Perfect Resume Example
George Watson. 788-603-5469. email@example.com. LinkedInURL.
Recent magna cum laude graduate of high-ranking secondary education program. Desire to combine teaching experience with research background to promote nurturing, stimulating, and constructive environments for students at the high school level.
University of Miami. Miami, FL. B.A. in Secondary Education.
• Major GPA: 3.9/4.0
• ESOL certified.
South High School, Miami, FL. 2015-2016. Student teacher.
• Instructed high school juniors in American Literature alongside supervisory teacher.
• Cultivated learning atmosphere by facilitating class discussions and inviting contributions from all students.
• Designed projects that illustrated the themes of course novels.
• Delivered information using a multimedia approach. Encouraged students to use emerging technologies in their coursework.
• Graded assignments, providing both positive feedback and constructive criticism.
UM Developmental Psychology Lab. 2014-2016. Research Assistant.
• Assisted on a portion of a developmental psychology study investigating motivations for maladaptive behaviors in adolescents.
• Conducted interviews with at-risk youth to gather information about their social influences.
• Developed questionnaires using Qualtrics software and administered them to subjects.
• Coded and analyzed data for trends.
• Authored a portion of research paper published in Winter 2016 edition of Development Quarterly.
Bright Start Tutoring Center. Miami, FL. 2013-2014. Tutor.
• Tutored high school freshmen and sophomores struggling with English courses.
• Taught strategies for recognizing and eliminating weak writing.
• Edited writing assignments and addressed problem areas with students.
• 85% of students improved by at least one letter grade in their following academic quarters.
• NVivo qualitative data software
• Blackboard online learning platform
• Strong oral and written communication
• Leading and moderating discussions
• Organizing classrooms and materials
• Planning and executing events
• Conversational Spanish proficiency
What to Notice in a Perfect Resume Example: College Grads
In the perfect resume example, George starts off on the right foot by including a URL to his LinkedIn profile. This enables employers to access his professional brand, giving them a more complete picture of what he can offer them.
George places the education section near the top of the perfect resume example, but he does not go into detail about his coursework. While it is acceptable for college grads to provide examples of courses and projects, George has enough relevant work and internship experience to focus on those instead. Note, however, that he does include his major GPA. GPAs of 3.0 and higher look good to employers, and it is even better to include your major GPA if it is higher than your overall GPA.
George makes no mention of high school, as his status as a college graduate makes this information irrelevant. It also looks much better for him to focus on recent achievements rather than on activities from four to eight years ago. George does mention his numerous skills and qualifications, such as his ESOL certification and his ability to use a variety of relevant computer programs.
Perfect Resume Example: At a Glance
• Do provide your GPA if it is a 3.0 or above. If your major GPA is higher than your overall GPA, then you can provide that instead.
• Don’t mention education or experience from high school. Employers want to know what you have been doing recently, not what you did before you got your driver’s license.
• Do use action verbs when outlining your duties at previous positions. This shows employers that you are capable of taking steps and getting results.
• Do include only coursework that is relevant to the job.