Software Developer Resume: Examples and Tips
A software developer is responsible for developing, designing, testing and installing software systems. Software developers write codes and deploy software tools, codes and metrics, while displaying logical thinking and knowledge of software tools and other programming languages. They are required to work closely with UX designers, business analysts and operation managers.
To make your software developer resume stand out, use our resume examples and tips to present your qualifications.
Table of Contents
Featured Resume Example: Software Developer
Authoritative Lead Software Developer with many years heading up successful development teams through agile direction and careful delegation. Willing to direct large-scale teams or work hands-on to complete extremely difficult projects. Brings both cutting-edge programming expertise and exceptional interpersonal skills to leadership roles.
- Analyzed requirements and designed, developed and implemented software applications for multiple websites.
- Designed, implemented and monitored web pages and sites for continuous improvement.
- Consulted with engineering team members to determine system loads and develop improvement plans.
- Reviewed requirements and specifications to understand software design standards.
- Wrote and optimized test cases to maximize success of manual software testing with consistent, thorough approaches.
- Debugged code and located root causes of problems by reviewing configuration files and logs.
- Sorted and organized materials such as physical files, tracking spreadsheets and reports.
- Answered incoming telephone calls, took down messages and provided information.
- Completed clerical tasks such as filing, copying and distributing mail.
- Data collection and analysis
- Troubleshooting and debugging
- Network development and administration
- Product development
- Technical analysis
- Software development
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATION
- Can analyze a users’ needs and then design, test, and develop software to meet those needs
- Recommend software upgrades for customers’ existing programs and systems.
- Designs each piece of an application or system and plan how the pieces will work together.
- Creates a variety of models and diagrams that show programmers the software code needed for an application
Top 4 Characteristics of a Best in Class Software Developer Resume
- Summary Give a brief overview of your professional background and career, highlighting top skills, abilities and qualifications. Make a strong first impression by starting with a key adjective to describe yourself, such as “goal-oriented,” “analytical” or “self-motivated.” Your summary should be relevant to the job description and answer the question: Why are you the right person for the job?
- Skills Scan through the job description to single out skills that best suit the job at hand, match them with your own abilities, and include them here. Feature both technical and non-technical skills in your resume: Many candidates will list “network management,” “data analysis” and “software troubleshooting,” but you should also address the intangible qualities you bring to the job, such as “attention to detail” and “critical thinking.”
- Work history Don’t just list previous job roles; concentrate on your best accomplishments, and show how you’ve progressed in your career. Be specific and include phrases such as “designed and maintained websites for international clients” or “monitored operations of high-security networking systems.”
- Education Software developer roles usually require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology. Different jobs might also require coding and knowledge of different programming languages — include any certifications or additional training you’ve had that fit these requirements.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the Right Template for Your Resume
Instead of wasting time searching for the right layout, make use of these professionally-designed templates, which you can customize to fit the job you’re applying for.
This template draws attention to your skills by featuring them in the left column. The use of shaded colors makes the important sections pop.
This professional layout projects an image of efficiency, with a pop of color in the header to keep your name uppermost in a hiring manager’s mind.
This template has separate, dedicated sections for work history, skills and qualifications that present your credentials in clutter-free fashion.
Software Developer Resume FAQs
1. What are the key skills you should mention for a software developer job role?
Consider emphasizing these skills:
|Technical skills:||Soft skills:|
|Health promotion and maintenance||Persuasive|
|Expert coordination and management skills||Excellent written and verbal communication|
|Adept with document filing system||Excels in building relationships|
|Knowledge of basic Computer Applications||Good listener|
|Expert in scheduling appointments||Team player|
|Proficient in answering multi-line phone calls|
|Health promotion and maintenance|
|Expert coordination and management skills|
|Adept with document filing system|
|Knowledge of basic Computer Applications|
|Expert in scheduling appointments|
|Proficient in answering multi-line phone calls|
|Excellent written and verbal communication|
|Excels in building relationships|
2. What are some examples of training and certifications that fit a software developer’s resume?
- The IEEE Computer Society offers the Professional Software Developer (PSD) Certification that tests the candidate’s knowledge of software engineering requirements, design, construction and testing.
- The C++ Institute offers programs advancing in difficulty, from associate to professional and senior.
- Developers can also attend coding boot camps which typically last between 8 to 12 weeks. The curriculum focuses on the core principles of software engineering, programming languages, and modern approaches to software development.
3. How do you incorporate keywords in the resume?
Both human recruiters and application tracking systems (ATS) will review your resume for certain keywords related to skills, qualifications and/or certifications and degrees. When composing your resume, find these keywords from the job description, in the form of important qualifications and abilities such as “proficiency in testing codes,” “technical support system,” “and technical analysis,” “multitasking,” “flexible” and “ability to code for long hours.” You can also use industry-specific keywords that are suitable for a particular job role. Keywords need to be seamlessly integrated to avoid any redundancy.
4. How should you craft your resume if you’re looking to take the next step forward in your career?
- Look for opportunities to expand your skills in specific areas, such as Java, XML or SQL.
- Pursue a specialization, such as Web development, mobile development or DevOps.
- Join a developer group, attend conferences or find other ways to stay updated about the latest technology developments. Conferences and groups are also great places for networking and learning new business practices.
5. How should you format a software developer’s resume?
A software developer position places great emphasis on experience, so look into using the chronological format, which focuses on your previous work history and successes. Keep your work history to within the past 10 years. If you have less experience, use a functional format, which lays more emphasis on your professional skills.