Software Engineering Manager Resume Guide + Tips + Example
- 30% higher chance of getting a job
- 42% higher response rate from recruiters
Our customers have been hired at:*Foot Note
A great job as a software engineering manager demands a perfect software engineering manager resume and we are here to help you create one. Our guide to crafting a perfect resume for a software engineering manager job will help you make the most of your in-depth product development knowledge and leadership skills, so you stand out from the competition.
Start by editing this sample resume for a software engineering manager or explore our library of customizable resume templates to find the best software engineering manager resume template for you.
Software engineering manager resume example (text version)
PHOENIX, AZ 85005
555 555 555
Software engineer manager with extensive experience leading teams in network administration, development and design. Offer strong technical acumen with diverse abilities in virtual and database environments. A proven leader of cross-functional teams to ensure quality and efficiency through automation and best practices.
November 2020 – Current
TANGO – Phoenix, AZ
Software Engineering Manager
- Work closely with management teams to plan, develop and execute technical strategies aligned with the client’s vision.
- Manage web-based software applications generating $17 million in annual revenue.
- Evaluate ongoing development efforts and lead a team of 13 engineers and over 20 vendors responsible for the C++ compiler front-end and ensure compliance of features and platform.
September 2017 – October 2020
ACALENT – Phoenix, AZ
Senior Software Engineer
- Participated in architecture, design and implementation of back-end features using C++, C#, Lua and Python.
- Promoted technical leadership to 10 entry-level and junior engineers in a complex enterprise system environment.
- Led six software development initiatives, with a revenue of $3.5 million, as subject matter expert and primary point-of-contact for project management staff.
June 2012 – August 2017
EPIC – Phoenix, AZ
- Developed robust, scalable, modular and API-centric infrastructures.
- Revised and updated old code bases to modern development standards, reducing operating costs by 40%.
- Partnered with the development team on product development and application support plans.
- Project proposals
- Quality control
- Software documentation control
- Programming languages: C, C++, C#, Java
- Conflict resolution
- Team collaboration
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Arizona State University Tempe, AZ
MASTER OF SCIENCE Computer Engineering
- Arizona State University Tempe, AZ
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE Computer Science
- Specialization – Software Engineering
Software Development Manager – (2017)
5 essentials of a top software engineering manager resume
Add your contact information to the top of your resume so hiring managers can contact you. As our software engineering manager resume example shows, your contact information must include your full name, city, state and ZIP code, phone number and professional email address. If you have a LinkedIn profile and professional website, add them last.
A professional summary, also known as a personal statement, is a concise, three-to-five-sentence statement that tells the hiring manager who you are and what you offer.
A software engineering manager resume summary must include job-relevant skills and one or two notable accomplishments, and it should touch on how long you’ve been in the industry.
Create a skills section on your resume so hiring managers can see if your skill set matches their needs. In a separate section, add your job-relevant skills in a bulleted list. As our software engineering manager resume sample shows, it’s best to include hard and soft skills, such as requirements analysis and interpersonal skills.
Whether this is your first job or you’ve been at it for decades, your software engineering manager resume must include a section to display your job history. In reverse-chronological order, show your current and previous employers and provide company names, locations and the dates you worked for them. Include three bullet points of measurable achievements for every job you list.
A resume for a software engineering manager job must include an education section. In reverse-chronological order, show the name of the schools and the years that you graduated using bullet points. If you did not attend college, then list your high school information and the classes you’ve taken since graduating.
See why My Perfect Resume is a 5-star resume builder
Do’s and don’ts for building a software engineering manager resume
- Use measurable achievements to describe your software engineer manager abilities and experience.
- Use action words to make an impact on your software engineering manager resume.
- Tailor your resume to your target software engineer manager job.
- Use keywords from the job description throughout your software engineering manager resume.
- Format your software engineering manager resume so that it is easy to read by ATS software and human eyes.
- Lie about your software engineer manager experience and skills.
- Boast that you’re the “best software engineering manager ever.”
- Include irrelevant personal information such as your ethnicity and age.
- Add skills and experience that do not pertain to a software engineer manager.
- Forget to proofread. A software engineering manager resume with errors is unprofessional.
Top 4 tips for acing a software engineering manager interview
Research the company.
It’s vital to take the time to learn about the institution or company’s history, goals, values and people before the interview. Doing so conveys interest, passion and commitment — traits that can set you above the competition.
Practice your answers to potential questions.
Practice really does make perfect. To practice for your interview, start by reviewing the most common interview questions, such as:
- What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?
- What’s your proudest accomplishment?
- Why did you choose this career?
And some possible behavioral questions such as:
- Describe a situation in which you had to compromise or guide others to a compromise.
- Describe a time when you anticipated potential problems and developed preventive measures.
- Give me an example of a time when you created a goal and then achieved it.
Write down two or three possible answers for each question, then practice answering them with a friend.
Ask questions during your interview.
After the hiring manager and potential colleagues question you, they will likely offer for you to ask them some questions. Always have at least three ready for each person you speak with. Doing so shows that you’re interested and that you’ve been paying close attention.
Some questions you might ask for a software engineering manager job are:
- What kind of projects will the person in this role manage?
- Can you tell me about the challenges the last person in this role had to overcome during a recent big project?
- What are the company’s goals for the next year?
Gather references ahead of time.
Having professional references ready during your interview is handy, especially if the hiring manager offers you the job on the spot (yes! It happens). Prepare a list of two former colleagues and a former manager willing to speak to your abilities to perform the job of a software engineering manager and who you know will give you an excellent review.