The job outlook for sales managers is bright, which is good news if you are planning to send your resume or CV out for such positions. However, there will be plenty of other folks also applying for the same openings, so putting thought into your CV helps it stand out. For instance, the sales manager CV example below lists a few quantifiable accomplishments. In fact, because you are in sales, it is all but necessary that you must include metrics. After you read the example CV, check out the end of the article for a few more tips.
Build Your CV
355 Lark Hollow Lane , Roanoke, Virginia 11111
E: roberta.l.gonzalez@anymail T: 555-555-2234
Friendly sales manager with seven years of experience in car parts sales. Proven record of handling multimillion-dollar accounts. Well-versed in motivating team members, opening floodgates to exponential sales and revenue growth, and retaining customers. Credentials include a masters degree and coursework in statistics and marketing.
- Led rapid expansion for nationwide car parts retailer XYZ Acme Car Accessories.
- Took part in 20 percent business growth in first two years on job.
- Expanded territories through personalized business relationships, customized mentoring, and streamlined operations.
- Oversaw 100 accounts for businesses averaging $10 million in annual revenues.
- Handpicked to oversee top accounts with ABC, John Doe, and Crazy Motorcycle.
- Designed and executed plans for trade shows to generate high ROI.
- Worked with suppliers and vendors for a regional car parts supplier.
- Visited plants and distribution centers to learn more about operations and product quality.
- Negotiated discounts, sometimes up to 20 percent, on terms such as advance payment or long-term customer status.
- Assessed price proposals and competitor rates to determine fair prices.
- Reviewed and signed contracts with prospective suppliers and vendors.
- Made final decisions on the basis of quality, availability, price, and customer support.
- Sold Ford vehicles for a local dealership.
- Developed rapport with customers by listening to their concerns and being honest with pricing and vehicle answers.
- Won several Salesperson of the Month awards and a trip to Hawaii.
- Anticipated customer objections to successfully close 80 percent of initiated sales.
- Trained junior sales staff.
Love all things physical, including baseball, whitewater rafting, and geocaching. On rainy weekends, always make time to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea. Creative pursuits include landscape painting and macro photography.
Sales Manager CV Must-Haves
What Does a Sales Manager Do?
A sales manager can wear many hats, as this sales manager CV example shows. For instance, the managers work in customer service, financial preparation, planning, and training. Depending on the job, they may work with businesses selling products or services to other businesses (B2B), or with businesses who sell goods or services to individual customers (B2C). In either case, sales managers deal with people who have pain points that need solving. The managers supervise a staff of salespeople who make it their business to explain how they can help with the pain points, and sales managers often do some selling as well. To measure how effective the sales staff is, a manager tends to use quotas, territories, and sales programs. Managers also develop customer recruitment programs that may involve online inbound marketing, cold calling, in-person visits, and discounted plans.
Tips for Creating a Great Sales Manager CV
This sales manager CV may have given you some ground to stand on. As you write your own customized CV, keep a few things in mind.
– Use sales statistics when possible. They can include how much profits increased, how growth in your department, territory, or company outstripped growth elsewhere, or how many salespeople reached or exceeded quotas.
– Clarify whether your experience is in B2B sales, B2C sales, or both. If your experience is in, say, B2B sales, and you are applying for a B2C job, be sure to list skills and competencies common to both fields (cold calling or employee training could be one).
– Explain your digital competence, and use a section titled “Digital Competence” if it is exhaustive. For instance, you may track a sales force over several states using a certain program and hold daily or weekly video chats with certain sales personnel.
– List your accomplishments and job responsibilities in a way that they demonstrate your communication, leadership, and analytical skills.