Job Description & ResponsibilitiesData entry is all about speed, accuracy, and attention to detail. A data entry clerk enters information into computer databases for effective record keeping. Daily responsibilities include:
- Organizing files and collecting data to be entered into the computer.
- Analyzing the data for errors.
- Reporting problems with the data.
- Accurately entering information into various computer programs.
- Keeping sensitive customer or company information confidential.
Data Entry Clerk Resume RequirementsIf you have a secretarial degree, then include that information on your data entry clerk resume. However, a college degree isn’t required for most entry-level positions. In addition, most employers will place more emphasis on the following characteristics:
- Typing speed: Superior keyboarding skills are a must for this job.
- Computer savvy: Include the names of computer programs that you’ve worked with in the past on your data entry clerk resume. Data entry clerks often use office systems like Microsoft Excel, so draw attention to anything that may make you stand out.
- Precision: Companies base all of their pricing, promotions, and other key decisions on the information from their computer databases. Improperly transcribed numbers can cost them thousands of dollars, so potential employers are looking for people with meticulous attention to detail.
- Independence: Data entry clerks often work in cubicles, so you need to be able to keep yourself on task.
Data Entry Clerk Advancement OpportunitiesWhile entry-level positions typically pay about 10 dollars per hour, a few years of experience will allow you to make between 15 and 20 dollars. So, it’s a good idea to update your data entry clerk resume after you’ve gained some real-world experience. Since the job is all about precision, your data entry clerk resume needs to be impeccable. No one will trust you to accurately enter important information into their company’s database if your data entry clerk resume is full of typos, misspellings, and bad formatting. Review MyPerfectResume’s data entry clerk resume examples to get an idea of what employers are looking for.
The Ultimate Job for PerfectionistsIf you can type, format documents in computer programs, and have an obsessive desire for accuracy, data entry is right for you. Find out how to create the perfect data entry clerk resume.
Daniel Clark1 Main StreetNew Cityland, CA 91010Cell: (555) 322-7337E-Mail: email@example.comSummaryDetail-oriented and organized Data Entry Clerk extensively trained in spreadsheets, transcription, word processing, and desktop publishing. Over 10 years experience managing multiple data entry projects at once. Transcription expert focused on delivering high quality results in a timely manner.HighlightsReport generationDocument managementStatisticsConfidential informationProficient with 10-keyFiling systemsData archivingTime managementMeticulous attention to detailResults-orientedExperienceJune 2011 to CurrentFaerie Yarn Works New Cityland, CAData Entry ClerkManage complete data entry and customer support functions for yarn and craft website.Assist owner in streamlining system to facilitate growth into wholesale business.Enter customer orders, vendor receipts, and invoices into offline system.Compile statistical reports on payments, orders, and outstanding invoices.Transcribe phone messages for owner and manage email communications.August 2006 to May 2011Vine Lawn Supply New Cityland, CAData Entry ClerkInput hand-written customer orders and cash, credit, and check payments into system.Gathered statistical information about clients and purchases, and created reports for owner.Confidentially handled business tax information, legal documents, and customer information.Drafted invoices for vendors and past-due letters for customers.March 2003 to June 2006JD Wholesale Book and School Supply New Cityland, CAData Entry ClerkUpdated records for customers and employees on a daily basis.Supported additional functions in administrative, payroll, and reception areas as needed.Processed over 3,000 customer orders per month.Logged payments and refunds into system.Worked with owner to improve data system and convert to computer-based ordering and payment format.