training, making it a good choice if you have little or no work experience.
5. How should you turn your resume into an “elevator pitch”?
Think of your summary as your elevator pitch: your chance to make a good first impression on a potential employer. Come up with your top two to three skills, as well as your primary areas of expertise, and then provide a short, sweet overview that incorporates these elements. For example: “Detail-oriented Materials Manager experienced in analyzing, planning and purchasing freight and transit systems. Proficient in procurement, storage and distribution of materials.” Remember: this is your first and prime chance to explain to employers how you can help fill their open position.