Are you looking to supplement your graduate studies with experience in the classroom? If so, a position as a graduate teaching assistant may be right for you, but you’ll need an exceptional CV to stand out in a highly competitive academic environment. Your CV should clearly demonstrate your suitability as an educator and the ways in which you can contribute to your supervising professor’s work, the classroom, and the university department as a whole. This graduate assistant CV example can help you decide what to include for your own polished, tailored CV.
Build My CV
456 1st Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 11111
E: email@example.com T: 555-555-4321
Experienced teacher with a background in education who is looking to complement graduate studies with the opportunity to teach at the college level. Skilled communicator dedicated to helping students understand course content by presenting material from multiple angles. Highly organized professional who can manage multiple projects at once and consistently meet deadlines.
- -Excellent organizational skills necessary to keep classes on track and ensure that all coursework is evaluated and returned in a timely manner. -Profound communication skills that enable me to present class material to students at many academic levels; work in tandem with other educators in the school system; and, when necessary, express concerns in a calm, professional manner to students, parents, and administrators. -Deep passion for working in an educational setting to provide students with the best foundation possible for pursuit of a college degree or career of their choice. -Sensitivity to culture that allows for understanding of and interactions with students and teachers from diverse backgrounds. -Computer proficiency, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- Created and implemented lessons that engaged and encouraged academic growth among a wide variety of students from diverse backgrounds.
- Helped high school students develop an appreciation for history and its implications in the modern world.
- Collaborated closely with fellow administrative and teaching faculty to provide a safe, effective learning environment for all students.
- Worked closely with supervising teacher to prepare lessons and evaluate course content.
- Helped students master topics being taught and provided supervision and behavior management in a large class setting.
- Taught history classes for high school students in freshman and sophomore years.
- Provided assistance for high school students in a wide variety of subjects, including math, science, history, and English.
- Helped students access and synthesize course content.
- Offered guidance in preparing for college admissions tests, such as ACTs and SATs.
I decided to pursue a graduate degree because education is my passion, and I wish to gain a broader understanding of the field of education to help students in my classroom and across the nation. Thus, teaching is my primary interest. Outside of the classroom, my greatest pleasure lies in spending time with my wife and son. I also enjoy volunteering with Greater Philadelphia Cares. In my spare time, I like to keep up with the last scholarship on the Greco-Roman world, my particular area of historical interest.
Build My CV
Graduate Assistant CV Must-Haves
What Does a Graduate Assistant Do?
A graduate assistant is typically enrolled in a graduate program and may play a wide variety of roles within that program, from leading classes to assisting in university offices, such as admissions, to working in the laboratory. In particular, teaching assistants may provide support to faculty by preparing class materials, evaluating coursework, and leading classes at lower levels. The position of graduate assistant may be highly sought after because it provides an opportunity to develop career-related skills, work closely with leading academics, and develop ties with educational leaders and organizations. Thus, it is vital that your application include a strong CV. Review this graduate assistant CV example for ideas about what essential elements you should include in your own CV.
Tips for Creating a Great Graduate Assistant CV
The following are a few tips for polishing your graduate assistant CV:
– In the Work Experience section, steer away from bland verbs. Instead, start each description with a powerful career-related action verb for maximum impact. This section should be succinct and highlight your successes and strengths.
– Make your Professional Summary interesting because it is the first things readers will see. Present your most relevant characteristics and skills here so reviewers have a clear picture of what you will bring to the graduate assistant program.
– Emphasize not only your teaching skills but also your abilities to organize and communicate. These will be essential for work as an assistant to a graduate-level instructor.
– Avoid using fonts smaller than 10 point, which can be incredibly difficult to read. Stick to sizes 11 or 12 in a font that is easy on the eyes but doesn’t take up too much space.