Table of Contents
Featured Resume Example: WordPress Developer
Name: VERONICA MUNOZ
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Talented WordPress Developer with extensive knowledge and professional background in building WordPress CMS websites using de-facto standard plugins. Skilled with inbuilt WordPress functions, creating custom post types, and developing widgets to conform with WordPress coding standards.
- Chrome Inspector & Firebug
- User friendly designs
- SEO knowledge
- Problem solving
- Project management
06/2018 to Current
Company Name, City, State
- Deliver up to three quality commercial websites per month that
met coding standards and cross-browser compatibilities.
- Leverage strong understanding of WordPress core to
manipulate admin and theme components.
- Perform database and code optimization for WordPress using
04/2016 to 05/2018
Company Name, City, State
- Conceptualized, planned and executed 60 original designs for
wide range of website properties.
- Increased website security by keeping software up to date,
using and safeguarding strong passwords and monitoring
website for security vulnerabilities.
- Developed site content and graphics by coordinating
copywriting, and designing images, icons, banners and enhancements.
Junior Web Designer
09/2014 to 03/2016
Company Name, City, State
- Determined coding requirements for site creation, including e-commerce capability, security and specialized scripts.
- Added shopping cart, streaming video files and “Try Before You
Buy” service to promote products and applications.
- Enhanced functionality and appearance of website and repaired
Bachelor of Science: Web Design
05/2014, City, State
Top 4 Characteristics of a Best-in-Class WordPress Developer Resume
- Skills Review the job description and identify hard and soft skills that you could add to your resume. A hard skill is an ability acquired through practice, like HTML, XML or software development. Whereas soft skills are intangible skills that are not tied to one specific job, such as time management, strong attention to detail, and ability to work under pressure.
- Work History Focus on experiences that are relevant to the job you’re applying for and use quantifiable achievements to better present your accomplishments for each job. For example, instead of writing “Customized themes for clients,” consider the more impressive: “Developed and customized over 10 themes for eight clients in less than three months.”
- Education Feature your highest academic qualification (e.g., bachelor’s or master’s degree) on top. You can include additional coursework, training and/or certifications that are relevant to a WordPress developer position, such as the Yoast SEO for WordPress Training or WPMU DEV Academy.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the Right Template for Your Resume
This template incorporates a colored, wide header to subtly set the applicant’s name with a monogram apart from the rest of the resume information. The layout is precisely divided into two columns using thin horizontal lines and bold sectional headers for easy readability.
This resume layout aligns the applicant’s name and contact information at the top center followed by a dotted line to create a neat separation. Information simply flows down the resume with each section defined by a colored heading.
The resume template uses dual-color to present the applicant’s name and a thick, black line for highlighting contact information. Each resume section includes a colored horizontal line to make a precise division between heading and information.
WordPress Developer Resume FAQs
1. How should you format your resume?
A WordPress developer position is an entry-level position, so it is ideal to use a functional resume format, which highlights your skills, and elaborately explains your strengths and abilities specific to the job. If you have a few years of experience under your belt, you can also use a combination resume that features a mix of skills and work history and is ideal for professionals with diverse backgrounds. If you’re applying to a senior-level job or a position that requires extensive experience, go with a chronological resume that accentuates your work history and accomplishments.
2. What are some skills you should focus on for a WordPress developer resume?
|Hard skills:||Soft skills:|
|Website architecture designing||Collaborative|
|CSS and HTML||Flexible working hours|
|RESTful APIs||Interpersonal skills|
|Cross-platform testing||Strategic thinking|
|Software components integration||Receiving client feedback|
|Basic SEO||Market trends’ knowledge|
|Theme customization||Project management|
|Plug-ins set up||Security awareness|
|Front and back-end management||Implementing new ideas|
|Website architecture designing|
|CSS and HTML|
|Software components integration|
|Plug-ins set up|
|Front and back-end management|
|Flexible working hours|
|Receiving client feedback|
|Market trends’ knowledge|
|Implementing new ideas|
3. How should you incorporate the right keywords in your resume?
Application tracking systems are frequently used by large employers to do away with unqualified candidates during the initial hiring process. To pass through this initial screening, thoroughly review the requirements listed in the job description and note important keywords and phrases for WordPress developer position such as “API design implementation”, “SEO knowledge”, “back-end management”. Now mention these key phrases and terms evenly across their resume to avoid overstuffing. Use statements like “designed and integrated numerous APIs”, “used MySQL back-end service for record maintenance and data fetching” to align with the requirements mentioned.
4. What should you avoid when creating a resume?
Below are some of the aspects an applicant should get rid of while creating a resume:
- Avoid self-promotion phrases such as “magnificent,” “go-getter,” “think outside the box” as they don’t specifically explain why or how you might bring value to the role you’re applying for.
- Do not include irrelevant experiences, especially from the distant past; stick to include the current and relevant to the job.
- Refrain from mentioning hobbies or interests that do not point to desirable workplace skills.
5. How a resume should be crafted if you’re looking to move up the career ladder?
Below are some of the industry-relevant abilities to take note of if an applicant is aiming to achieve the next level in his career:
- Specify instances where your quick-client service and glitch-resolution resulted in project success.
- Take on new projects to achieve improved ratings and increase your market value on freelance platforms.
- Present your knowledge of client-specific web architecture and compatibility across multiple browsers.
- Pursue elective courses and training like WooCommerce Expert Certification, WordPress Backup and Restore, Advanced CSS and PHP, or WordPress 101.