Any potential job candidate looking to work at the university level knows how important the curriculum vitae is during the hiring process. Hiring managers for universities and colleges expect nothing but the best when it comes to your CV. If you have what it takes to succeed professionally, but you aren’t sure how to put it in writing, a sample document can guide you. Spend some time looking through this university professor CV examples and the following tips to make your job search more fruitful.
123 Fake Street, City, State, Zip Code
E: firstname.lastname@example.org P: 000-000-0000
Expert English literature and language university professor with more than 22 years of experience teaching at the college level. Distinguished record of publication in academic journals all over the world. Commitment to helping university students develop their full potential in their studies. Strong philosophy of teaching, and knowledge of many different methods to motivate students to develop their expertise in specific areas. Dedicated partner to university programs and outreach events that help promote learning and support the community.
- Exemplary skills in reading, analysis, research, critical thinking, and writing, giving me the optimal tools to make further advances in the field.
- Strong oral communicator and lecturer in the classroom, and effective written communicator to students and other staff members.
- Excellent coaching, teaching, and motivational skills when working with individual students and encouraging them to work to their potential.
- Friendly and personable, making interactions with students and colleagues pleasant even when discussing ways students should improve.
- Solid ability to stay organized and on top of important deadlines when teaching a full load of classes each semester.
- Promote classroom discussion by suggesting topics, modeling best practices when analyzing literature and language, and interjecting when necessary.
- Develop instructional content focusing on specific time periods in English literature or individual author studies.
- Assess students throughout the semester with a series of literary analysis papers, with a 97 percent rate of skills improvement.
- Participated in English literature and language study events and conferences throughout the nation to develop additional expertise.
- Instructed freshman students in college composition studies, maintaining a 90 percent average rate of proficiency in the course.
- Collaborated with other department colleagues to promote English literature and language events throughout the year on the campus, such as author readings and book clubs.
- Counseled English majors about individual progress, and gave advice about the appropriate course of study.
- Evaluated student research writing and other work using university and department standards for composition.
- Published a series of literary essays analyzing different themes in the early work of William Shakespeare and his contemporaries.
Outside of my professional publishing experience, I am also a skilled fiction writer. I have a collection of novels published in the women’s fiction genre. I first began publishing during my senior year of college, and I have been successfully writing and publishing a novel per year since then. During the summer, I spend time touring different regions and attending author readings and book signings for my readers.
Questions for Your University Professor CV
1. How do I write a good CV?
You write a good CV by doing the following:
- Pack the document with phrases from the job description, examples of how you’ve helped previous employers, and any impressive numbers that back up your value.
- Make sure your CV stands out (for all the right reasons) by meticulously proofreading it several times
Employers typically receive many applications for each position they advertise and only spend a few moments looking through those documents before taking further steps. It’s important to note that about half of those applicants have the right qualifications for the job. Who will get interviews? Applicants with a CV template that stand out are more likely to get positive results. Make sure your document stands out by meticulously proofreading several times. Pack the document with phrases from the job description, examples of how you’ve helped previous employers, and numbers to back up your value. Review our university professor CV sample to see these tips in action.
What is the format of a CV?
The format of a CV basically follows this outline:
- Contact information
- Summary statement
- Relevant skills
- Work experience
- Awards, honors, or other areas of interest
A curriculum vitae provides an overview of your life achievements and, especially, those accomplishments relevant to the position you want. This document grows naturally; as you continue to update the document, it may become much longer than the single page of most resumes. Present information as concisely as possible, but don’t become too concerned when you go beyond two pages. Be sure to include your name and contact information, a professional website address, educational accomplishments, academic and employment experiences, research, departmental service, and community involvement.
How do you write an objective statement for a university professor CV?
Resume objectives are a thing of the past. There are very few cases when potential employers are more interested in your goals than they are in what you can do for them. Instead of sharing your goals for the future in a personal statement, talk about who you are (professionally), what you have to offer as an employee, and why you’re an ideal candidate. This information should fit into one short and sweet paragraph. Read through our university professor CV sample to see strong action verbs and valuable skills in action.
Should you include references on a university professor CV?
The standard rule about references is to provide them on a separate document, so you can provide the list during the interview. While you should create a list of references to have on hand, you should not include this on your CV. When you do make your reference page, make sure to have permission from each person listed and tailor the page to each application you’re preparing.
How do you optimize your university professor CV for an ATS?
Many employers use an applicant tracking system to filter applications, so your document must have an appropriate format. Go for a clean format and simple font. Tailor the CV for each job you want and include mandatory requirements from the job description. Read through the document to correct any mistakes. Use our university professor CV sample as a guide to get started, and then move forward to create a personalized document using our CV builder that includes industry-specific text examples.
What is the difference between a resume and a CV?
Though resumes and CVs contain a lot of the same information, a CV offers more detail than a resume. Specifically, youâ€™d add honors, awards, and publications to a CV, but not to a resume. You can also add relevant hobbies and interests. CVs are also longer than resumes, so donâ€™t worry about trying to fit everything on one or two pages.
What is a curriculum vitae example?
Think of a curriculum vitae example (or CV example) as a blueprint of sorts. It displays all the essential ingredients that make up a CV. You can use a curriculum vitae example as a guide when writing your own CV.
University Professor CV Must-Haves
What Does a University Professor Do?
University professors provide learning experiences to students in postsecondary education, as shown in the university professor CV example. Professors typically have expertise in one subject area and spend their days teaching classes. In the classroom, they may facilitate discussions, assign classwork, or monitor assessments. In their planning time, professors develop strong instructional opportunities for each subject, using university curriculum standards and subject matter expertise. They may also hold office hours to advise students about their grade or progress in the course. Professors additionally offer advice about research projects. They also have a responsibility to the college community to publish important writings or research to help promote academic achievement in the organization.
Tips for Creating a Great University Professor CV
Your dream of working for a top university can finally happen if you make your CV better than the others. Here are some ways you can achieve this important goal:
- Proofread your CV several times before you even think about sending it; it may also be wise to have a colleague review it and offer feedback.
- Provide compelling reasons why you should be hired in a well-written professional summary that shows off your best characteristics.
- Focus your CV on a specific open position and university by carefully reading over the job posting on the college’s website.
- Explain how you have helped students improve their analysis skills and writing knowledge with specific details.
- Give examples of your ability to teach and deliver effective instruction in the classroom by listing details in your work history and skills section.
We can help you build your professional CV
- Professionally designed and formatted templates
- Expert suggestions for filling out every section of your CV, customized by job title
- Easily create different versions of your CV, customized for different jobs