Build Your CV
78121 North Crescent Drive , Roswell, NM 11111
E: email@example.com T: 555-878-8978
Reliable research technician with experience in a variety of research methods and techniques. Worked in a lab for years conducting independent study to observe various types of organic materials. Keen eye for details and exceptional written communication skills to relay findings to numerous publications. Additional mechanical knowledge to build efficient machines and develop software to assist studies greatly.
- Develop research protocols for five different experiments and communicate those protocols to the staff members I lead.
- Audit other technicians’ studies to determine where they could be improved upon, and once found a way to reduce a colleague’s funding requirement by 10 percent.
- Present findings to various conferences all over the country.
- Make trips to local universities to encourage students to pursue careers in the sciences.
- Catalog company’s use of resources and make recommendations on how to use those resources more efficiently.
- Analyzed data and kept careful notes that would be later typed into the digital database.
- Maintained work area to ensure it was always sanitary, and followed all state guidelines for how biological experiments were to be conducted.
- Calibrated equipment in the lab and out in the field when necessary.
- Offered technical support to colleagues, and on more than one occasion, helped machinery get back up and running without having to contact an outside contractor.
- Examined live specimens to make sure they stayed in good health.
- Cleaned supplies and restocked when the lab was running low.
- Developed a digital logging system to make it easier for technicians to catalog findings.
- Participated in research presentations and created visual aids to help technicians present their work.
- Measured compounds to ensure accuracy before they were sent out into the field.
Outside of the lab, I enjoy relaxing at home, enjoying a good detective novel. However, lately most of my time seems to be assisting my kids with homework and their extracurricular activities. Although they try to get me to do their science projects for them, I always encourage them to do as much as possible on their own, and I only lend a helping hand when it seems prudent.
Build Your CV
Research Technician CV Must-Haves
What Does a Research Technician Do?
Research technicians assist scientists in the lab, and occasionally, they will conduct their own independent studies. In addition to setting up equipment, technicians also need to monitor the findings, record them, and file them. Other tasks generally include overseeing operational programs, providing tech support to scientists, examining animals or other organic substances, calibrating field equipment, and offering summaries of findings to scientists. Additional responsibilities can vary depending on whether you want to work as a chemical technician, biological technician, or a technician in another field of study. No matter what, you need to show you can do all this and more in a similar fashion to the research technician CV example above.
Tips for Creating a Great Research Technician CV
You are not out of the woods yet. Make sure the following tips are also featured throughout your CV:
– It can be incredibly advantageous if you can cite any publications your work has been featured in. You can put any of those in their own separate area on the CV.
– You usually do not have to include work experience from over 10 years ago unless it is one of the only jobs you have.
– Use metrics when you can. Saying that you reduced a budget by 20 percent is a lot more impressive than only saying you reduced the budget.
– A combination of digital prowess and personal skills should be featured throughout your Skills list.
– Any awards or grants you earned should also be prominently featured in your CV.