As a development worker, you are a natural problem solvers who is adept at identifying the and promoting a community’s strengths. Those skills will serve you well as you begin your job search and work on crafting a resume that highlights your most impressive achievements.
A winning community development worker resume is one that is carefully tailored to the position you’re seeking, so you need to study the job posting before you start writing. What you choose to include in your resume summary and highlights will vary depending on the type of work you hope to do, but organizational skills and experience managing volunteers are almost always relevant. Finally, make sure that your resume includes a reference to your past experience with or commitment to the population you’ll be serving in you get the job.
Have a look at our resume examples for more ideas on what you might include in your own resume.
Community Development Worker Resume Questions
1. How do you write the header of a community development worker resume?
The header of your resume template is the most straightforward aspect of it, making it the perfect place to start. The header consists of all the important personal details, such as your name, phone number, email address, and physical address. Center it or right align it in the body of the Word document. Do not use the heading function, but do use a clean, easy-to-read font. While you can make your heading a different color than the rest of the document, stick with a dark, professional, and easy-to-see color, such as red or blue. Refer to the community development worker resume sample for an idea of how to create a professional-looking header.
2. How do you write the qualifications section of a community development worker resume?
The qualifications section is the next easiest section to write. It consists of six to eight bullet-pointed skills. Refer to the job description to get an idea of which skills the employer values most, and draw attention to those abilities in this section. Doing so will not only help you catch the attention of the hiring manager, but also, it can help you resume bypass an ATS. Applicant Tracking Systems scan documents for keywords and rank them. Those with higher rankings go directly to the hiring manager while those with lower rankings get archived. This community development worker resume sample provides an excellent example of a strong qualifications section.
3. How long should a community development worker resume be?
Unless you have more than 10 years of relevant experience, your resume format should be no more than a single page in length. However, if you have 10 to 25 years of experience, you can get away with two pages. If you have more than 25 years of relevant work experience, three pages would be fine.
4. How do you write an objective statement for a community development worker resume?
Unless you do not have any work experience, try to refrain from using a resume objective. Such a statement is a brief and dry account of your work history and goals. The professional summary has since replaced it.
The professional summary is an engaging two to three sentences that explain who you are and what you can bring to the table. When drafting your professional summary, think of it as an elevator pitch–meaning, if you only had 30 seconds to explain why you’re an ideal fit for the job, what would you say? Consider working your experience and intangible strengths into the pitch.
5. What can you do to make your community development worker resume stand out?
If you want to make your resume stand out, focus on quality content as opposed to a creative format. Tailor your document to each specific job for which you apply. Incorporate industry keywords and jargon where appropriate. Discuss your skills in the form of accomplishments, and back them with examples. Proofread. Though errors will get you noticed, they will do so in a bad way. An error-free resume is rare and, therefore, stands out. For help creating the perfect resume, such as this community development worker resume sample, use the online resume builder.
- Developed a community scholarship program that continues to fund itself
- Responsible for several reading initiatives for young children
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills
- Very strong promotional and marketing abilities
- Enjoys working with large groups
- Dedicated to creating a better place to live
August 2010 to February 2015 Company Name – City, State Community Development Worker
- Assisted in identifying community needs and then initiating projects to address those needs.
- Developed a wide network of community leaders who were always willing to help get projects off the ground.
- Established two after-school education centers that are still in operation to this day.
July 2007 to August 2010 Company Name – City, State Community Development Worker
- Created outreach programs that lowered school absenteeism by up to 30 percent.
- Set up counseling locations that were readily accessible to teens and young adults who needed help.
- Arranged several parent functions that educated parents on ways to help their kids do better in school.
June 1997 to July 2007 Company Name – City, State Community Development Worker
- Helped to set up a scholarship fund to send kids to college that is still in operation.
- Collaborated with community leaders to set up a community watch program.
1997 Seaside College, City, State Bachelor of Science, Social Work
More Resume Examples for the Next Step in Your Social Services Resume Career
- Behavior Technician Resume
- Behavioral Therapist Resume
- Case Manager Resume
- Case Worker Resume
- Child Protection Social Worker Resume
- Community Health Worker Resume
- Community Outreach Specialist Resume
- Community Service Coordinator Resume
- Counselor Resume
- Disability Support Worker Resume
- Domestic Violence Counselor Resume
- Drug And Alcohol Counselor Resume
- Human Service Worker Resume
- Humanitarian Aid Worker Resume
- Job Coach Resume
- Life Coach Resume
- Juvenile Probation Officer Resume
- Rehab Aide Resume
- Social Worker Resume
- Volunteer Resume
- Medical Social Worker Resume