Delivery Driver Resume
Working as a delivery driver can be a challenging career with the opportunity to interact with different people on a daily basis. With an increasing demand to get stuff from here to there, there are plenty of rewarding opportunities within this profession. Finding the right delivery driver position starts with having an effective delivery driver resume that shows why a candidate is a perfect match for a specific employer.
Job Description & Duties
A delivery driver picks up, transports and drops off various packages and handles shipments within a specific region. This may include business-to-business shipments or local deliveries such as flowers and catered goods. Commercial delivery drivers typically take merchandise from local distribution centers to other businesses or households. A delivery driver job will be physically demanding. Aside from driving a delivery vehicle from one place to the next within a specific area, a delivery truck driver must load and unload cargo. The job requires lifting, carrying and walking. A delivery driver resume should be specific to the job description of a candidate’s target employer.
Education & Training
A delivery driver should have a high school diploma or the equivalent. On-the-job training typically lasts for about a month. Any candidate applying for a delivery driver job must have a valid driver’s license for the state where they intend to work. Depending on the type of vehicle that will be driven, a special license may be required for some positions. A delivery driver resume should highlight all relevant experience and any training a candidate already received from previous positions. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly wage for a delivery driver is just over $13 per hour. The median annual salary is $27,500. The job outlook for delivery drivers is slightly below average with an expected growth of five percent projected through 2022. The slower growth is believed to related to better technology that allows a single driver to make more deliveries. Situations like this highlight the importance of a well-designed delivery driver resume to set a qualified candidate apart from similar job-seekers. Take a look at MyPerfectResumes Resume Builder to get started with your own resume. Please see the example below to see how a delivery driver resume should be structured.
Recipe for the Perfect Delivery Driver Resume
97/100 – MyPerfectResume Score
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Recipe Yield: 1 Perfect Delivery Driver Resume
Calories: 0 Calories
Fat: 0 grams fat
- 1 Contact Information Section
- 1 Delivery Driver Summary Section
- 8-10 Transportation Highlight Skills
- 2-4 Delivery Driver Work Experience Sections
- 1-3 Education Sections
- Include the Delivery Driver experience, skills and education the employer requires, but present that information in a concise and easy to read fashion.
- A Delivery Driver resume summary should be concise and to the point. Try to define your Transportation skills and accomplishments in an action oriented description with quantifiable results. And do it in three sentences or less.
- List your previous Transportation jobs with the most recent first. Each job is its own sub-heading, comprised of company name/location, period of employment, and job title.
- It’s how you list your Delivery Driver accomplishments beneath the job that counts. By creating 3-6 bullet points that begin with action verbs and, if possible, end with quantifiable results, you’ll catch the eye of a potential Transportation employer and allow them to see you in action and as a part of their organization.
- As you list your education, put the highest level attained first. The only information the potential employer needs at this point is the school attended, school location, and degree obtained.
1 Main Street
New Cityland, CA 91010
Cell: (555) 322-7337
Seasoned Delivery Driver adept at delivering shipments safely while meeting tight deadlines. Reliable and energetic professional. Possesses a comprehensive visual memory and an excellent sense of direction.
Punctual and reliable
Skilled forklift operator
Pallet jack and hand truck operation
Experienced manual transmission driver
Valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License
Perfect attendance record
Time management skills
Courteous and polite demeanor
May 2008 to Current
Flex Delivery Service New Cityland, CA
Complete pre and post-trip safety inspections, recording and reporting any defects and malfunctions.
Verify contents of inventory loads against shipping papers.
Communicate customer complaints, requests, and feedback to company management.
Practice safe and secure loading methods to avoid damaging goods.
Work overnight shifts during peak periods.
Update all necessary paperwork using neat and legible handwriting.
October 2005 to April 2008
Apple Distribution New Cityland, CA
Loaded truck and properly secured items to prevent damage during transportation.
Submitted receipts and money received from deliveries at the end of each shift.
Drove company truck for local and intra-state pick-ups and deliveries.
Recorded each delivery using the proper paperwork before leaving the warehouse.
Operated heavy material handing equipment such as fork trucks and cranes.
Reported any errors found on delivery documents to supervisor.
March 2003 to September 2005
Red Gate Office Supply Company New Cityland, CA
Picked up and delivered cargo in a tractor-trailer using knowledge of roads, highways, and interstates.
Completed a daily pre-trip inspection checklist before first delivery of the day.
Selected the most efficient routes in compliance with delivery instructions and fuel policy.
Checked vehicle’s fluid levels and tire pressure and scheduled any required repairs.
Established long-term customer relationships through prompt and courteous service.
Obtained signatures needed to complete and process all paperwork in a timely manner.
Answered customer questions regarding shipments.