Social Media Manager Resume: Examples and Tips
Social media managers are responsible for planning, implementing, managing and monitoring an organization’s social media strategy. Employees in this profession work closely with marketing and sales departments to increase brand awareness and sales.
These writing tips and resume examples will help you craft a perfect resume, and take your social media management career to the next level.
Table of Contents
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the Right Template for your Resume
Get a leg up on the competition by using a professional template for your resume and our resume builder.
The traditional design, with an added pinch of color, makes this template attractive. Each section is clearly separated to enable faster skimming for essential points.
Clean lines and a vivid color treatment makes for a striking first impression. The two-column format makes it easy for the recruiter to find relevant information.
The prominent header creates a bold impression with its red background and light color font. The section headings are highlighted in boxes to give this template a distinguished look. Straightforward bulleted information can be easily skimmed-through in the sections — a suitable resume template for an experienced social media manager.
For a full selection of layouts you can use for your resume, visit our resume templates page.
Do’s and Don’ts for Your Resume
- Use bullet points. Recruiters only take a few seconds to read a resume on average, so make reading your resume easier by using bullet points rather than lengthy sentences. Use a resume format that uses bulleted lists to highlight the most crucial aspects of your resume: your relevant skills and work history.
- Quantify your accomplishments wherever you can. A social media manager’s success depends on stats — driving traffic and analyzing user interactions. Quantifying your work in terms of successfully increasing followers/website traffic by a certain percentage, or other measurable accomplishments will prove your ability to effectively meet marketing goals.
- Add keywords from the job posting. Make sure you read the job description carefully, looking for important words and phrases that define job requirements, such as familiarity with applications such as Premiere Pro or Photoshop, or traits such as excellent customer service skills. Make sure you address these keywords in your own resume. This will optimize your document for application tracking systems (ATS) that many companies use to scan resumes for the right keywords.
- Don’t include certain details. Resumes have changed, and there’s no longer a need to include your specific mailing address in your contact information, or your college GPA (unless you’re specifically asked for it). Just follow our resume examples and templates as a guide for the right type of information to include.
- Don’t write an over-long resume. A recruiter typically spends only a few seconds reviewing a resume. To give your resume more impact during that time, aim to keep your document one page long, and don’t exceed more than two pages. Concise bullet points and phrases will help you pack in important details without taxing recruiters’ attention spans.
- Don’t include references on your resume. Adding references to your resume is a thing of the past — make use of your resume space to give complete details on your best skills and work experiences. If employers need references, they’ll contact you directly.
Resume Examples for the Next Step in your Marketing Career
- Brand Manager Resume
- Campaign Field Director Resume
- Communications Specialist Resume
- Conversion Optimization Specialist Resume
- Marketing Coordinator Resume
- Ecommerce Business Analyst Resume
- Ecommerce Marketing Manager Resume
- Marketing Manager Resume
- Media Planner Resume
- Marketing Merchandise Associate Resume
- Product Manager Resume
- Public Affairs Specialist Resume
- Seo Analyst Resume
- Sponsorship Executive Resume
- Strategic Accounts Manager Resume
Cover letter Examples for the Next Step in your Marketing Career
Cv Examples for the Next Step in your Marketing Career
- Advertising Account Executive
- Advertising Account Manager
- Business Development Executive
- Communication Officer
- Digital Marketing Executive
- Marketing Executive
- Marketing Coordinator
- Marketing Officer
- Online Campaign Manager
- Pricing Analyst
- Product Manager
- Public Relations Officer
- Technical Manager
- Trade Marketing Manager
Social Media Manager Resume FAQ
1. Resume objective or summary statement? What should a social media manager's resume have?
A resume objective states the job seeker’s career goals, and is considered outdated — employers are less interested about personal goals, and more interested in the positives you can bring to a company. Use a summary statement to concisely communicate what you can do for the company, and convey your top professional accomplishments.
2. What should be included in the header section?
A resume’s header section should ideally include the applicant’s name and their contact details (as shown in the examples on this page), including your work/personal email address, city, state of residence, and a link to your LinkedIn profile or professional portfolio website (if any). Make sure you double-check this information before sending in your resume — you’ll want employers to have an accurate way to get in touch.
3. What skills should be featured in a social media manager’s resume?
Some common skills that employers look for in a social media manager’s resume include:
4. Which social media marketing certifications can be added to the resume?
Some common certifications that can take your social media manager’s profile to the next level include:
5. What’s the best file format for a resume?
MS Word and PDF are the most common file formats for a resume — these formats enable you to use different resume fonts and elements to create a professionally striking resume which can be read almost universally. Our resume examples and templates are downloadable in Word and PDF format — use them as a guide.