Table of Contents
Featured Resume Example: Soccer Coach
Name: ANNA HUDSON
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Manage and improve team operations with diplomatic and resourceful leadership. High-energy problem-solver knowledgeable about competitor strategies and talented in adapting team techniques to overcome challenging styles. Devise and deploy solid recruitment strategies to bring in top athletes.
- Evaluated individual knowledge, skills, and game strengths and assigned team positions to maximize talent areas.
- Implemented exercise programs and training strategies, which bolstered individual and team performance.
- Boosted performance of individual athletes by devising strategic personal training programs.
- Worked with individual team members to devise personalized exercise plans targeting specific areas of improvement.
- Readied athletes for tough games by implementing coordinated regimens of practices and physical conditioning.
- Promoted stretching, mobility work and proper form to help athletes safely build strength through diverse training methods.
- Recruited athletes by attending games, meeting with families, and presenting scholarship offers.
- Cultivated community and media relations through social media and other communication channels to support program.
- Directed ambitious practice sessions to boost athletic abilities and teamwork.
- Team building
- Exercise planning
- Physical and endurance training
- Safety awareness
- Fitness assessments
- Gameplay insights
- Facility maintenance
- Behavioral improvements
Top 4 Characteristics of a Best-in-Class Soccer Coach Resume
- Summary Highlight your best skills, accomplishments and work experience in a few short sentences, providing a snapshot of your career. For example: “Motivated soccer coach with 3+ years of experience coaching high school teams, instilling discipline and exceptional performance in match play.”
- Skills Scan the requirements for the job and pick out key phrases that match with your strengths, such as “communicate with players and parents to clearly establish expectations,” and list skills that match these keywords (e.g., “superior communication skills with student players and parents”). Provide a mix of technical skills, such as certifications in first aid or coaching and intangible skills, such as motivational abilities, positivity and flexibility.
- Work History When detailing previous roles, emphasize your accomplishments and give specific details on how you’ve been successful, using active action verbs to make an impact. For instance: “Directed practice sessions and game planning for youth groups of 20+ players between ages of 5-12” makes a better impression than “Was responsible for practice and game management for young players.”
- Education List your highest academic qualification (e.g., high school diploma or college degree), along with relevant training or certifications you’ve undertaken that apply to the job, such as FIFA Elite Senior Coaching Certification.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the Right Template for Your Resume
Get an edge on the competition by giving your resume a professional, organized look using our free templates.
The clean layout allows for easy scanning thanks to its subtle use of spacing and colors, with headings arranged in the left margin.
As the name suggests, this organized layout focuses on your relevant and notable achievements, with an elegant header adding a sophisticated look.
This template’s bold dual-color fonts for the header provide extra impact, while sleek lines organize your summary, experience and accomplishments.
Soccer Coach Resume FAQs
1. What are skills you should list on a soccer coach resume?
|Hard skills:||Soft skills:|
|Knowledge of technical soccer skills||Leadership skills|
|Spatial awareness||Motivational training|
|Physical and endurance training||Time management|
|Safety awareness||Problem-solving skills|
|CPR and first-aid certification||Patience|
|Knowledge of technical soccer skills|
|Physical and endurance training|
|CPR and first-aid certification|
2. How should you format your resume?
Since coaching mainly depends upon practical skills, use a combination format for your resume, showcasing both your relevant abilities and work experience. If you lack work experience, use a functional format, which stresses the training and abilities you already have. For jobs that require extensive work experience, use the chronological format, which focuses on your work history.
3. What are some examples of certifications and training that are ideal for this resume?
In addition to License to Coach, including the following certifications and training would further enhance your resume:
- U.S. Soccer coaching license
- National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) certification
- National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) coaching certification Program
- United Soccer Coaches Advanced courses
4. How do I include keywords in my resume?
When writing your resume, go through the job description and make note of important words and phrases, such as “high level of professionalism, honesty, integrity and an excellent work ethic” or “strong team-building skills.” Employers and applicant tracking systems (ATS) will scan your resume for content that addresses these keywords. Make sure you feature skills and work experiences in your resume that fills these requirements (e.g., “Successfully built and managed youth soccer team of 25 players, winning local community championship” would address the “strong team building skills” keyword), while taking care not to simply copy and paste keywords into your resume.
5. How should you craft your resume if you’re looking to take the next step forward in your career?
To move up in the coaching ranks, look to add the following to your resume:
- Continue to build expertise in improving team performance and individual players’ techniques.
- Gain experience that shows you have an in-depth understanding of game and practice management, and team leadership
- Additional training or certifications (such as a soccer coaching certification) that solidify your standings as a knowledgeable coach.