The contemporary job search process has been enhanced and further complicated by technology, especially for those seeking work in the computer industry. Something that has remained the same since before the digital revolution, however, is the need for a strong CV to accompany your job application. Hiring managers and human resources departments still primarily focus on a candidate’s CV in order to determine suitability for a job. Below, you can find a programmer CV example to assist you in making your document the best it can be.
Build Your CV
113 Circle Drive, Atlanta, GA 11111
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 555-870-1299
Innovative tech mind with 15 years of experience working as a computer programmer. Capable of working with a variety of technology and software solutions, and managing databases. Valuable team member who has experience diagnosing problems and developing solutions. Extensive expertise in networking systems and working with mainframe computers. Talented leader with unique ideas and a history of successful contributions in the field.
- Solve software errors by running extensive testing processes and analyzing details about the program settings.
- Review computer software program functionality and adjust capabilities to reflect project objectives, management input, or other feedback.
- Lead the building process of new program development by managing all tasks and supervising the team of analysts and operators.
- Revised programming and software development projects by updating code and working to improve functionality.
- Constructed workflow documents before beginning a new project in order to map out program design and ideas visually.
- Lowered a software package’s error and bug rate by 87% with a new series of updates and programming revisions.
- Analyzed systems administration tools and programming input to help improve the software design of a product.
- Documented each new update and revision of any type of software project by using comments in the instructions area of the code.
- Improved the efficiency of an e-commerce suite of enterprise software by more than 60% with revisions and workflow changes.
After my work day ends each day, I work on hobbies that are based on computers and technology. I am a volunteer at a local community technology venture that aims to bring high-tech devices to low-income neighborhoods. I work with local vendors to get technology donations onto a portable technology bus that visits various parts of the city several times a week. On the bus, I assist young people and the elderly with getting connected.
Build Your CV
Programmer CV Questions
The qualifications section is your place to introduce yourself to prospective employers, allowing you to present a compelling, succinct value statement. Use no more than three bullet points or sentences to describe your strongest skills, demonstrating with confident, action-oriented language why you would be a great hire for the job.
Focus on high-level skills rather than specific achievements. Scan target job advertisements to identify which talents employers covet most, and reflect those talents in your qualification section. Our programmer CV sample will inspire you with great examples, but if you need more help, try our resume builder to create a customized qualifications section and perfect CV.
Your computer skills provide the core of your qualifications. Frame them as part of your experience and opening summary, rather than just a dry list of technologies. It’s better to say you transformed dynamic website programming through AJAX than it is to just list Ã¢‚¬Å“AJAXÃ¢‚¬ buried among numerous other technologies.
That’s not to say you can’t list key technical capabilities in your list of skills. Spotlight a few judicious key skills plucked from target job advertisements to round out your presentation and give employers an easy way to scan for what they seek.
As a programmer, it’s important for you to stay on top of your certifications. Even more important is how you use those certifications as selling points in your CV. While your certifications primarily belong in your education section, listed in reverse chronological order, you can also use notable acronyms after your name in your header to spotlight your most desirable qualifications.
Just be smart in how you do it. For example, if you’re a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert, it’s easy to list MCSE after your name to let employers know you’ve got top skills. However, you don’t want to actually write out the full name or it’ll take up too much space. You want to keep your CV short and clean, like our programmer CV sample.
An ATS, or applicant tracking system, can be tricky. It can weed your CV out not based on understanding of your qualifications, but simply due to the wrong words used to describe those qualifications. Applicant tracking systems match key words and phrases in your CV to determine if you’re a match for the job.
To pass the screening algorithms, you should modify your CV with each new job you apply for to make careful use of key terms taken from the target job advertisement. Integrate them into your descriptions of duties in your work history and list them in your skills section.
For optimal presentation, your CV should follow the example of our programmer CV sample and stay at one page. A one-page CV presents just enough information to be thorough without overwhelming and lets employers grasp your qualifications at a single glance. If you find yourself having difficulty trimming your CV, take a look at our programmer CV example for ideas Ã¢‚¬€œ and try cutting down your experience to only the last 10-15 years. Anything else is out of date.
Programmer CV Must-Haves
What Does a Programmer Do?
A computer programmer works mostly with computer software design and development. Generally, programmers spend most of their working time writing and revising computer programming code for software programs and digital tools. They may consult with project managers and computer software developers before designing a plan of action. With their team, they may discuss potential software goals for each project and map out a visual blueprint of the possibilities before starting on the code. Then, computer programmers spend much of their time tackling the coding process. In the programmer CV example, there are also many opportunities for programmers to work on revisions for improving projects later down the timeline. Additionally, programmers work hard to fix errors and bugs as they pop up during the process.
Tips for Creating a Great Programmer CV
This in-demand job can be yours if you follow all of the best practices for writing an effective CV. Here are some additional ways your CV can be more effective in this industry:
– Provide as much detail as possible about your experience with common programming language and technology tools.
– Showcase your career achievements and highlight your leadership abilities by including times you led a programming team or project.
– Discuss your ability to stay focused and solve difficult problems.
– List your professional experience from the past 10 years or so in reverse chronological order, and include your most relevant job duties that you completed each day.
– Give evidence of your qualifications by detailing any certification information that shows you have met the licensure requirements (if required).
– Avoid font sizes smaller than 10-pt.