Accounting Assistant Cover Letter Example
- 30% higher chance of getting a job
- 42% higher response rate from recruiters
Our customers have been hired at:*Foot Note
A well-written resume is only one part of an effective job application. It needs to be accompanied by a strong cover letter if you want to improve your chances of getting a callback. This guide to writing the best cover letter for an accounting assistant position will help you showcase your bookkeeping, budgeting and analytical thinking skills so you can land an interview in no time.
Accounting assistant cover letter (text)
Houston, TX 77016
June 1, 2023
Houston Restoration Group
Houston, TX 77001
As an accomplished accounting professional, I read your posting for a new accounting assistant with interest. My experience aligns well with the qualifications you are seeking at Houston Restoration Group, in particular my role as an accounting assistant with Denver Property Management Group. I am certain I would make a valuable addition to your organization.
With more than 11 years of experience as an accounting assistant, I am adept in invoicing, vendor management and document control. Moreover, while my on-the-job responsibilities have afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including first-rate clerical and problem-solving abilities, I excel at:
- Overseeing accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Tracking spending and creating detailed monthly and quarterly reports.
- Improving workflow processes and department efficiency.
- Providing clerical support to an accounting staff of 15.
- Investigating and resolving variances in over 200 digital and physical records to promote 100% integrity and accuracy.
In addition to my professional background and personal qualities, I have a solid educational foundation and a passion for accounting. I am extremely enthusiastic about Houston Restoration Group’s focus on historical property renovations and would welcome the opportunity to contribute to your continued growth and success.
Please review my attached resume for additional details regarding my expertise and career achievements. I will follow up to request an appointment to discuss how my experience and background meet your needs.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
How to format an accounting assistant cover letter
A cover letter is your chance to connect with a potential employer. It allows you to expand on your resume, introduce yourself to the hiring manager and show them why you’re the perfect fit for the job. That’s a lot for one page, but it can be done!
It all starts with using the correct cover letter format for the accounting assistant position you’re interested in.
Use the business letter format for your accounting assistant cover letter
A cover letter is a business letter, so use the layout of a standard business letter to guide the format of your document.
Use 1 and ¼ inch margins on all sides, single spacing and left alignment on your one-page letter.
As our cover letter for an accounting assistant job sample shows, your cover letter must include:
- A header with your name, city, state, ZIP code and telephone number.
- The recipient’s address and contact information.
- A greeting, like “Dear Sarah Campbell,” “Dear Hiring Manager,” or “Dear Accounting Department.”
- A simple closing, like “Best regards” or “Sincerely.”
Using an accounting assistant cover letter template is the best way to ensure your cover letter is formatted correctly and won’t be rejected by applicant tracking systems (ATS). Plug your letter into our Cover Letter Builder and we’ll give you step-by-step guidance and job-specific phrases to use. In no time, you’ll have a professional cover letter for an accounting assistant job to pair with your resume.
How to write a cover letter for an accounting assistant job
Start with a compelling introduction
Hiring managers don’t want to waste time reading boring, generic job application documents, so you must draw them in immediately with your accounting assistant cover letter opening. Think of your cover letter introduction like an elevator pitch and be clear and compelling. Mention why you’re writing and interested in the job and highlight why you’re the best candidate for it. Convey enthusiasm and confidence in your abilities.
Use accomplishments to showcase why you’re an excellent fit for the role
As you’ll see in cover letter examples for accounting assistant jobs, the body of your cover letter should paint an in-depth picture of your career history, while offering insight into your interests and values. In one or two paragraphs, show the potential employer what you’re capable of. Use action verbs like “Improved” and “Optimized” to describe your unique work accomplishments and highlight both hard and soft skills using keywords from the job description.
Close with an invitation
Do what our sample cover letter for an accounting assistant position does and use the final paragraph of your cover letter to thank the hiring manager for their time and consideration. Reiterate how excited you are about the possibility of working for the company and then wrap up with a call to action that invites the hiring manager to follow up with you to learn more about your capabilities.
Do’s and don’ts for building an accounting assistant cover
- Address the recruiter or hiring manager directly.
- Explain what attracted you to the company in one or two sentences.
- Customize your accounting assistant cover letter for the job.
- Include keywords from the job description throughout.
- End with a clear call to action.
- Proofread your cover letter more than once.
- Write a generic accounting assistant cover letter.
- Write more than one page.
- Use generic salutations, like “To Whom It May Concern.”
- Regurgitate your accounting assistant resume.
- Rely on automatic grammar or spell-checkers.
- Write a fan letter, even if it is your dream job.