Table of Contents
Featured Resume Example: Football Coach
Name: ROY CRAWFORD
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Hardworking Football Coach highly effective at building and managing successful programs. Skilled in selecting coaching staff, evaluating players and managing rigorous practice schedules to prepare for challenging games.
- Coordinated with parents, boosters and other resources to meet all team needs, including sports equipment and practice arrangements.
- Evaluated individual knowledge, skills, and game strengths and assigned team positions to maximize talent areas.
- Implemented exercise programs and training strategies, which bolstered individual and team performance.
- Prepared athletes for special competitions and tournaments.
- Evaluated tapes of competition matches to assess strategies and plan counter approaches.
- Worked with individual team members to devise personalized exercise plans targeting specific areas of improvement.
- Directed ambitious practice sessions to boost athletic abilities and teamwork.
- Held special events such as playersâ€™ nights to promote activities and build relationships among teammates, families and members of local community.
- Recruited athletes by attending games, meeting with families, and presenting scholarship offers.
- Team building
- Physical and endurance training
- Fitness assessments
- Facility maintenance
- Offensive and defensive strategy
- Exercise planning
- Safety awareness
Bachelor of Science : Physiology
Top 4 Characteristics of a Best-in-Class Football Coach Resume
- Summary Feature your best traits in a few sentences, focusing on your top accomplishments and skills. Lead off with a relevant personality trait, such as energy or professionalism. For example: “Energetic football coach with professional approach to developing players and teams.” Then add an accomplishment or two that shows off your effectiveness (e.g., “5+ years’ experience coaching high-school football teams to winning records”).
- Skills Scan the job description for the football coach position and pick out keywords that match with your strengths and abilities, such as leadership abilities, or “coaching fundamental skills and techniques.” Add those skills here, along with important intangible skills such as problem-solving abilities, an energetic approach or motivational skills.
- Work History Emphasize achievements and milestones rather than day-to-day tasks, including details and numbers to give your accomplishments more weight. For example: “Coached high school team to 2 city championships” gives employers more information than “coached high school team to championships.”
- Education In addition to your highest educational credential (e.g., high school diploma or college degree), include any recognized coaching qualifications, such as USA Football certification, and any additional training or courses you’ve taken in related areas, such as Sports Science.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the Right Template for Your Resume
Don’t spend your time searching high and low for a presentable resume. Here are three professionally-crafted templates you can customize in minutes to build a football coach resume.
This clean design makes subtle use of color and varied fonts to improve readability and highlight your qualifications.
This eye-catching layout features strong fonts and color highlights for a unique look. The summary section is highlighted to grab the reader’s attention.
The simple, classy design uses indents and bold headings for a clear presentation. The extra pinch of color injects some creativity to your resume’s look.
Football Coach Resume FAQs
1. What are the skills you should list on a football coach resume?
|Hard skills:||Soft skills:|
|Football schemes and formations||Leadership skills|
|Practice management||Training and development|
|Offensive and defensive strategy||Time management|
|Gameplay insight||Problem-solving skills|
|Injury assessments||Communication skills|
|Perseverance and empathy|
|Football schemes and formations|
|Offensive and defensive strategy|
|Training and development|
|Perseverance and empathy|
2. How should you format your resume?
If you have a few years of coaching experience under your belt, use a combination format, which focuses on both your work history and your related skills. If you’re a first-time coach, use a functional format, which highlights your skills and training. If you have more than five years of experience and are applying for a position that values a veteran coach, use a chronological format, which zeroes in on your work history and career progression.
3. What are some examples of certifications and training that are ideal for this resume?
Look to feature the following certifications and training to further enhance your resume:
- First Aid, Health and Safety certification
- Courses in coaching fundamentals
- NFHS coaching certification
- USA Football training and certification
4. How do I include keywords in my resume?
Go through the job description and take note of important words and phrases, such as “good knowledge of offensive and defensive strategies” and “student development, including academic and athletic performance.” Employers and applicant tracking systems (ATS) will scan your resume for content that addresses these keywords. Make sure you feature skills and work experiences in your resume that fills these requirements while taking care not to simply copy and paste these keywords into your resume. For example, in your work experience, you could write “Provided direction and education to student-athletes, improving academic and on-field performance.”
5. How should you craft your resume if you’re looking to take the next step forward in your career?
To move up to a more senior coaching position, add the following to your resume:
- Examples of how you’ve effectively managed, trained and guided teams to sustained success
- Examples of excellence in specific areas of the game, such as defensive strategies or developing a strong running game
- Consistent record of winning or developing competitive teams at different age levels