Table of Contents
Featured resume example: reporting analyst
Name: LOGAN ORTIZ
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Dedicated Reporting Analyst offering experience effectively creating, evaluating and improving reporting processes. Driven to support continuous improvement and efficiency.
- Conducted security assessments and made recommendations for disaster recovery, remote access, network appliances, servers and directory services security
- Managed application patches, data backup, security changes and network configuration and replaced boards, changed servers and loaded and tested software applications
- Prepared operational reports, including trouble resolution and analysis, project status, equipment and network requirements
- Monitored use of data files and regulated access to protect secure information
- Engineered, maintained and repaired security systems and programmable logic controls
- Researched and developed new computer forensic tools
- Researched accounts to reconcile inaccuracies and correct business processes.
- Automated multiple reporting tasks through creation of reporting tools.
- Captured business functions and technology
- Compiling data
- Relational database management
- Database development
- Systems administration
- Data tracking applications
- Reporting efficiency and accuracy
- Statistical methodology
- Performance metrics evaluation
Top 4 characteristics of a best-in-class reporting analyst resume
- Summary Provide recruiters with a clear picture of your value, emphasizing your top relevant skills and significant work achievements. For example, “Conducted complex analysis of sales metrics that helped the Board of Directors to make critical strategic decisions on products and services.”
- Skills Recruiters are now using applicant tracking systems (ATS) to screen candidates, so scan the job description to pick up key phrases and skills that you should address in this section. Some attributes that employers look for in a reporting analyst are:
• Data analysis
• Data warehousing
• Developing financial statements
• Design, develop and test dashboards
• Ensuring compliance with procedures, state regulations and national directives
• Knowledge of MS Access for developing ad-hoc reports
• Knowledge of Sharepoint
• Knowledge of SQL-driven applications
• Identifying key performance indicators
• Knowledge of VBA programming and Powerpoint
- Work history As your work will depend on reports, metrics and analysis, show how you’ve excelled in these areas, highlighting achievements using quantifiable numbers. For example: “Increased sales team productivity by 28% within 7 months by identifying key performance indicators using data warehousing.”
- Education This position usually requires a bachelor’s degree in information systems, finance, business or a related field. Additional Certifications or training in SQL and Microsoft Excel are also useful to feature in this sectionSome financial data and reporting analysts also pursue CFA credentials.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the right template for your resume
No need to analyze all the resume templates out there — use these employer-ready designs to build your own.
This template is perfect for candidates across all sectors because of its straightforward layout, with section headings arranged along the left margins for easy reference.
This design makes subtle use of color fonts to demarcate each section, while the straightforward layout allows for quick customization, depending on what you want to feature.
This layout makes it easy to remember the job applicant’s name, thanks to the large font. The use of indentations and space makes for an uncluttered but organized look.
Reporting analyst resume FAQ
1. What are the skills you should emphasize for this specific job?
The most prominent skill for reporting analysts is the ability to analyze data and put it to good use. Strong statistical, mathematical, programming, analytical and reporting skills are essential for success in this position, such as the following:
- Data analysis
- Data warehousing
- Identifying key performance indicators
- Developing financial statements
- Designing data management systems and reporting tools
- SQL and VBA programming proficiency
- Solid decision-making
- Problem-solving skills,
- Logical thinking
- Written and verbal communication
2. What are some examples of training and certifications that fit this specific resume?
A bachelor’s degree in business administration, information systems, information management or related areas is the basic requirement for reporting analysts. Some companies prefer professionals with a master’s degree. College courses or professional training in command-line operating systems, office programs and statistical applications also fit this role. If you are in the financial sector, the CFA credential offered by the CFA Institute will provide you with excellent knowledge to be a successful reporting analyst. Certification courses in SQL, VBA, Microsoft Access, etc., will prove to be very useful for reporting analysts.
3. How should you format your resume?
If you are applying for an entry-level job with limited or no experience, opt for the functional format, which emphasizes necessary academic qualifications and skills over experience. The combination format works well if you want to showcase both your abilities and experience, or have transferable skills gained from jobs in other industries. Choose the chronological format if you can demonstrate extensive work experience and a steady career path.
4. How should you craft your resume if you’re looking to take the next step forward in your career?
To advance your career and enhance your professional knowledge, look at obtaining proficiency and certifications in the following areas:
- Advanced analytical degrees
- Machine learning
- Practical knowledge of data importation for dashboards and spreadsheets
- Attending webinars and study groups to enhance design skills
- Training in project management and risk management
- Advanced courses in mathematics, statistics and advanced algebra
- Certification as an Analytics Professional
- Certification in mining massive data sets
- Cloudera Certified Professional