Build Your CV
440 Westwood Circle, Diamond Park, TX 11111
E: firstname.lastname@example.org P: 555-623-5434
Motivated marine engineer with nearly 10 years of experience ensuring that ships comply with international standards and regulations. Skilled in supervising and training crew members and fellow engineers for emergency responses and routine shipboard duties. Driven professional with excellent communication skills and ability to properly enforce marine regulations. Superior team player with natural leadership abilities.
- Perform regulatory inspections on a weekly basis or more frequently, as needed. Note any deficiencies and report them to the ship’s captain along with specific instructions for correcting any problems.
- Maintain shipboard machinery, including electrical generators, steam propulsion plant, cargo gear, and all associated auxiliary machinery.
- Order machinery parts and manage inventory.
- Document voyages and keep detailed inspection reports.
- Controlled the speed and course of ships based on known hazards, weather conditions, water depths, and other factors.
- Prevented ships under my control from operating unsafely or from colliding with shoals, reefs, and other hazards.
- Used navigational aids such as buoys, lighthouses, and navigational equipment to remain on course and avoid obstacles.
- Managed and directed the daily operations of crew members.
- Steered ships safely into port and served as docking master.
- Delivered freight safely from one destination to another.
- Stood watch on vessels for predetermined periods of time.
- Determined the speed, position, and course of a ship using computers, lorans, and other tools.
- Inspected equipment, including visual-signaling equipment, cargo-handling gear, fishing and towing gear, and lifesaving equipment on a daily and weekly basis to detect any problems.
- Promoted to ship captain as a result of outstanding work ethic and superior understanding of vessels and equipment.
I am fascinated by puzzles of all types and frequently spend my free time solving Rubik’s cubes or answering difficult trivia questions. I also enjoy participating in challenging water sports, such as kite boarding and flyboarding. I enjoy making the world a better place and volunteer with my family twice each year to clean up the roadsides in my community.
Build Your CV
Marine Engineer CV Must-Haves
What Does a Marine Engineer Do?
Before you can successfully write a winning marine engineer CV, you need to be very familiar with the various responsibilities marine engineers handle. As a marine engineer, you are responsible for supervising and training other crew members to ensure that they can respond properly in emergency situations. You are also expected to perform regular inspections of alarm systems, automatic controls, and life-saving equipment on board. Your main duties are to make sure all systems and controls comply with international regulations and that the ship’s equipment operates properly and safely at all times. As a marine engineer, you need to be capable of making decisions quickly and under high-stress situations. You are also expected to prepare contracts and detailed work plans on a regular basis. Use our marine engineer CV example to see how to incorporate these details into your CV.
Tips for Creating a Great Marine Engineer CV
When making sure your marine engineer CV is up to standards, try using the following tips:
– Remember to include soft skills as well as hard skills in your Skills section.
– If you have gaps in your work history, don’t try to leave them out by fudging the dates in your Work Experience section. Instead, be honest and prepare to discuss the reason for employment gaps during your in-person interview.
– Use your Professional Summary to sell yourself. Use strong words such as “skilled” and “excellent” to show employers why they should hire you over someone less experienced.
– Always have someone you trust read your CV out loud to check for any errors and to ensure that it reads well.
– Make sure your CV is formatted to commonly-accepted standards and refrain from being overly creative in your choice of font. Instead, focus on attracting attention by effectively selling your experience and skills.