Table of Contents
Featured resume example: restaurant server
Name: BRIANNA GIBSON
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Experienced restaurant server with three years of experience working in busy eating establishments. Friendly and upbeat. Reliable, punctual and flexible. Customer service experience and strong communication skills.
- Food and beverage pairings
- Strong communication skills
- Customer service expertise
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to lift heavy trays
- Daily specials memorization
- Dining area cleanliness
- Serve up to 50 meals per shift at this chain steakhouse
- Extensive knowledge of the 8 different cuts of beef available for sale
- Assist customers with dietary restrictions and food allergies choose appropriate salads and sides
- Responsible for ensuring salad prep areas are clean and well-stocked before each shift
- Served up to 40 meals per shift at this busy family-friendly Italian chain
- Memorized three pasta and two salad specials per shift
- Assisted customers with dietary restrictions and food allergies order appropriate meals
- Performed extensive side work both before and after shift to ensure food prep areas were clean and well-organized
Top 4 characteristics of a best-in-class restaurant server resume
- Summary Present a concise rundown of your best skills and work history, making sure that they address the job description. Use terms and phrases that emphasize your flexibility and work ethic, such as “Reliable, punctual restaurant server experienced with fast-paced dining venues. Well-versed in excellent customer service and safe food-handling practices.”
- Skills Present a blend of relevant practical and soft skill sets that highlight your abilities to get the job done, but also show you can be a collaborative team player. Mention skills such as the ability to carry heavy loads, customer issue resolution, efficient order and payment processing, and a positive attitude.
- Work history Mention previous jobs that display abilities important to restaurant server work, such as working as a customer service representative at a store. Focus on work accomplishments, or recognitions that show the quality of your work (e.g., “Nominated ‘Employee of the Month’ twice for excellent customer service”). If you are a recent graduate or first-time job seeker, create a section called “Activities” where you can share any volunteer work or internships that relate to server tasks (e.g., being a volunteer caterer at a nonprofit event).
- Education Include your highest academic credential (e.g., high school diploma or college degree), as well as any training you’ve had in restaurant work through part-time or extracurricular work. For example: “Server training at ABC restaurant, summer part-time work.”
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the right template for your resume
Make sure your restaurant server resume looks its best, using the easily customizable templates in our resume builder.
The splash of color gives this layout a unique look, while strong headers and dividing lines make it easy to navigate.
This template features prominent placement of the job applicant’s name, plus a straightforward layout that allows for easy customization of information.
This design groups section headings in the left margin, enabling recruiters to scan content at a glance. A color border for the header and bold fonts achieve a streamlined look.
What Makes Our Resume Builder Great?
1. Professional, Customizable Templates
Stand out with MyPerfectResume’s eye-catching resume templates! Building a noteworthy resume has never been easier or faster.
2. Expertly Crafted Phrases
Don’t get stuck writing about your work experience. Create an impressive resume with our pre-written, industry-specific bullet points!
3. Popular Format Downloads
Need your resume in PDF, word, or an image file? You’re in control with multiple export and download options.
4. Optimize Your Resume
With resume score and resume check, we’ll rate the strength of your resume and guide you through actionable steps to make a resume that showcases your best professional self!
5. Customize Your Resume to The Job
Copy and paste a job description from any listing and get a job-specific resume match score. We’ll guide you through tailoring your resume for the job!
6. Up Your Application Game
With Smart Apply, we’ll help you find an opportunity, customize your resume, create a matching cover letter, and download your documents. We’ll even send you to the web page where you can apply!
Restaurant server resume FAQ
1. What are some top skills you should include in your resume?
|Practical skills:||Soft skills:|
|Cleaning and preparing restaurant tables||Ability to work under pressure|
|Attending to customers||Team spirit|
|Presenting menus, and taking and serving orders||Efficient multitasking|
|Proficient customer service||Dedication towards work|
|Helping customers select food and beverages according to requirements||Keen learner|
|Collaborating with restaurant staff members||Excellent communication and interpersonal skills|
|Handling customer complaints and queries||Detail-oriented|
|Cleaning and preparing restaurant tables|
|Attending to customers|
|Presenting menus, and taking and serving orders|
|Proficient customer service|
|Helping customers select food and beverages according to requirements|
|Collaborating with restaurant staff members|
|Handling customer complaints and queries|
|Ability to work under pressure|
|Dedication towards work|
|Excellent interpersonal and communication skills|
2. How should I update my resume to take the next step in my career?
To move up to waitstaff leader or a similar managerial position, highlight strengths such as:
- Examples where you’ve taken leadership to help improve restaurant operations and service
- Projects where you demonstrated organizing and delegation skills
- Your overall knowledge of food and beverages
3. How should I format my resume for a restaurant server position?
If you have a few years of experience, use a combination resume format, which features both your relevant work history and skills. If you’re a recent graduate or first-time worker, use the functional resume format, which allows you to give more detail on the skills you already have.
For more details on how to format your resume, visit your resume format page.
4. How should keywords be used in a resume?
Each section of your resume should contain keywords that relate to the job, as found in the job description (e.g., “cleaning and sanitizing dining areas” or “multitasking abilities”). In your summary and work history sections, describe how you’ve successfully fulfilled these requirements in previous jobs, and in your skills section list your abilities that match these keywords.